Massive Framerate Drops

I recently upgraded my computer (i7-9700k, 2080ti, 32gb 3200 mHz ddr4 ram, 2tb ssd) and I still get massive framerate (from 144 to as low as 10) drops. The only thing that I can think of is that my game is not running in 64bit mode. This is not the case. Another possibility is that I am lagging and that is causing the framerate drops.

This is preventing me from enjoying the game at 1080p @ 144 Hz

I went through a massive upgrade two years ago and went from smooth gameplay to a stutter every 10ish seconds. Literally tried hundreds of things and nothing I read online worked. After months of not playing I uninstalled Nvidia’s geforce experience (to do a clean install for something else) but tried Hots without it and the issue was 100% gone. Hope it helps.

HotS doesn’t even have 32 bit mode anymore, so that’s 100% not it.

I’m assuming this isn’t the problem, but did you plug the monitor into the motherboard, or the GPU directly?

I could imagine some weird case where the integrated GPU is runningHotS for some reason, but that wouldn’t explain hitting 144hz, which I’m pretty sure is beyond the Intel iGPU.

Hopefully it is just a GFE issue, as RGates33 says…

Hi there Rockbuddy9,

Dropping in to offer a few ideas to help as well. :slight_smile:

First thing I would check on a new build is the Power settings. These are default to balanced and can cause all types of issues.

Next, if that nor the steps others gave help, I would want gather a bit of data. A Hwmonitor and a DxDiag can help. For the Hwmonitor, you can post it on a site like Imgur.com and give the link here.

DxDiag:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
  5. Paste the DXdiag into the post, select and highlight everything you just pasted, and hit the “code” button (</>). That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this, you can use pastebin.com as It is a bunch of information.

(provide the code from the pastebin link - the bold portion of this example: https://pastebin.com/ Qk28Ed1P)

I hope we can help!

/Nathardrick

The rating for my CPU and GPU heating is much higher than what you suggest on the website, as I familiarized myself with my system tolerances. It would be foolish not to when you have a several thousand dollar system.

When playing heroes of the storm I barely break 60°C (which it is rated for 90°C) with my CPU and never hit over 75°C with my GPU (rated for 88°C).

When I send this DxDiag information, could it be in ticket system?

Don’t want to be sending my personal information in a public forum is all.

Hey, Rockbuddy9! Sorry for the delay in response. We’d be happy to check out the DxDiag file send to our inbox, techinfo@blizzard.com with the subject line, ATTN: Caterpepi - Massive Framerate Drops.

This inbox is not monitored and will not send responses. It’s used to collect information for Customer Support to assist in troubleshooting.

For Heroes of the Storm, technical support is available on the forums from our community and support agents here. If you are able to submit a case through the ticket system, we’d be happy to continue the troubleshooting and discussion there.

Just sending the email now, thank you for being active on the forum for me to troubleshoot an issue.

I hope it gets resolved, because it would be a treat to actually play at a constant 144 frames per second

Thanks, Rockbuddy9! We got the file here and it looks like a few windows update could be used. The current version is well known to have issues when full screen optimization is on. This can help with performance issues in case it may be related to some compatibility issues with the OS and client. Our games are set to be most compatible with the latest version (Build 17763, Version 1809 - You can type in winver to check the version with the Windows Search).

The refresh rate for the system is also currently set to 60hz instead of 144hz that the monitor will be able to manage. It could be that Adaptive V-sync is having issues with synchronizing the frame rates. Other than this, everything else in the Dxdiag looks great.

Any chance we could check the clock speeds with the HWMonitor requested? And mentioned earlier, connectivity is definitely a potential cause of the framerate drops in Heroes of the Storm with how it interacts with performance and connection. Let’s gra as much as we can with a WinMTR test. Thanks for taking the time to work with us on this :slight_smile:

Clock speeds vary between 4600mHz-4900mHz.

This is an issue that I only have with this game.

Despite what windows said in the DxDiag, the game is set to 144hz refresh rate, adaptive vsync is disable with my graphics card and I have windows running @ 144hz.

EDIT

@Caterpepi

It appears that the connection seems to be the main issue.

I don’t think I can do anything about that until I manage to get a wired connection.

Thanks again for all your assistance with the issue.

Take care and good luck in the Nexus

1 Like