Red vs Blue Abilities

I have a nitpick which gets me killed once in a blue moon. It’s rare to happen, but when it does happen it really annoys me.
There’s certain abilities in the game that are just naturally blue or naturally red.

The only real Red example I have is DW’s drop in which can get me off guard sometimes when I’m not sure if I’m supposed to dodge the circle or not. It’s especially silly when both teams have a DW which happens once in a while.
There is no clear way to tell if it’s your DW coming down or not. And even if your team is the only one with a DW it can still get confusing.

There’s a few other red abilities but they don’t really bother me such as Butcher’s Lamb to the Slaughter or Rag’s Sulfuras Smash ult.

The Naturally blue abilities invoke the opposite response from me such as Fenix’s Planetcracker which is always Blue. In my group we often times have a Fenix player in our midst and we’re super used to planetcracker being on our side. But suddenly an enemy fires it right through the teamfight and we forget to dodge it ;D
Whoopsie

There’s also Probius’s singularity, Mei’s slurry zone and Medivh’s time freezer ult, all of which are very good at lulling you into a false sense of security just because they’re blue ;D
Those I don’t really mind at all either because the psychological effect of those abilities seem to compound with the nature of the abilities as well.
Their looks are designed to be underestimated and when you fall for them then you only have yourself to blame ;D

Long story short. I’d like DWs landing zone to be blue for allies and Planet Cracker to be Red for enemies. That’s actually it

Cyberhawk Kael’thas ultimately forced them to change the entire color scheme of Sky Temple (probably cheaper than reworking his Flamestrike animations) from a bright gold to a darker color.

Tons of players could not see the yellow Flamestrike cast on the ground on that map.

It was also one of the official skin bans in HGC.

1 Like

o lol really? I didn’t know that ;D

Also blood elf tyrande had an invisible starfall on sky temple, which was fixed with the same patch.

1 Like

Huh. Guess I haven’t gone against a Fenix who picked Planet Cracker. I just assumed it would be red for enemies.
Diablo’s Apocalypse is an example of an ability that’s “naturally red”, but the allied one looks blue anyway (used to be his angelic skin had it blue even for enemies, but they fixed that exactly because of the kind of trouble described in OP).

Tassadar’s new black hole also looks like a “naturally blue” ability to me, but the enemy one is red (and looks real creepy :stuck_out_tongue:)…

Agh! Why can’t they be consistent?! :confounded:

it depends on the ability if it’s a problem or not.
If Diablo’s Apokalypse was blue it wouldn’t be quite as confusing as planet cracker because it shows up underneath your enemies only. So from that it gets more obvious.
But yeah, still good that they changed it.

I think planetcracker might still have those red lines around the blue beam. To show it’s an enemy attack, but it’s kinda easy to over look that lol

The DW landing has no indication at all though I’m pretty sure. If it’s ally or enemy looks completely identical.

If my my memory serves me right then they’re actually different. Some people gave their feedbacks about the matter really early and the devs fixed it. I believe the inner circle is more red-ish for enemy Deathwing.

the only way to check now is to go into try mode against a DW bot and hope they go fly ;D

1 Like

Huh planet cracker? The big bright beam covering 1/4 the screen? Its not subtle in anyway and doesnt need help and harm color coding. Once in a blue moon you might get 2 fenix in a qm where color coding might be helpful. Otherwise, is the fenix on their team? If yes then avoid the easily noticeable big bright beam.

I mean does diablos lightning breath need color code too?

If kaels flamestrike is blending in with an alex heal circle then we have a problem. But getting planet cracker confused for an ally PC is lack of player awarness and not color confusing problem. at some point people need to know what their team has and what enemy team has and identify some of these spells and skills being used.

Harsh words. I don’t disagree but it would still be nice if there was a subtle color difference.
Though my bigger point is definitely the DW landing.

I was WRONG! :sob:
Actually, his ultimate and his landing both have different effects for enemy and ally DW from day one. The devs didn’t fix anything because it’s already a feature.
Comparison of enemy and ally DW’s landing: https://imgur.com/a/qeopEl5

1 Like

iiinteresting… I should watch out for that next time.
I had games where i saw them side by side repeatedly because one DW would trigger the other one to land too ;D
But I got really confused with it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind this change. I’ve definitely had plenty of “OH S” moments with some abilities because of don’t stand in the fire habits.