Ranked Play Toxicity

I’ve been pleased to see that in QM, players seem to be sniping less at one another nowadays. But unfortunately, the toxicity in ranked play seems to be just as bad as ever (at least in Platinum 1-3).

In a five-player team game, one person is always going to be the most experienced player and one person is always going to be the least. And when you’re placed into a ranked game, you are getting matched with people of similar skill. So it’s odd to me that every ranked game devolves into sniping and insults, even when my team is winning. There’s always someone on the team who is raging against every perceived slight.

I think it’s important to remember that even an MLG player is going to suck if he insults and alienates his teammates. That shouldn’t be anyone’s default response. Particularly in ranked, as soon as a player dies, the insults come streaming in, as if the player isn’t already aware that they made a mistake. If a teammate makes an error, you can help them get better. Insults just bring the whole team down.