MVP deserves more than being at the centre of the screen lol

Whoever is MVP should get more coin, xp, gain more point in ranked if they win and lose less point if they lose. What’s your thoughts?

1 Like

Although I would certainly agree with you initially. After having a few games where the player with the lategame hero intentionally stretching the game longer than it should be just to get mvp, I fear this to becom the norm if there is even further incentive than just being on the front screen.

Not to mention theres plenty of instances where the mvp person clearly did not deserve that title and was just mindlessly clicking on enemy team’s tank to deal highest dps.

That said though I would love this if they tweaked the scoring so that the ones who deserved it were to get it most of the time.

This topic comes up every now and then, and the main problem with this idea is that it is too easy to pad specific stats that are weighted heavily by the MVP algorithm, which may actually be counterproductive, especially if you know you will lose less points.

Since the time spent dead is a major component of the MVP calculation, your tank may not want to engage when they should. If you top both siege damage and XP gained, you have a good chance of winning MVP if you ignore objectives or team fights and just keep pushing.

Here is a good example of what I mean. I won MVP, but when you look at the stats, was it truly deserved?

I mean, I did provide value in that I was taking camps and creating a great deal of lane pressure, which meant their Zeratul had to deal with it (and me), so couldn’t spend much time harassing the rest of my team. But was this more important than the fantastic healing done and kills secured by our Kharazim? Did this go as much towards winning the match as the damage output from our Orphea?

I honestly can’t say that I deserved more points (or deserved to lose fewer) based on the MVP screen, when I didn’t do anything particularly outstanding, in my opinion.

8 Likes

I’m not sure how they could tweak the way it’s scored to get it to be more accurate. If they did somehow perfect it, this gold/exp bonus idea would be an amazing tool to get players to play their best.

The thing is, you simply can’t. There is no one set of numbers that can accurately measure how much a particular individual contributed to what is truly a team game. When I am playing Anub’arak, the damage I mitigate through shields, spell armor, and beetles intercepting skill shots is far more important than the damage I take. The Damage Taken stat then becomes far less a decent measure of my skill, especially when compared to an enemy Diablo who is designed to be a punching bag. A perfectly executed dive and stun combo on Anub contributes just as much to the success of a team fight as the barrage of reset damage from our Li-Ming, so how do you incorporate that into the calculation?

Which is more MVP-worthy, the 200k healing provided by a Lucio simply existing, or the clutch save from a perfectly timed Uther D Shield that turns a team fight and proves to be the game-ending play?

While it is always a fun little ego boost to see your hero front and center on the end screen, I honestly think that is all it should be. This is too much of a team game to create a tool that technically inspires selfish behavior.

3 Likes

Agh true. Also taking into account how you can play almost every hero differently to suit the conditions you are in to win, it’s not like they can base their system on how every hero was played either there’s too many variables to consider. This doesn’t look like something they could focus too much time on.

If MVP was always justified, I might agree, unfortunately it’s way off half the time. I also feel like they’ve made it harder for healers to get it these days unless they put up a high number outside of their main responsibility like XP or damage.

I’d be happy if they just removed the MVP screen entirely.

MVP is only cosmetic and should not give a single penny as reward.
So what is next. Make a ‘‘play of the game’’ too like OW has

MVP screen should just get removed since it never shows the whole picture of the game and always reward bad players with some uselss titel.

1 Like

This. Not to say you didn’t play great, as I don’t even have the replay, but Kharazim probably deserved MVP for that match. And likely would have gotten it with just 1k more healing.
Orphea is a strong contender too.

With how heavily MVP is slanted towards damage dealt and KDA, I’d say that MVP deserves to have even less focus than it does at the moment.

It’s way too easy to pad your stats in a way that makes it more likely you’ll get MVP without contributing meaningfully towards actually winning the match. Especially if you do everything to just stay alive without participating in whatever your team is doing.

Certainly no, because the MVP algorithm is flawed and some heroes get MVP way easier than others by stat padding.

1 Like

The mvp nice, feeps good, but not representative, its system can be abused, so let’s just keep it a mere visual.

1 Like

MVP can’t calculate player expectations.

A ranged assassin could have a mediocre performance and get MVP, while a tank could have a phenomenal performance but not get MVP.

2 Likes

I agree that healing (not self-healing) needs to be given a bit more weight. Other than that, I do agree that the MVP should receive a small reward.

I’m so sick of hearing “system can be abused.” Well, pretty much every system in the world can be abused, that doesn’t mean we should completely disregard them. The practically of abusing the MVP system in this game is almost impossible. I would love an explanation of how you would abuse the system.

This doesn’t work. Padding your “stats” (I assume you only mean siege damage because what else would you be padding) doesn’t give you enough kills/assists to even be considered close to MVP. Takedowns are far and away the most valuable “stats” toward the MVP system. So how are you going to “pad” those takedowns? By showing up to every team fight and winning with your team?

I’d rather have “play of the game” personally. MVP shouldn’t grant anything special besides the spotlight for 20 seconds, mostly because of how badly its evaluated.

literally never seen this. i think it’s a myth :expressionless:

also, the mvp award being so ez to get with muh stat padding is grossly overstated

No its not. The tank could me setting up great plays and allowing the rest of the team to be able to perform at their best while securing kills and doing tank stuff, but the Naz gets MVP because he laned the whole game and has the highest XP/siege and contributed nothing else.

Please show me an MVP/stat screen where this happened.

No, they aren’t. Look at the screen capture I posted earlier. I had 9 total takedowns, none of which were kills. Our Kharazim participated in all 11 of our team takedowns, and also didn’t die. How is it fair that I won the MVP instead of him?

3 Likes

Next time I encounter one I will. Also I believe Hoku posted one above. You should take a look.