Teach Me Tyrande

I’ve been playing Tyrande this past week and I’m really liking playing her. She was always one of my favorite heroes and I played her back in 2015 but that’s it.

I’ve just ran into some trouble.

1. I don’t know what talents to pick or how to utilize each talent.
  2. I can’t tell if I’m playing her well or not.

Talents I use:

Level 1: Everlasting Light or Mark of Mending but I don’t know if I’m using Mark of Mending Efficiently
Level 4: Lunar Blaze, I feel like the range is good for locking down fleeing opponents.
Level 7: Moonlit Arrows, but that’s only because I didn’t realize the cooldown reduction was baseline.
Level 10: Starfall. I figure its good for objective zoning, pushing forts, and teamfight damage. I’ve tried Shadowstalk a few times but I haven’t figured out when is the best time to activate it since the stealth is required to heal and if they are in team fights, they might not be able to just sit in stealth.
Level 13: Quickening Blessing is the only talent I’ve tried, but I suspect Harsh Moonlight is a really good talent.
Level 16: Celestial Attunement. I think cleanses are very important in the game now.
Level 20: I pick the upgrade to the ult I chose, but I’ve tried Iceblade Arrows also.

I usually average about 0-4 deaths, 0-3 kills, 10k-20k siege damage, 15k-25k hero damage, and about 40k-60k healing. I don’t know if that’s good or not. I try to compare enemy Tyrande’s and they’ve been at that or better. I have only seen a crappy Tyrande once and that’s because she sat in lane the whole game. Anyway, I know healing given isn’t worth much if I don’t save my allies but in general, that’s how my stat sheet is working

Some of you Tyrande players/mains are probably laughing at me right now because of my talent choices, and you probably should be. I want to start playing more heroes and I like Tyrande and have seen very good ones.

Lastly, how do I know if its my fault my allies die or if its their’s for not retreating or playing smart. Sometimes I see my allies fighting outnumbered in a different lane while I’m with another hero keeping them alive. How do I choose who to heal when my team is all split up around the map soaking and what not? Just general tips on her play style would be awesome. I need all the help I can get. Just, be nice please. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Dunno what kids call it nowadays but being able to keep steady movement while weaving in your basic attacks can help a lot.

Remember Hunter’s Mark. It can also be useful to point out a target. The debuff is good against tanks and other picks who bring latent armor (in particular it takes a bite of Muradin and ETC’s survivals).

There are lots of ways to run your heal but basics will get you both charges back at once which largely means if it goes on cooldown at all, you should consider trying to burn both charges before it ticks back up.

Remember Sentinel is as much good vision as poking. Especially, bring it to bear against stealth picks.

Both ults have a time and a place. Consider consulting allies as they might wish to strategize around one in particular.

Try not to build like you’re a ranged assassin. The temptation and potential are surely there, but you are a healer and your team will need your healing more than what little extra damage a damage build will bring.

2 Likes

She is the last 2 seasons my most succesfull healer. I wont write a guide but here is some few tips

Basic att whatever you can even walls. If you need to heal your team but they waveclear to fast. Tell them that (yes this is a thing I do almost every match)

I recommend elunes chosen over the other lvl 1 talents simply because she can heal more then 1 target effectively without using mana

D the target your team is focusing . Even if its a tank
(Also bosses)

Both ults are good. On big maps I like shadowstalk more to global heal

Use your owls for scouting and last hits or dmg reduction Not for dmg. Its not that big and you can better save it for when you need it

During skirmishes always have 1 q stack ready and fire it before the cd resets. In case your ally gets picked off you can cast 3 heals on him

2 Likes

Do you win? :stuck_out_tongue:

I wont. Your build is, imo, Tyrandes beginners build. Its good idea to start with this one.

lvl 1
Even after nerf, Elune’s Chosen is go-to pick for me. Its simply that good. This healing goes for heroes like Malthael, Greymane, Tracer, Genji, Kerrigan and so on when they dive. MAYBE, if you dont have high value dive dps on your team, when its more about poke, you can choose Everlasting Light, but ultimately Elune’s Chosen is best imo.

lvl 4
This tier got only 1 talent and its Lunar Blaze. Simple as that.

lvl 7
Either Q talent, spell armor will be probably better against high spell damage (Orphea, Jaina). The higher spell damage, the better spell armor is.

lvl 10
Either ult is fine. Just remember healing one is healing over time. You pop it when your team dives, but it can be sometimes useful to use globally for your solo laner for example.

lvl 13
Harsh Moonlight is still best imo, if you can use it obviously, but Rangers Mark got potential. I would say Rangers Mark is in the middle of the learning curve.

lvl 16
Funny thing, imo, worst Tyrandes tier. Empower combos with HM, but not that much. On the other hand, cleanses are great, but its lvl 16… Cleanses if you need them, Empower when you dont. Tbh you pick best among the worst talents…

lvl 20
Ult upgrades are cute, but its still either Shooting Star or Iceblade Arrows. SS increases you kill potential and helps you stay away from damage. IA decreases enemy damage dealt (a little bit of extra healing at this point is pretty irrelevant).

So you either increase own kill potential or decrease enemy one, you have to pick. Both are viable, but I prefer SS. If you build it up before the fight, you got nice stunlock.

For general tips:

• While Tyrande doesnt have some major mana issues, she will, if you try. Stun almost always as a follow up. W only for scouting camps/boss. Pretty useless otherwise until lvl 13.
  • Tyrande is… situational clutch healer. Lucio, most of the time, is supposed to keep your teammates as high hp as possible, as long as possible. Tyrande is opposite - she is supposed to keep your teammates alive, those who need it the most at least. Dont be surprised when your team wipes the floor with enemy with 10% hp left or you have to sacrifice someone. She is somewhat similar to Tassadar, but with raw healing.
  • Focus, a lot, on follow up and general cooperation with tanks. Pay attention to your tank and use E+D at the right time.
2 Likes

elune’s chosen
blaze
moonlit arrows
game dependant
harsh moonlight
empower
stars or iceblade arrows

1 Like

Right now I have like a 52% win rate so I guess so lol

So I guess you could say you play her good enough, but sooner or later (preferably sooner) you will have no choice but step up your game. Q spam wont be enough forever.

1 Like

So getting better at Elune’s Chosen?

Every single Tyrandes button have to be used at the right moment basically.

2 Likes

Well so far I appreciate everyone who has posted something. Any bit of advice is useful. I’ll await any more replies from others. I hope this thread helps me, as well as any others wanting to learn Tyrande.

I’d just like to reinforce that you absolutely can ask your team/lanemate not to waveclear quite as quickly. You may not always get rewarded for doing so but a good teammate will slow their roll for you.

2 Likes

Think that is one of the things that seperate a good player from a bad one.
Like picking up regens for your ally even tho you are full, or leaving stacks for naz/azmo

@ threat I went trough all of the talents after the last balance patch. it looks cleaner when you click on it

1 Like

Cries in LiMing

Sorry to necro this but I have some questions about talent synergy.

Mark of Mending (Level 1), Huntress’s Fury (Level 7), Ranger’s Mark (Level 13), Celestial Wrath (Level 20)

• When Celestial Wrath marks enemy heroes, do Tyrande’s AA’s apply the splash damage effect from Huntress’s Fury to these targets?
  • When Celestial Wrath marks enemy heroes do they allow all of the marked targets to give healing to the attackers from Mark of Mending?
  • Lastly do auto attacks against enemies marked by Hunter’s Mark through Celestial Wrath reduce the cooldown of Lunar Flare?

If Celestial Wrath applies all of these effects through the other talents, is it worth it to pick them?

I’ll be honest - I’m just guessing because D tree is simply bad* and I see no reason to pick it (maybe except stun CDR). But overall, just by reading the description, I would say yes, it all works together.

Celestial Wrath (Level 20)
Starfall applies Hunter’s Mark to enemy Heroes while inside of its area of effect.

If talent description said untalented Hunter’s Mark then all of that wouldnt combo.

2 Likes

Well I’m happy for that synergy, but sad it probably wouldn’t be a viable build. Oh well.

Thanks for the explanation though.

Also, update! I feel like I’ve been playing her better and healing better. I’ve tried Elune’s Chosen lately and its helped me heal more than 1 ally at once as long as I keep auto attacking. I still can find it hard sometimes to kill enemies and in certain comps I still die a lot but I think that’s just me sucking at the game, not necessarily the hero.

Thanks to all the replied to my thread. I appreciate the efforts you put into helping me learn Tyrande. I wouldn’t say I’m SL ready but I’m getting there. I’m still open to any more advice or help on playing her. I appreciate everyone’s input. :slightly_smiling_face:

Assuming Im right tho.

Everything can work, just some thing will work more often than others. I guess in less organized games it will more often than “meta” build. There are 2 problems:

1. Tyrande got highest kill potential among the healers (I guess its arguable with Uther). You want to turn the fight 4v5 as soon as possible and you got tools for that. Extra healing from D is useless if D target lives for 1-2 seconds (as it should lol).
  2. Celestial Wrath is quite honestly an unncecessary overkill, not to mention that building your hero around lvl 20 talent is questionable idea.

If you got CC to root enemy team in place - Starfall is already a massive dmg boost.
If you dont have CC, enemy can just move away and mark is irrelevant. Additionally, there is usually little to no difference between single target armor debuff and AoE armor debuff. In either case, as almost in every TF, you are supposed to focus 1 target. When that happens, when TF is 4v5, you basically won. Celestial Wrath doesnt help with that, at all. SS does.

1 Like

I didn’t think of all of those aspects. I guess if you have CC you can damage the enemies more and heal your allies through that build? I mean if you are on a point like in Volskaya Foundry they won’t want to run away and lose the point so it could help zone out the enemy or get kills if the enemy decides to stay.

At least that’s my mentality. But to wait until level 20 for that, I don’t know. Seems kinda useless in short games but I bet there’s a lot of value in longer games. Thing is, you don’t know how long a match is going to be right off the bad. By then, you may or may not have chosen the right talents. Interesting stuff.

I’ve seen people say they don’t like Tyrande anymore but I still find her fun. She’s definitely not the easiest hero, but she’s still really fun.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes and no. Let’s say you AA player 1 that is afflicted with D while players 2, 3, and 4 are also afflicted by D. The secondary damage that hit the other players when AAing player 1 doesn’t add bonus CDR towards E when you picked Ranger’s Mark at 13.

I just meant that if I AA someone who has the marks given through Celestial Wrath I can get the cooldown reduction. Since I can only AA one person at a time that makes sense.

1 Like