New hero/event ever happening?

It’s been almost a year. December 1st was the last hero release (Hogger). Starting to feel like the game has been abandoned by its creators. Haven’t seen an event in a long time either. Don’t we usually have a Halloween event in play by this point in October?

1 Like

Not anymore. Not enough devs.

1 Like

sigh, the least they could do is cycle old yearly events back in.

1 Like

They do, just not all of them. We’ll get previous skins for the holidays, but I’m not sure about Halloween.

I hope to be wrong and have two events (chests), but my guess is they will add the Halloween skins at the same time they release the Christmas skins.

2 Likes

Aw man, I remember last year and the year before was like the best events ever. It’s sad that it had to come to this though

We do, but someone at management decided not to make any collection updates until the ranked season ends, which should happen in 4 weeks.

We know nothing. But there’s like 30% chance we’ll get a new Hero :thinking:

This is all rumors, but I’ve seen multiple people suggest there’s barely more than 5 people left on the entire HotS team, if that. Just about everyone else has been laid off, reassigned to another project (D4 or WoW, specifically), or resigned from Blizzard entirely to pursue better career options (often with Riot or Dreamhaven).

I don’t have much hope left, at this point.

There are 3 stages of “ded gaem”-- when development of new content halts, when balance maintenance halts, and when the population drops so low the game is effectively unplayable.
It’s looking more and more like we’re fully into the first stage.

5 Likes

That costs money, and Activision won’t give the HotS team enough for that.

1 Like

At this point they would just do Toy event 3 with winter/halloween items in same event.
They cant even manage to do a single event anymore.

1 Like

The game is really abandoned.

1 Like

Another example of a labor of love having it’s original purpose twisted to compete and contrast with everything on the market and dropping in popularity.

Not sure what they could’ve done different to make the game a lasting success but they missed hard with the advertising and the F2P model has always been wild.
I think the problem most players had was with map objectives. Even if they could break out of the “I NEED gold so I can snowball” mindset mobas train you into the objectives were strange and inconsistent to newer players because it’s very easy for them to end up doing nothing if you don’t use them right or get steamrolled by them if you don’t know how (or lack the comp) to defend against them.

1 Like

Well there’s been that whole lawsuit thing going on.

Activision has been slowly strangling HotS since well before the lawsuit.

4 Likes
  • An event is an investment, it is worth configuring if it brings in enough money.
  • Old players might get away without actually purchasing anything.
  • They just have to consider retention. Between the lawsuit, the full-on woke cancel culture across other titles, and WoW payment changes on top of having paid already so much and ongoing cost, HotS is currently my only Blizzard game with a very mild WoW itch. I will be very sad if someday I truly decide to leave Blizzard behind, for I have tons of lovely memories, art and gameplay. It shouldn’t be hard to stretch this game forever, Valve is trying. For once I stop opening the Blizzard launcher, I’ll be a forever lost customer.

My old suggestion on the matter is regionally priced Blizzard sub. In my case it would be around 5€ worth and based on game time it would throw 1-2€ to HotS. Not much, but it adds up.

Oct 18: Balance Patch
Oct 30-31: Teasers
Nov 1: PTR
Nov 9: New season, new hero

2 Likes

I don’t see an October balance patch happening, September’s is too recent. And I strongly hope a hero is released but, who knows.

On a hero release, there’s little balance to not stir the meta too much. It’s possible to not have a balance patch for 2 months since the game feels more balanced than ever before, but still, Oct 18 would be the best spot to have a balance patch.

Is that happening or is that just conjecture?