Lets talk about Mal's Lvl 10: "Dark Conversion"

Nope. Junkrat’s Rocket Ride remove you completly from the map, repopping you in the Hall of Storm.
Carrion Swarm doesn’t affecr you position, movement speed or gives you the chance to move over obstacles. It just makes you invulnerable for 3 sec.

But I agree that Dark Conversion can get some love: maybe put it on a 5 sec. cd if interrupted.

6 Likes

Carrion Swarm “after 1 sec”.
Dark Conversion “after 0.75 sec”.
It’s actually easier to interrupt Carrion Swarm.

So you can’t use your base abilities, peel or bodyblock for 3 (actually 4) sec.

And thus that heal can be negated by the enemy without ability usage.

Lvl 15 Malganis here and I could swear that it doesn’t go full cd, I remember matches when I got interrupted like 3 times in a fight.

5 Likes

Dark conversion is a cool ability but it’s quite situational and unreliable as you need a nearby full health enemy to click on, it becomes really predictable real quick, and can be countered via anti healing abilities.

Carrion gives invulnerable, is kind of an escape as you can move whilst invulnerable, and the healing is unstoppable if done correctly

From a masters Point of View, i rarely see Carrion Swarm being picked at all.

Dark Convertion is picked like 90% of the time, when Carrion Swarm is picked, it is picked for it’s escape or single tank survivability.
But unless firstpicked Mal’ganis, then you would in rare cases pick him into a comp you would force yourself to Carrion Swarm, since one of his best utility builds is buildt around his E, with both sleep increase and sight reduction.

So if your plan is to buff Dark Convertion even more, then we might never see Carrion Swarm.

THINK if Dark Convertion was faster, or instant for that matter.
It would be a holy amount of burst, better than Kael’s Pyro.
Would make no sense for a tank to have such power.
it is supposed ot be a mix between sustain and dmg, with a hint of counterplay to it, both Healingwize, interruption and dmg reduction.

The “Weaker” pick barrely has any counterplay, which is what makes it the safe pick, but the worse pick, though the level 20 talent makes it quite mad.
But you don’t pick an ultimate waiting for the end game, you pick it for the whole game unless forced otherwize.

i don’t play much mal’ganis but carrion swarm reminds me a bit of falling sword. you leave your team vulnerable to dive & skillshots every time you use it

though, i suppose it’s not quite as bad as falling sword, which additionally suffers by being a highly delayed 0.2-second stun that competes with a near-instant 1.5-second stun

Just no. There are barely any healing ultis in the game that can give such high value of health. And in this case it doesnt just heal, it also deals damage.

This makes it an extremely powerful ability when it hits. Being able to interupt it in a hard way is a must. If the cooldown is only 10 seconds if it misses, it barely does anything. Its going to be just like mephisto and still make players ‘afraid’.

What i would find more fair is that if its interupted, the value of lifesteal is reduced to for example only 25% of its effect.
(example: if you are at 25%, the enemy is at 75%, you get 25% of the 50% gap. so 12.5% of your hp, and the enemy recieves 12.5% damage)

1 Like

Tried Dark conversion a few times. But being either interrupted or killed before it procs. annoyed me.

That and the insanely short range.

5 Likes

Dark Conversion is less or non risky if you put them all to sleep before hp swap

1 Like

It looks more like a 39/61 percent split, looking at all data available on hotslogs for storm league. And about the same for Master+Diamond. As he has had no substantial changes to his ultimates, I don’t see why there is a need to limit it to a smaller duration.

For QM, same data range, it looks to be about 46-54 split for Master+Diamond, and about a 44-56 split when looking at all leagues.

BUT EVEN IF IT WASa 25% pickrate for an ultimate is perfectly fine.

I would say where it starts being an issue is once it breaks the 80-20 mark, even then it can still be healthy, if one ultimate is just very situational.

Dark Conversion is a far stronger level 20, as you can wipe the enemy team with it.

This is my experience with using it. Once the enemy knows you have it the con is out in the open. It becomes really hard to get value with on repeated use. Swam on the other hard is just great for sustain and forcing a team to split or feed you health and damage.

Yeah the range feels really weak but if it was larger wouldn’t it be OP?

You should be Sleeping people when you are low and then proceed to using your ult in perfect scenarios or when you hit people with the third slash of Fel Claws to stun, immediately use Dark Conversion.

6 Likes

Yeah because it would be pretty damned broken, low risk/ high reward.
It’s already extremely strong, I’d say way stronger than Carrion which ultimately just makes the enemy team split.

But it doesn’t dive or stun like falling sword, which is a better initiate and escape.
Compare it to Anub’Arak’s Locust Swarm if anything, though I think Locust Swarm is better.
It is supremely under rated.

I guess it just boils down to higher risk / higher reward.

That works in one on one fights but not really in team fights. The problem is you need a good difference in HP and low health targets tend to hide in the back line. Getting to them and getting the ult off is difficult. They time it takes for the health to shift is also problematic.

I think dark conversion could absolutely see a buff. Either to it’s range or how fast the health shifts. Either of these changes would really help open up options with it.

1 Like

Dark Conversion pretty much only exists for highlight videos where you can see people 1v5 enemies with it (with the lvl 20 upgrade).

1 Like

You can 1v5 with Dark Conversion.

You can’t with Carrion Swarm.

Sure, winning games is fine and all, but I play for those rare wombo moments!

Dark conversion is fine. 25% pickrate isn’t that low and it’s a high risk high reward ability. Carrion swarm is more consistent but lacks the high end potential of dark conversion.

Also: where are you even getting 25% from? Hotslogs is dead

Everything what you said is correct, but you got the situation backwards. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh! Yeah, I messed that up. I meant that you need to get to full health targets poking from range. The problem is going through a ton of CC, damage and slows to get to them. You just can’t get value consistently.

1 Like