Ok, I'm going to make a pledge here

I admit it. I am a freeloader.

I have played HotS for more hours than a lot of games I own. Even not counting the 20 or so games on Steam that I never played after buying them. (The only one I actually remember is “Bully” I really should play that)

But despite being one of my most played games (currently competing with Fire Emblem 3H.) I barely ever spent a penny on it.

Pre 2.0 I bought the cheapest hero bundle. Can’t remember what it was called but it included Raynor and Malfurion, and I think it gave 5 heroes.

Then I bought the “Shadowpaw Lili” and “Infested Tychus” skins, but only when they were on sale which I think came to about 3-4$CAN each.

I also bought the Mecha Tyreal bundle. But that was with gems I already had from playing. I have 90K gold right now. And I’d have more if I never re-rolled any boxes.

There’s a lot I like about the game, and a few things I’d like improved. I can stand here all day deploring the small team they have to do everything, and complaining about things I’d want added. But there isn’t much legitimacy to any of my complaints when I don’t do a thing to support the game I play the most.

So here and now, I pledge to spend at least 5$ a month in-game. It’s not much. But I know every week, I’ll spend that much or more on something absolutely useless. So it might as well go towards something I enjoy, helping them make more of it. And I’ll no longer feel like a hypocrite complaining that he’s not getting enough free cake.

21 Likes

Im guilty too!

However the only money id spent was pre 2.0. After 2.0 i was just patient and farmed shards for any skins i wanted lol

I spent way too much pre 2.0…then 2.0 came along and everything I bought was now free. After that and the introduction of loot chests I didn’t feel compelled to buy anything. There were some “exclusive” skin packs…I remember wanting the Alex one, but I felt they would again change the model and it would be free to forge with shards. That’s exactly what happened.

The other reason I’m put off spending now is the game being in maintenance mode. I’m concerned I could spend money only to have the game not shut down exactly, but no new content released.

Blizz did quite well enough out of me before this, so I’m not going to feel guilty for once. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I spend maybe 200 $ on gems for stimpack and a couple of hero on sales. It’s not much compare to the amount of time I spend playing the game, but it isn’t nothing.

I think I bought a 15$ for a stim pack last november. Not quite sure why thought, probably was drunk when I did.

1 Like

Same here. However, that’s my approach to all video games. I wait for sales, and am generally frugal about everything. If I can farm things for free, it’s even worse.

It’s honorable that you’re commiting to that. I would have preferred that there was some kind of subscription or upfront purchase cost, with more guaranteed content. However, my friends don’t play as much as before. If the monetization model was always a subscription, more frequent content may have kept them in the game.

Currently, I don’t feel motivated to spend money, other than to show support as you stated.

4 Likes

Being drunk and with money usually never ends well , you got off easy if it was only 15$😂

4 Likes

My modding hours probably out matched my Heroes of the Storm playing hours and that says a lot.

2 Likes

My last purchase was a whole year of Boost (or the Virtual Ticket which I bought only to have the NexusHeart portrait and to support the game, but dunno that actually supported HotS or not).

I used to always buy gems when there were free celestial mounts included with gem purchases. But since that stopped …

3 Likes

pre 2.0 i spent couple hundred post 2.0 maybe $10 … zero guilt

I used to buy the annual boosts but I stopped after the stealth changes.

And my tf2 hours probably exceed your modding hours :stuck_out_tongue:

And my modding hours exceed the tf2 hours again (considering all the games i have been modding for, i could have spent over 10k hours on it in total, which has been collected in like 20 years). Of which 80%+ is spent on map making.

1 Like

It a bit of a chicken or egg situation. Where they’ll never get a larger team if the game doesn’t bring in money. But they need content players want to buy.

I honestly always wondered the strategy behind 2.0. The amount of stuff you get for free doesn’t leave much space for them to make money. Even boosters show up in loot boxes.

Overwatch is printing money with Loot Chests! Let’s relaunch the game to get more players into it growing playerbase/marketshare WHILE also raking in all the money from loot boxes!

So basically:
Loot Boxes are good in a different genre involving PvP with a different game that costs money upfront. So we want loot boxes!

But it’s completely different. Everyone who plays Overwatch has to pay a full price game.

1 Like

that was my point. it’s a different game.

Here, here!

(I just bought a year boost. Works out to 8.33 Euro/month. Talk about cheap entertainment, and it’ll pay for itself in increased gold and gems/shards from leveling faster.)

2 Likes

In Hots 1.0 I spent about 100 dollars on heroes, back when gems didn’t exist and you used cash to buy them from the store.

No regrets though, since I got thousands of hours of entertainment in return. I’ve never spent as much time on HotS as on any other form of entertainment. Even the few games I bought in the past for $59, I played for maybe a hundred hours at most.

Hots has infinite replayability and despite its’ various matchmaking issues etc., I just don’t get bored of it even after 5 years.

5 Likes

Few things. First, for those of you that say it’s in maintenance mode… maintenance mode usually doesnt consist of new content… simply keeping the game balanced and as is. Which 2 coders could do at this point, not the team of 8+. Second, they pour their hearts into this game with an extreme lack of support from blizzard so props to them. Third, I’ve played this game since beta (not bragging) a minimum of 5 games a week, with up to 50 in a week. I have ALWAYS had a stim pack. It’s an incredibly cheap subscription to a great game I enjoy. On top of that the boost gives you more gold… which means I haven’t had to buy a hero with real money since probably the first year the game came out. (And even then I spent more than 120k in gold on master skins-- still kinda bitter about that lol). In the end I will always have a boost minimum. And will gladly pay 30+ for a new rag skin… :slight_smile: go team hots

5 Likes

I spent a lot long ago but reached a point of self sustaining some time back. At the moment, I have the gold to get the remaining few heroes I don’t have, but I’m not a big for of those heroes.

Anyway, rather that more logging and adding up what all I got, I’m out! I did get that 10 pack of heroes long ago for 30 or less. I forget.