Support Ended for DX9 and the 32-Bit Client

With the October 16, 2018 patch we will be ending support for DX9 and the 32-bit version of the Heroes of the Storm client. DirectX has had several major releases since DX9, and the vast majority of players in the Heroes community are now running the 64-bit version of the game, along with DirectX11 or higher.

This means that the Heroes of the Storm client will no longer run for 32-bit users Please also note that while the 64-bit Heroes client might still be playable on some machines using DirectX10, this may not be the case for all configurations, which is why we recommend that all our players upgrade to at least DirectX11.

For the original announcement: CLICK HERE

7 Likes

Yet StarCraft II is still stuck with DX9 for what it seems like eternity…

7 Likes

Lovely blizzard please for the love of god give sc2 some very much needed cpu optimization, i have seven very sleepy cores wanting to participate in sc2 tasks!

7 Likes

My PC runs DX11, but without DX9 HotS is still unplayable for me.

I guess this frees up my schedule to play more singleplayer games.

3 Likes

hmm it seems that blizzard have forgotten about fans with weaker hardware

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s great news and all. Too bad it seems that for me and almost all of my friends who play HotS 64bit client has massive memory leaks, it has come to the point where once I had 10 gigs of RAM clogged by HotS, or maybe it’s just that it somehow keeps using more and more resources whereas 32bit is limited to about 4GB. All I know is that recently I got my gf to play the game and it kept happening to her as well until I switched to 32bit, so the problem keeps persisting, on multiple machines with different specs and systems. I hope that before you guys enforce 64bit on us you’ll address this issue.

1 Like

Well, there goes my attempt of returning to the game I guess. xD
Sry guys, but as long as I have mountains of SP alternatives in my Steam backlog and only 2-3 games on the other side to justify the needed OS swap (this game included) there’s no way in hell I’m gonna do it.
Whatevs, good luck to y’all for your future Nexus adventures I suppose. :slight_smile:

The only reason to support 32bit was Windows XP which is obsolete for 4 years already. Also, you can freely use a 32bit key to download a 64bit ISO ( get it here legally: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/ ) and use that one instead to obtain a x64 Windows installation.
DX11 GPUs aren’t that expensive anymore either.

Let’s hope in the coming months this means a more optimized game. Show us what you can do bliz.

i hope someone writes a hack how i can make hots thinking i have 64 bit version

Is that a reason that my game keeps crashing on launch, saying that "Graphics device is not available at the time, just after last update I donwloaded, even though I have x64 windows 10 system (I suppose x64x HOTS client too) and it worked before juts fine

I don’t know what you did in the last 9 days, but currently HotS is playable for me under DX11 for the first time!

There was still an UI bug that crept up but I haven’t seen it since I turned down the shaders. Otherwise it runs as well as under DX9 for me now.

Thank you HotS Devs, had me scared for quite a while!

1 Like

When we getting spectating for pals?

Bliz killed people from playing WoW with slightly older compters and now Heroes. Guess Bliz will have to raise the price of all of it’;s games since I bet they just lost half of there players by forcing onlu 64 bit version.

2 Likes

Nice, so now HotS is unplayable for me.
I have I7, 1080 and 16gb ram and 64bit version giving me lot of lags.

If u have any tip how to repair tell me, ty.

lets say 1millon people play hots onyl 1 prozent have 32 bit and 1 prozent have directx 9 so you loose 10000 people for 32bit and another 10000 people for directx 9. nice one blizzard if you want more people to go and play other games mission acomplished! and the game is on starcraft 2 grafics i dont think today the game will look better.

I guess I won’t be playing HOTS anymore… the memory leaks in the 64-bit client crash my system. I don’t see the point in removing the 32-bit client if you can’t code the 64-bit client properly.

10 Likes

It’s nothing to do with our systems not being capable. It’s the terrible optimisation of the 64-bit client.

5 Likes

I have a very strong PC overall, and a gtx 1070, on the 32 bit client I’d happily stay at 120+ fps but the 64 bit client is near unplayable. Present tense, even now 32 bit is unavailable the 64 bit client remains unplayable. I don’t know the details of the problem, I know there was a clear memory leak in beta and it has frequently had poor performance since, I know that even at 60 fps it feels unresponsive and there may be input lag.

It may be convenient to stop supporting the 32 bit client, but as you’ve never actually made the main client functional it’s going to lead to fewer players, because I’ve seen a lot of people, including on occasion pro players comment on these issues. I’m not interested in playing an atrociously optimised game personally, others might be, and others might not have problems.