New forum syntax guide & details about Trust levels

Probably, this forum barely scratched 100k posts, if memory serves right it reached about 60k~ posts in the first 100 days of the forums, so in reality it takes about 15k posts minimum to read instead of the 20k cap.

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct, the OW forums are so active they probably reach 20k posts every 2 - 5 days depending on the thread, the 25% rule is actually ridiculous there so it caps on 20k, on smaller communities it would make more sense to have it being 25% instead of “pass” 20k posts read.

Could they change the %? Yes, but I think most of the requirements are still pretty similar with the default rules from experience and other’s mentions.

Yes for very big forums, not really for smaller ones.

Hey so can you really just scroll through mega threads to count as reading? Thought you had to look at a post for like 2 seconds

1 Like

Yes, pretty much, they did this with the Mercy mega threads that passed about 20k posts~ on the Overwatch forums lol.

Only 7k away from 20k. Do you have to have a certain number of posts created?

1 Like

that is a good outline and i was using it that same kind of posting for a while too. only it has the annoying issues of not allowing your easy formatting so you have to do everything through tags. also you have to type so much stuff copy and paste is definitely your friend with that.

actually what i found to work best? is this…

CELL1 CELL2 CELL3
1 2 3
A B C
|CELL1|CELL2|CELL3|
| :---: | :---: | :---: |
|1|2|3|
|A|B|C|

this is a header block. it takes what is in the “CELL1-3” blocks and creates the line separator for the header. also note the : in the second line. these are alignment notations. :--- left, :---: center, ---: right

|CELL1|CELL2|CELL3|

these are just normal data cells which are aligned onto each of the header columns.

|1|2|3|
|A|B|C|

examples:

CELL1 CELL2 CELL3
Numbers
1 2 3
4 5 6
Letters
A B C
D E F
|CELL1|CELL2|CELL3|
||**Numbers**||
|1|2|3|
|_4_|_5_|_6_|
||**Letters**||
|A|B|C|
|_D_|_E_|_F_|

vs

CELL1CELL2CELL3
**Numbers**
_4_
_5_
_6_
Letters
A
B
C
D
E
F
<table>
<th>CELL1</th><th>CELL2</th><th>CELL3</th>
<tr><td></td><td>**Numbers**</td><td></td></tr>
<tr><td><div align="center">1</td><td><div align="center">2</td><td><div align="center">3</td></tr></div></div></div>
<tr><td><div align="center">_4_</td><td><div align="center">_5_</td><td><div align="center">_6_</td></tr></div></div></div>

<tr><td></td><td><div align="center"><strong>Letters</strong></td><td></td></tr></div>
<tr><td><div align="center">A</td><td><div align="center">B</td><td><div align="center">C</td></tr></div></div></div>
<tr><td><i><div align="center">D</i></td><td><i><div align="center">E</i></td><td><i><div align="center">F</td></i></tr></div></div></div>
</table>

this is just showing that you “can” do the same things…but its extremely annoying to do it. you have to type out all the tags everywhere. since your little formatting buttons will not help you in this case.

edit:
changed table examples to include centering the text inside the cells. i believe it looks nicer that way in the tables and it only adds a few colons to the one table. for the tag based table it added a bunch of extra work though :frowning:

3 Likes

New Derp in things here… If you are quoted by someone with your portrait shown… You cannot link/display that portrait without Trust level 3…

facepalm

(I mean, I get it… But it is pretty silly…)

1 Like

Hey so what’s the requirement for level 3? 20k read posts or 15k? I’ve heard both

Either read 25% of all things created in the last 100 days or reach 20k to get that requirement check marked.

1 Like

Hmm yeah I’m not qualified yet. I’m pretty sure it’s just posts read at this point

It usualy is. And its because its the most unreasonable requirement. If you truly are reading every single post for 10 seconds. It requires 200k seconds to read all of the 20k posts you need. Which is enough for 55hours of reading time.

But i guess thats also why they set the limit, there are plenty of posts of 1 line that barely add anything to conversations, so maybe only 10% of the posts is actualy valuable and takes up more time (yes, there are also valuable ones that you can read in 10 seconds, but thats not realy a problem on this requirement).

But i think its bad that certain posts who can easily take several minutes of reading only count as 1. Is there realy no way to detect people reading such long post?

One of the things i would recommend to do to get to level 3, is to make sure you are reading 100 posts every time you are online. Click open the 10 post threads even if they arent interesting (like the ‘i want a surrender button’ threads) and just quickly scroll through them. It will take a while to reach the requirement. But eventualy you reach it.

Nope, but there’s a way to see if you read that post or not, near the date of each comment there’s a blue dot that appears which implies that this is a post you didn’t read, it will fade after 2 seconds implying that you actually read that, and count as a post that has been read.

It triggers on much less than 2 seconds already though. Its just the fade that brings the appearance of it taking 2 seconds.

(and also, i think i just reached level 3 :O)

1 Like

Congratulations, this is in your .json file for you profile.

1 Like

I already checked it on my profile after i typed that, i noticed it on the wrench icon which stated a wiki option.

1 Like

Which makes it that anyone can edit your comment, don’t use it to much, some people are just, too drunk when they figure it out.

1 Like

Its more likely that im not going to use it at all. I think the only feature i would use would be to post a screenshot and thats about it.

Its not like im able to make maps in this game, and write information on how to do some stuff in the level designer. And even in then, in tf2 most of those guides arent even a wiki anyway. Most of the time a simple forum post can do more than enough

1 Like

The new forum platform is live today for Hearthstone if you want to share this knowledge over there too. ^^

1 Like

SAMMMIIIIIIIIII. I’m sad. I got jebaited hard dude.

It says I have 20k posts read but I think I don’t have enough days or something? ANALYZE ME

It’s probably the days just from the look of it do note you have to maintain that reading count with the day visits or else you gotta start reading more again.