My husband and I keep getting placed on US West from Australia, or we get hung queues

If we both queue with best match as our selected server, we get US West most of the time (the rest of the time the queue hangs indefinitely). If we both queue with Australia as our selected server, we get split between Australia/US West/hung queue. If we both queue US West, we get US West or a hung queue - or sometimes even put on Australia. Note that best match should be popping us between Australia and Singapore.

Related, but not always seen with this issue:
Server options shows US West as the quickest connection at 8ms. When I was living in California it was not that quick, so it’s quite silly that Perth, Australia keeps being detected as that close. We’re on the same internet connection - sometimes my computer will show 8ms, sometimes his will, but never both at once. Rebooting a ton hasn’t been fixing it, nor has a modem restart. The above issues happen even without this error, so I think it’s a secondary effect or a symptom, instead of what’s causing it. This issue happens once every 1-2 months for a few days and resolves on its own, but it definitely corresponds with hassles like I’ve noted above. However, the hassles happen even if this issue isn’t occuring. When this issue occurs, my husband’s PC also shows his ping to ANZ/SG as 60+ while mine shows 45 (actual ping is around 60) and my ping to US West shows 147 (actual ping is 220).

Notes:

• Tracert showed no weird lag or hangups
  • Restarted modem and PCs multiple times
  • Posted about this issue before (see prior posts)
  • We swap regions to US West often (my PC much more than his) for better matchmaking as Perth is several hours behind Sydney and often we need to hop to US West for things like brawl
  • My MMR is much higher than his. The hung queues happen far less often on an alt account I made to play with him (so it could just be broken matchmaking causing this for some game modes?)
  • Game modes we experience this in: AI, brawl, QM, ranked. Unranked draft has never popped for both of us on either of my accounts and we give up after 20 minutes.

Update 7/14/19:

This issue is still ongoing and it’s very frustrating. We both queued together for brawl today - in Australia, the brawl queue usually puts us with AI teammates, so we each selected US West. We’d rather deal with the lag than with the horrible AI. We were both put on Australia. We restarted HOTS and tried again, with US West selected, and got put on Australia again.

This only happens when we group together. If we play alone, we can select whatever server we want and things work fine. When we group, the server selection goes completely wonky and doesn’t match with the servers we have selected.

go to your in-game options and check under “Language and Region”.

make sure that Preferred Game Server is set to the correct region instead of Best Match. this may help you.

As I mentioned above, manually changing to Australia still puts on US West sometimes. We’ve already tried this solution.

In addition, best match is our “preferred server.” We live in Perth, Australia, and Singapore/Sydney are both the same distance/ping, so best match (when queuing solo) draws from both servers for overall shorter queue times. The issue happens when we queue together, regardless of what server we pick.