My PC shuts down when I launch the game

My PC just keeps turning off in a weird way when I try to play. It is something that has been happening since about 3 months ago, I have seen other threads about it and it seems to be an issue with Ryzen processors, but neither of these posts has a solution to it. I can play without problems on any of my other PCs (i5 8600k and FX 8350) but it keeps crashing on both my 1300X and 2400G Ryzen. I read that it was probably an issue with overheating but I have been checking temperatures, voltage, everything is fine, no temp is ever over 68°C and it doesn’t happen with any other, more demanding games like Overwatch, GTA V, Black Desert (this one fries the GPU but doesn’t turn off my computer).

I was using a 500W PSU and recently upgraded to 650W on my 2400G but it keeps happening. Also tried to swap the graphics cards (R7 360, GTX 1050Ti, GTX 1060, RX 580) and test it on my Ryzen setups but it just keeps happening. I also tried a fresh Windows install, tried it on Home and Pro editions and it just keeps happening without any possible explanation but an issue with the processors.

An old thread about this same issue mentioned it was probably due to overclocking, but I have set the clock to base frequency, higher freq and even lower freq but it still happens no matter what I do. I have tried all the possible bios CPU configurations, turning off cores, disabled SVM virtualization but it just keeps happening.

Also tried to see if there was an error log in the Event Viewer but the only log related to it is that “the previous system shutdown was unexpected”.

The only solution that has worked so far was reinstalling the game or playing it after it has just updated. I can launch and play the game without issue as long as it is a fresh install or a patch just downloaded, but after I close the game and try to launch it again it turns off my PC as usual.
EDIT: I just tried “Scan and repair” in the Blizzard App to check if it has the same effect. It doesn’t and just turned off my PC AGAIN.

Since reinstalling solved it I also considered the problem was related to the config files saved in my “Documents” folder, I deleted the folder and let the game create it again, still not fixed and my PC turned off.

About the my PC “turning off” it does turn off but “weirdly”, the “Power” LED stays on but everything else just stops (fans, HDD, MoBo RGB) and I can’t turn it on again unless I turn off my PSU/unplug the power cord and wait for like 10 seconds for the power LED to turn off.

This has been the most f*ked up and weird technical crap I have experienced trying to play a game in like 20 years.

Sorry to hear this is happening Nabeshin.

To be completely honest this type of issue is a bit beyond our scope of technical support that we can provide. While the game launching may be what triggers the PC to shut down, it is not the root cause. The game simply does not have the functions to tell the PC to shut down. Only the operating system and BIOS can do that.

Computer Restarts or Shuts Down While Playing a Blizzard Game

Since this is only happening on your Ryzen systems it’s possible that there is a BIOS issue occurring. Make sure you have updated the BIOS and chipset drivers for the motherboard to the latest version.

There’s also the possibility that there’s a hardware issue or power delivery issue occurring. Since you mentioned you’ve tried different power supplies and video cards, I’d lean more towards a motherboard or CPU issue. Hopefully updating the BIOS will help, but if not you may need to contact the motherboard manufacturer or consult a local PC repair shop to help diagnose further.

1 Like

Thank you for replying and I feel dumb for not trying that. Last time I updated my BIOS was about 2 years ago, I’m updating the BIOS right now and I hope that works.

EDIT: it’s working flawlessly. Thank you so much Jambrix for guiding me to solve this. I never considered it was the BIOS since it was working without issues until recently.

EDIT2: I’ve been BAITED! I launched the game like 6 times and it didn’t crash while launching, I played 1 game and it didn’t crash after the loading screen (sometimes the game launches but turns off my PC when getting into a game, right after the match loading screen), then I close the game and launch it again 1 hour later and it just turned off my PC. I guess I’ll just bend over and take the never-ending, currently 3-month long leavers queue.

Nabeshin,

Unfortunately there’s not a whole lot of other things we can suggest here if the BIOS update didn’t work. I can give you a couple utilities you can test on your own, but I’d expect a hardware issue of some sort and you likely need to take the PC to a local technician for more help.

The first thing I’d have you try is a RAM scan. There are two different utilities I usually recommend for this. The first is Windows’ built in memory tester. The second is a third party application called Memtest86+. Memtest86+ is better but a little more complicated to use. If you need help with this utility, you’d want to look around online for advice for how to use it, since it’s not our application.

Apart from that, I recommend a stress test to try to duplicate it without the game running. We’re going to try checking for overheating on the CPU or GPU by running a stress test. For this, I like to run three programs - HWMonitor for hardware sensing, Heaven Benchmarking Tool to test the GPU, and Prime95 to stress test the CPU.

You’re going to need to download these three programs, and run all of them simultaneously. For Heaven, try running in windowed mode at the high graphics setting. For Prime95 you want to run the “Blend” test. All of these need to run for 2-3 hours, so I recommend doing it at a time when you can casually monitor your HWMonitor results and keep an eye out for extended periods of overheating - like during a day you’re cooking something or watching a movie or something.

Regardless of what you find with this test, typically you’ll need to take the PC to a local technician to resolve it. For instance, if the CPU is overheating, you’d want them to check the thermal paste on it and make sure there’s no problem with the heat hardware. If prime95 hits you with a RAM error, you’d need to check to make sure they’re socketed correctly, and that there aren’t any defects with it.

If you can run the test for more than 2-3 hours without an overheating CPU/GPU, then get some screenshots of the test and send them in to us, we can peep them real quick to see if we can find any problems we’d support. To do this:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

Fair warning, however, if this doesn’t discover anything, your best bet is definitely going to be taking the hardware to a local tech to see if they can find out why you’re getting full system shutdowns, or work with Microsoft to identify the source of the problem.