Malthael Level 20

I’m sure this isn’t a new topic of discussion but I just played Malthael for the first time in a while and went W build.

At level 20 hovered over the tormented souls upgrade and thought “why would I ever pick this?”

The main reason to go tormented souls at 10 is the W reset, not that having tormented souls up is particularly useful.

In a patch I feel this talent could do with a tweak, even if it’s something like hero takedowns refresh duration and W cooldown. It may not be as good as the respawn talent but it could be fun and may actually get picked.

What other level 20 talents do you think could do with a tweak?

2 Likes

that is the trouble with some hero reworks, some talents shift in effect and then they fall by the wayside. The extra duration was useful when it had armor, but now that the end triggers an ability reset, the extra duration isn’t as useful.

Takedowns triggering resets and extra duration is a way to align the heroic to compliment the build that would take it, but it could also just switch to trigger the reset every 4 seconds so it doesn’t ‘nerf’ the initial effect.

I wouldn’t say just level 20 could use some tweaks, but I feel like auriel and arthas have some talent ruts, so adjustments to them would probably then want lvl 20 adjustments to follow as well.

2 Likes

TS upgrade is the only problematic lvl 20.
It does give you slightly more Ws, but it’s neglactable.
What it does mostly is removing the need to AA, and helps with sustain.

2 Likes

Youre right. It doesn’t make sense. Legacy upgrade that doesnt align with their teleport reset change. Have TS rapidly reduce cooldown (200%?) of W whilst active sounds like the trick

2 Likes

I rarely pick TS, but when I do, I never pick the upgrade at 20. It’s pretty useless.

I usually go with Last rites upgrade. But Malthael’s lvl 20’S are all on the weak side.

I do pick it, and let me tell you why I do.

I like to pick TS when I take W talents or plan on team fighting a lot. If I’m going to be a double soaking laner I pick Q talents which help my survivability, which I don’t need as much in team fights because I should have a healer there in the team fight. Plus Die Alone is useless if you hit more than one person, and a team fight makes that hard. If you pick a lot of W talents the resets from takedowns can be pretty useful. Not only do the W talents increase the range but also deal 8% damage and mark enemies around your W target. The key here is getting takedowns, which doesn’t really fall on you unless you dive in with TS activated on low health enemies and then chase. However if the enemy team is full health then that’s where you rely a little on your allies to help you finish. You’ll do a lot of the shredding down of health, assuming you don’t die and your team should be able to finish off someone. Depending on how many times you can use W, your marks will spread more without the need to AA and the 8% will add up.

Whether that fits with your play style and thought process is up to you, but that’s why I would pick it.