My Post for the New Owners

Sounds like a contradiction tho. Based on your latter message there is no justification for Qhira and Orphea, because hardcore fans don’t get other favorite characters. I disagree with it, because you can’t satisfy everyone there will always be someone, who is mispleased.

While yes Hots is a game like Super Smash Bros where story is irrelevant, because it’s based around characters from different games and it’s nice, but it wouldn’t hurt the game, if it has an own story. Another game that comes close to this design is Final Fantasy Dissida / Dissidia duecim and I like this game personally.

1 Like

The contradiction is due to your misunderstanding of this.

We already have 2, I won’t complain about them. I can’t change the past.
But I don’t want more for the reasons I mentioned.

3 Likes

You don’t want and I want. You see the conflict?

Only two different opinions/desires. Not a contradiction in my stand.

Blizzard Brawl

That game was so much better than it had any right to be.
Incredible sound track (well handled remastering and modern versions of old tracks as well as a good handful of new songs), great VAs, the story was really well managed for an All-stars game on top of FFs track record for having really convoluted and nonsensical stories.

It’s 9am and I haven’t slept, rant inc:

Disapproval of OCs is an easy to understand notion. Blizzard has about 30 years worth of gaming history to pull names from but instead develop these nobodies with a barebones background that they can slap a LoL-tier kit onto and vaguely promote lore. At least that’s the case with Qhira.
Orphea has a bit more structure and relevance to her while having a unique take on a dive mage. I was opposed at first but now I don’t mind her so much.

I wouldn’t strictly be opposed to more OCs if they had as much forethought that Orphea did but with the roster already getting a bit crowded and prospects for future heroes still dim (at least for the foreseeable future maybe :flushed: ) I’d rather them put their resources into beloved characters that already have a history and personality they can work with.

The reason I touched on you mentioning Dissidia is for this as well. I’m someone who absolutely loves the character fantasy in video games. I was drawn to Dota 2 initially because for a game of it’s kind it had surprisingly deep lore and all the characters personalities were very well fleshed out; Unique and interesting all in their own ways.
Dissidia managed that too. While they had to take liberties with some characters that only had a few lines they still managed to stay true to all their core values and made them as relatable as possible.

Maybe I’m just pessimistic and drunk on nostalgia but many newer characters just don’t have the kind of weight to their character as the fleshed out ones do.
Without a history we can call up all we have to go on are their generic attack lines and maybe some light-hearted interactions at the starting gate.

While Hi-rez might not be the best example, the game Paladins just released a hero named Azaan that’s basically Imperius. A high lord of the heavens that’s arrogant and wrathful.
When I played as Azaan I couldn’t really get a feel for his character. Sometimes he was angry and vindictive, other times he just didn’t really care much or seemed out of it. I couldn’t blame the VA because the lines were sincere enough but the writing just couldn’t deliver lines that had proper character in them.
With Imperius, you don’t even need to play D3 to understand that the dude is an a-grade a-hole. His words are dripping with casual contempt toward enemies and allies alike (DO YOU EXPECT THANKS FOR FUFILLING YOUR DUTY?!), and when he’s serious you can tell he’s willing to plow through any obstacles head on and leave only destruction in his wake.

While that level of care is possible in random Nexus originals I seriously doubt it’ll happen, unless it happens to be a happy accident.
I’d rather they just do whatever they did in the past to make loveable gems like Tychus and Zul’jin.

3 Likes

You gotta speak for yourself here.

I’m actually tired of Blizz IPs recycling everything. So I was happy to see Nexus heroes.
You can’t satisfy everyone. Fans were crying because the Nexus heroes released instead of “Insert old character from old franchise here” when the game was on the decline. The nexus heroes were going to release at some point.
Remember when people were crying when a Blizz IP hero released and the one that they wanted didn’t?
People are still crying cause two out of nearly 100 heroes are not from old IPs…Get. a. grip.

5 Likes

Give us the option to mute threads made by people on your ignore list.

2 Likes

I always thought it was funny when I’d get someone tilted beyond belief in my ranked games crying about the teammates he’s been getting when he’s the one clearly throwing the game and I see them in the forums later playing the victim and advocating for a change in the system.

4 Likes

I wanted this, then I forgot that I wanted this. Thank you for reminding me that this feature is super important.

2 Likes

Tell me about it! We spent so much time trying to figure out who the new hero was, specially after they stopped making basically 1 hero every month, then it was a new one.

I like Qhira, new hero, new world, new lore etc etc etc, but she just got released at the wrong time. It was very unfortunate.

6 Likes

Qhira’s launch being as awful as it was was a consequence of the Team getting cut, before the team cut they had some work done on several heroes down the pipeline and before Orphea’s lukewarm response, Qhira was being designed with intention for release at the following Blizzcon with a year of potential buildup in Lore similar to what Orphea got in the comics

Then the team got cut and suddenly the option was either launch Qhira and get something to us, or have literally nothing ready before Blizzard, given how much people were whining about the release schedule even at that point between Anduin and Imperius I don’t blame them for thinking Qhira was better then nothing.

2 Likes

I am 100% positive I wasn’t the only one who predicted a Nexus Original based on that very first teaser we got. The purple used and the shape of what we now know is the fragment of Iresia’s Singularity, the Mother Crystal as Qhira refers to it.

Though at the time I predicted it was going to relate in some way to Luxaria (For those unaware that’s the realm where Sky Temple and Tomb of the Spider Queen take place).

3 Likes

Yeah, I remember some people saying we would get another nexus hero, but most people didn’t wanna believe that since the cadence of releases had slowed down a lot.

1 Like

When I first played HotS and Raynor got summoned to the Nexus he seemed confused, wondering why he was there, as was I. They made it seem like the heroes were needed in the Nexus.

That perfectly ties in with how Nexus heroes like Orphea needed those heroes help. She wanted to overthrow her father, but needed help to do so. (Haven’t read the comics. These are just my thoughts). So she summoned powerful heroes from across the Blizzard Multiverse to help her and there came heroes and villains.

That was my first impression of the game. That they were called to the Nexus for a reason. Once Orphea and her comics came to light, I immediately thought of it like she called these heroes so they could help her. Qhira could fit in by being summoned as well since she’s supposedly a fierce and really good bounty hunter tasked to kill or whatever.

Without Orphea, what purpose does the Nexus pose? A battleground for fights we’ve already seen before with heroes we already know? I understand that people have waited years for their favorite heroes to have their spotlight in the Nexus, but heroes like Orphea and Qhira add their own story to the mix (even if their stories aren’t as fleshed out as those from the other Blizzard universes) and make the Nexus much more interesting to me. We have 90 heroes and people are still complaining about 2 of them? Come on now…

2 Likes

isn’t towers of doom a struggle between the gravekeeper and the raven lord?

isn’t cursed hollow taking place in the raven lord’s realm? maybe as a trial or for his own amusement as the mechanic of the map has the 2 teams fight over tributes to present to the Raven Lord, which after 3 he curses the other team?

isn’t volskaya a map where 2 teams brawl with the intent of testing a new technological marvel - the protector?

like i dunno, do you need even more than that?

2 Likes

I enjoy both these heroes and the added bonus of Nexus original heroes is the flexibility they give the Dev’s to design heros free from established kits and lore.

I’ll admit I get more invested in big name heroes from established IP’s but when we were adding up to four hero releases a year, Nexus originals didn’t detract from anything.

1 Like

What kind of question is that? Why is it so bad that the Nexus lore is (well could’ve been if not for the budget cut) explored more deeply through a couple of heroes every so often?

Exactly. Of course we all have our own Overmind’s and Baal’s, but a couple of Nexus originals sprinkled in between shouldn’t have been a problem. Well it shouldn’t have, but in the current pace of release I’ll agree that big IP names should be prioritized.

1 Like

HotS doesn’t need Nexus Originals for Lore.
We got more Lore from Skins than from Orphea and Qhira. Not talking about Maps (Announcers, the Core’s structure).
Orphea has her Comics, but even those are filled with RealmLords and our Heroes.

What we learnt about the Nexus through Orphea and Qhira?

Orphea:

• her nan exists

Qhira:

• Iseria
  • Iseria is gone

They didn’t even driven the story. Orphea was just watching what her already known father does to already known characters and in the end she just decided to become a Hero.
And Qhira? She’s just there.

It can be argued that the devs could give us more Lore about them, but that’s just begging the question tbh.
We need Lore so the Heroes we added for Lore give us Lore? So we need Lore for Lore? Well obviously. But we need no new characters to learn about something we already know.

What HotS should’ve done is create Lore, then if that Lore sticks to the Community they add characters to the game.

We could have Comics, Trailers, Easter Eggs, ingame Events and maybe some StoryMode or just its elements to set things into motion naturally.
But sadly HotS handled its own Heroes the same way they did their eSports: rushed and forced.

And again, I like Orphea and Qhira. But they were handled poorly, even Orphea.
Establish the characters first. Then sure, add some here and there.

But asking for more random madeups? Why? Why pray for something so vague into a game that is so well described? Ask for more Lore first. Ask for characters that have their story and place in the Nexus. Than we can talk about who would be cool in HotS as a Hero. Especially over the ones fans are waiting for ages.

Like my biggest issue with “I want more Nexus Originals” is, that if the characters we already have wouldn’t exist and would be added as OGs, these ppl would love that, because “wow og”, but they’re just like all the others.
“This is Cenarius, Nexus OG. He is the protector of the Garden of Terror. He was sealed away by Neithis.”
“This is Baal, Nexus OG. He is a big threat from an unknown world. He is the big firey orange threat that cornered Oberon into unleashing the Dark Nexus.”
“This is Guldan, Nexus OG. He is the embodiment of the Dark Nexus, Power Incarnate!”

Like to me this all looks like just a mindless desire for something new. Or to something that only exists in HotS.
But this game is about nostalgia and crossovers.

(Ps: we know from Stukov, Garrosh, Mei and Hogger, that the kits are not that limited in creativity by the characters they inspired them.)

4 Likes

While I do agree with some of your points, I have come to enjoy and embrace the two Nexus heroes we have. As Ozy said, I wouldn’t want them to release any new Nexus OG heroes in Hots current state.

I hope you’re ready to face the wrath of Melke? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

To be fair, they were going to release much more lore, comics and stuff, but hots got the axe before that.

2 Likes