Low FPS whilst playing

So ever since i started playing hots my game has always seemed to have the same fps no matter what settings i use from ultra to low the fps is the same, generally my hots just seems to sit around 40-60 i have no fps caps on it.
System: Ryzen 5 2600X, Rx 580, 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz, ASrock x470 master sli. I have tried scan and fix on blizzard, SFC in command prompt and i’ve tried reinstalling the game. On scan and fix my fps did go above 100fps but then the next time i loaded the game the situation was back to normal. This was also the case after reinstalling. My drivers are up to date and so is my windows.

1 Like

Hey Bamboo,

If the FPS seems to be capped at 60 that may be a sign that vertical sync is enabled in-game or through the AMD Radeon Settings. If the settings look good in-game I’m guessing it’s due to a setting in AMD Radeon Settings causing it, or another program running that is altering the settings.

Try resetting the game settings through the Battle.net app as well.

If you need further help please post your DXDIAG

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. In the Run window type dxdiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DirectX window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and save it to your Desktop. Open the new dxdiag file with Notepad.
  5. In the posting section hit the </> button for “Preformatted text” then paste (Ctrl+V) the DXDIAG contents. That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this due to the length of the DXDIAG, please feel free to use pastebin.com and share the direct link with us instead. Use the </> button as well in order to share the link.

I tried resetting the game and the issue persists, AMD Radeon settings also have no restrictions on my games. I also can’t seem to post my dxdiag? When i try post it, it says that there are multiple words that aren’t allowed in there.

1 Like

Howdy Bamboo,

Can you upload the file to Pastebin and then link the file here?

https ://pastebin.com/BGFEwHyk you’ll have to remove the space between https and : because it wont let me paste the url here either

I have computer with a similar configuration (main difference is mainboard and it is the non-x variant of the CPU) I can test tomorrow.

Edit: Just did the test, anywhere between 40 FPS (rain/snow) to 120FPS in the trial mode. You may have FreeSync or FPS cap enabled (in Heroes settings, Graphics: Uncheck “V-sync” and set Target FPS to “default”).

For now, what you can check is in the Radeon Control panel, in the “gaming”-tab, click on “global graphics”, select custom and uncheck all switches (ignoring the “advanced” ones).
Under “Display”, make sure you have FreeSync disabled.

I assume it is a CPU bottleneck though. Not much you can do about that.

CPU isn’t a bottleneck if I go on other games my GPU is always on 100% usage whereas my CPU might reach 50-60% in games such as COD

Hey again,

I’d try uninstalling the Razer software temporarily, reboot the PC, and then test the game again. We’ve seen Razer cause FPS issues with some of our games in the past so we want to rule that out.

Since you have a Ryzen system I’d also recommend updating your motherboard’s BIOS and chipset drivers. Several bugs were resolved in the Ryzen platform through BIOS updates and your current BIOS is from 2018.

Careful with that!
Newer versions of AM4 drivers reduce functionality of the motherboard or break compatibility with the installed CPU.

In case of the ASRock X470 Master SLI, the last BIOS-version that is safe (assuming the flashing does not brick the board) is P3.40. That BIOS version contains AGESA 1.0.0.3, which is known to cause stability problems.

A component not being at 100% load does not mean much.
While playing heroes, I sit at 10-ish % load on the CPU, with one core running full tilt.
My GPU is also reporting 50%, but at 800Mhz Core Clock (full clock is 1700MHz), that 50% is more like 25% load.

So I have updated the BIOS to P3.40, updated my chipset drivers and tried uninstalling razer software. Uninstalling razer software made no difference, chipset drivers made no difference, however, updating BIOS has seemed to make my fps slightly more stable on low settings (I’ve yet to test higher) with it ranging from 55-80 now (70-80 when not much is happening i.e maybe in spawn or walking about and 55-65 when some action is going on). So it seems there are slight improvements but it still seems like HOTS refuses to use my system considering my GPU sits at idle temperatures and my CPU sits at 30% usage?

Sounds about right for HotS.
If you look at TaskManager with the CPU Performance graph set to “Logical Processors” (righclick on the graph > change graph to), you see one CPU core running full tilt with the rest mostly idle.
Changing how HotS utilises hardware is in Blizzards hands.

Those numbers are marginally better but that’s still oddly low for your system at low settings. It’s true that the engine heroes uses is more CPU dependent than GPU dependent, but I’d expect with this hardware that you should be getting a pretty constant 60 FPS at low settings, minimum. We may not be able to squeeze much else out of this, but I’m interested in two different things. First, we’d want to check heat and clock speeds. Grab hwmonitor and install it. Then, launch hwmonitor and play a game until it crashes. Once it does, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

Also in that code block, let’s have you run userbenchmark with NOTHING else running on your PC and link the result here. (The more you have running the more it’ll skew the results.) It’ll give you a custom url that talks about your PC.