Smurf accounts good or bad?

Is there any reason not to have one or more Smurf accounts? They seem to encourage it with this broken reporting system . Is it their way of artificially inflating the number of players ? it’s just silly and ineffective way of dealing with their problem customers . Long live the smurfs see you in the nexus

2 Likes

Only real reason for a smurf account is because at the very high end you get some really ridiculous rainbow games stacking for gms, if you can get a decent timer que.

I can be a rather toxic healer main and i’ve never been silenced - there are boundaries simply don’t cross them

1 Like

so no reason not to have one then

2 Likes

Smurfs are bad, and they lie to you when they say they’re not, I consider that as cheating.

5 Likes

all well and good but not a reason not to smurf

1 Like

Smurfing doesn’t really inflate the number of players, because only the number of players online at the time really matters, and it isn’t like you can be playing your Main and your Smurf at the same time… Well, unless you are Sora or Shiro from No Game No Life.

2 Likes

It is but blizzard is endorsing smurfing with the last year changes

5 Likes

I can understand when M+ players are forced to make a smurf account in order to play SL with their friends, since when they enforced the new rule to limit party of 2 into queue (in, probably, a stupid attempt to stop boosting).
In every other scenario, smurfing is for those who just wanna have easy game against much lower players to boost their own ego. And it’s childish at best as behavior.

5 Likes

Toxicity doesn’t get people silenced, reports do. If you never get reported you will never be silenced = depends on the players you play with and the mode you play.

You could also be the friendliest person ever and get silenced like Grubby did. All it takes is enough reports.

2 Likes

I agree smurfs are bad but I made one during a stressfull period. I wanted to play a little bit tryhard and had more fun (I dont like qm) ironicly enough that account made it higher then my main.
I also did it to dodge a real life friend. She wanted to play ranked with me and was holding me back. But didnt knew how to say it to her. She was a onetrick li li with only one build and also played a bad alex (horrible circles). I carried her to diamond, now we no longer speak and she is gold 4

I tried heroes I wasnt good with like Jaina and Tyrande and now im good with them and “main them on that account” So as a trainings account it also works great.

But many people use it for boosting or just as a egothing unfortunatly

1 Like

There are also those who are forced to create smurfs, because it is easy to abuse the reporting system by giving everyone reports right and left, regardless of whether the person is guilty or not. Five years this poor system and the light at the end of the tunnel is not visible. Like the hidden MMR, one of the main problems in the game has not yet been resolved. It was as if the developers had specially created such a system that would generate toxicity and malice in the players.

2 Likes

Or simply by playing infrequently… one could be the biggest, most toxic scumbag of them all and say the most heinous, racist things but not get banned/silenced/whatever if you simply play infrequently.

It’s rather silly.

The system also makes it so that it’s “okay” to occasionally flip out if you normally behave.

As for smurfs, they’re a big problem in my eyes. They smash lower level players, particular newbies who are important and the bronzies.

And it’s not losses that makes a person quit a game and uninstall. It’s completely onesided stomps. And when M+ players smurf, that is going to happen a lot. And going to completely throw off newbies to the game.

Also messes up with the matchmaker and screws with people’s MMR and what not.

3 Likes

Most people who say “I never got silenced” are not those who play 15 Storm League matches a day.

They’re those who played 3 matches a week or only stayed in AI/QM.

(I have not received repeat silences, but I also do not agree with the argument that ‘if it didn’t happen to me, it doesn’t exist’.

I did get silenced once in around 2017 or 2018 though, after playing tons of games in a row, and I made a forum topic about it since I was in a 5 premade meaning I got silenced by enemies).

3 Likes

You can have up to 3 accounts.
So it’s allowed to have smurfs.
I did so many time road to bronze-master that i lost count LOL

1 Like

A very typical thing. There was even one guy on these forums who was on that side. He was even going “I play 10 ranked matches a day, but still not silenced” so i asked him to provide proof of that.

Turned out it was more around 1-2 ranked matches a day.
Pathetic, really…

3 Likes

Having two-three accounts for various playstyles - pro approach vs. trying out heroes vs. playing with friends - is sensible, and you’re going to get a fair MMR out of it.

Smurfing simply for the purpose of getting free wins comes at the expense of match quality. I have real fun watching Fan’s videos but I also feel sorry for the other 9 players involved. Being a gold in a supposedly gold match, your influence is tiny, compared to the GM or Bronze swinging in. Sure, it evens out in the end, but those very regular stomps don’t feel good, nor useful to learn from. The game just devolves into a big dice roll.

1 Like

Well I agree that Grubby is really friendly, and I admit I don’t know the exact circumstances of his silence, but…

Based on the many streams I saw from him, even he uses chat messages that can fall into the “legit reportable” category (sometimes he can lose his cool too and gets more and more snatky, tho usually he deletes most of those messages).
So when ppl bring up Grubby as example for the proof of the injust report system, I’m still not convinced that much.

Iirc, I heard he wrote a ticket and his punishment got lifted. Ppl can say cuz he’s who he is and that won’t happen with a random player. I disagree. I think if your ticket shows that you are not someone toxic, they lift yours as well (at least, I was falsely silenced on the forums and they removed it after my ticket).

2 Likes

His first ticket & live chat got ignored, then he called a friend at Blizzard (game master) who recognized him and it got lifted.

But if it was an ordinary person back in the day, maybe he would have been less lucky…

Though I heard their policies have changed now, they are not as rude as before and will actually review tickets before insta-closing them.

3 Likes

And people lie that they are smurfs also, “I’m a Master on my main account actually” proceeds to play like a Gold… Get out.

Same thing happened to Alex from Linus Tech Tips, got banned for no reason, couldn’t even get a reason out of live chats, then got unbanned because subscribers got loud, something like that.

2 Likes

The solo purpose of smufing is to get high winrate and free wins. And then later on 5 man premade to high rank in SL.