Ridiculous point loss for bad netcode

I’ve just started playing ranked after years of QM. Tried to grit my teeth and finally put in enough games to not be autoplaced in gold next season. Then at my plat promotion match that I waited 10+ mins for I disconnect briefly and reconnect after about 7 seconds. Everything is bugged. I wait for five mins or so, restart the game, and instead of having an option to rejoin, I have lost 600 points.
Worst part is, when I disced I tabbed out to check my connection, everything was up on my end.

This completely kills any drive I have to bother with ranked. Not only do you get to grind through gold because you haven’t played ranked before, despite having a 70% winrate after placement. When you finally do get ready to graduate from wood league to banana league the game badwordsarenotalloweds you over. Whose idea was it to subtract six hundred points for this? I had preselected my hero and everything… Why not just let me rejoin?

Just happened to me as well. My internet dropped for a split second and I was kicked out of bnet voice chat. About a second later Bnet reconnected and I reconnected to voice chat, but my draft screen reloaded and was stuck on “Waiting for Players” and my friend got the boot. I’m now in my demotion game. This is purely a small connection issue (happens once every few days) and bnet/HOTS does not know how to recover well. Every time I am in a game and it happens, I am stuck on the “waiting for players” forever and have to end the task, restart the game, and then rejoin. Running a ping test shows my ping will flick up to around 100-200 rarely, but I never lose internet on my side. It’s a chore in QM, and it is gutting when it happens in ranked. Any chance for a reconnect algorithm refresh down the road?

1 Like

This isn’t the proper forum for feedback on the ranking system. Ultimately the reason for leaver penalties is that regardless of reason for you leaving the game, your disconnections result in your team being down a person, adversely impacting their ranking as well.

If it happens often enough to actually be impactful to your rating as opposed to a one off occurrence, I recommend troubleshooting your connection. If you just want to provide feedback, you can do that here.