Nvidia Driver update Broke your game

On oct 11th there was a Nvidia driver update, That causes HOTS to stutter every 30 seconds, The framerate drops to zero. Then picks back up. It’s impossible to play the game in this state, After the Oct 11th driver update I rolled back to the previous driver, And HOTS was magically fixed. I have tried to download every subsequent Driver update with the same results. 3 times now I have rolled back the driver, However there is a new driver released today 11/26/2018 That you have to have installed to run Battlefield V. So its either or at this point.

This is no threat or anything but, I have been playing HOTS since beta! I have many in game purchases, And I am quitting because of this issue. Hopefully somebody at blizzard will see this and get the issue fixed. (note I have submitted the problem to Nvidia Via the driver report function, And nothing has happened)

i dont think you realize how the real world works. things dont happen over night. in fact, just so you dont have any high hopes let me crush this right now.

a couple years a go when i was still running an nvidia card a bug occurred in the drivers. it prevented me from updating as well as many others with the same card. why you may ask?

well, the card was stable with one set of drivers at that point. updating to the newer ones would cause windows to have driver crashes frequently and in some games they would even crash too. this lasted for around 4 driver updates before NVIDIA could figure out what was going on. its not a simple thing. eventually though i was able to update my drivers and ‘most’ others could. ya, it didnt fix everyone.

that whole mess left a bad taste in my mouth personally. which is why im running an R9 390 right now. its being very nice.

Hey guys,

I’m expiriencing the same issue.
Always played with the June driver, until BF5 forced me to update.

Anyone found a solution?

try this:

• uninstall your nvidia drivers, nvidia control panel, and other nvidia software (geforce experience and stuff)
  • use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to remove any file remnants of the drivers
  • install one of these drivers …
    • v.388.13 is stable but breaks something like PUBG is what it says. plus if you play like Battlefield its not going to work on older than 400 series drivers.

• v.391.24 or .35 these some say are stable as well and fixed certain issues like with PUBG… but broke GSYNC. nice right? …and for some ppl the .35 version stuttered.

• v.416.81 if you really need it for stuff like Battlefield, Tomb Raider, Witcher, Far Cry… etc.

This suggestion comes from a thread with a 1060 user, but other 10xx series cards are similar with their drivers.

1 Like

Thanks, worked for Hots.

Sadly BF5 requires 416.94. Looks like they changed the requirement.

Maybe you can linke the named thread?

the notes on drivers above are copy and paste from an old thread i made to help someone else on my main account. :slight_smile: so its pretty much word for word what you see there.

however, what you may find helpful is
https://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-nvidia-geforce-vista-%7C-7.html

it has a list of the drivers and users comment about them on some of them telling about the performance or problems they may have. like when some drivers may cause stuttering or hang ups.

returning to update some links

388.13 – http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/388.13/388.13-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe 
391.24 – http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/391.24/391.24-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe 
417.71 -- https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/417.71/417.71-desktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe&lang=us&type=TITAN 
419.67 – http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/419.67/419.67-desktop-win10-64bit-international-crd-dch-whql.exe

Thanks.

Issue is fixed now.

Done the DDU driver removal, and installed the 417.81 afterwards. HotS perfect, BF5 not.

Installed the brandnew version (came out that day) and both worked perfectly.
So I cant tell if it was the new driver which fixed it, or the DDU.

Thanks for your help anyway :wink:

1 Like

This thread saved my hots. Thanks Moro for the DDU + revert back to 388 solution, I was going insane with these constant game freezes.

The sad part is now my hots is fixed, but I don’t have and won’t download the upcoming nVidia patches for new games… kinda sucks…

1 Like

dont worry, eventually it will be fixed. i was in a similar situation when i had a 560Ti. it must have been 5 full patches before i could update because their drivers caused my brand of card, along with many others that werent a reference version obviously, to crash and have poor performance. so i was stuck on an older version.

oddly enough im using AMD now.
…and the same thing now. :laughing:. they added some new features in the drivers some time ago and it caused all sorts of bugs. so i am waiting for them to clear that up before i update. it causes some weird flickering and glitchyness in some games for me on certain textures. very annoying!