Kelthuzad needs to be reworked

I get kills if I am lucky enough to steal them from heroe’s who aren’t paying attention. My damage output is incredibly unfair, compared to mages like Gul’dan, Jaina and even Nazeebo. My chain ability is frankly, quite useless and gimmicky. I feel like dead weight to my team, and I am quite sick and tired of not getting any kills with this character what so ever.

He needs to be reworked from the ground up, entirely.

I don’t wanna just say git gud, but git gud.

Kel’Thuzad is a combo mage. Your entire game plan should be this: Chain two targets. As they’re flying together, place a Frost Nova where they’ll meet. As they reach their destination, fire a Death and Decay and add in Shadow Fissure. They’ll be rooted in place and take the full brunt of your damage. This will deal several thousand points of unavoidable damage. It requires perfect timing to do, but is as easy as one-two when you have the hang of it.

4 Likes

The only thing I’d like to be reworked at this point is his Frost Blast ultimate. It just feels like the heroic choice to take when you don’t have confidence in landing the kill combo. I don’t know how they would rework it, but I haven’t been a fan of it since day 1.

2 Likes

There’s nothing you can do about Frost Blast. It’s not even bad per say, it’s just hopelessly outclassed. Shadow Fissure is so important to KT’s burst combo that he just isn’t a full hero without it.

1 Like

Well perhaps they could dig harder into the damage over time aspect of it, making Death and Decay combo with it for some high damage over time, as opposed to the chain, W, R kill tactic of Shadow Fissure. That’s the only really way I see it competing even remotely. I also really don’t like how it’s targeted, as the whole thing with the character is that he requires skill to land his abilities.

I think he’s got sort of a point.
I do agree on “git gud” but the range of KT’s abilities is just slightly underwelming.
he is in constant need to be too close to his targets to safely escape.
the range of his abilities should be buffed to compete with, Kael thas for example.

Kel thuzan need to be reworked , he do to much damage and WTF is that + 75% spell power for that easy quest man this is just to OP DEVS. What are you thinking abouth it? Anyway he do too much damage +25% spell power would be much fair and something need to be done with that chain.

…Could have sworn I replied to a topic exactly like this one before…

At any rate, KTZ’s overall damage is actually fairly well in line (Frost Nova’s base damage is almost exactly half that of Flamestrike, the 75% spellpower only brings his raw output to about the same as Kael’thas.), the issue is that he has such a massive and unavoidable burst that he can destroy an enemy Hero every fight without the unfortunate victim being able to do anything once the chain lands.

Simultaneously, he’s utterly one-trick, in that he is wholly designed around his one combo. Alarak’s abilities are quite useful independently, with his combo occupying two abilities and leaving him a poke and his Heroic. KTZ’s combo is seven activations, using the absolute whole of his kit in one go and having him left with literally nothing but auto-attacks.

He needs the combo broken apart to become a healthy Hero. I’d focus on breaking his combo apart throughout the Talent tree, making it so the old combo must be an all-in build that’s able to be balanced separately from a much healthier area denial focus, with Frost Blast taking up a similar function to Moshpit in a CC combo that can lock two or three players in position for 6+ seconds, allowing for higher-damage AoE like Kael’thas to finish off three enemies, if everything goes well.

1 Like

I actually think what you just said highlights is exactly why Kel Thuzad needs to be reworked. There is only one successful way to play Kel Thuzad.

There is very little nuance or choice in the entire process. You are only running combos and beyond that you are a “crappy-poker-mage”.

It’s difficult to learn for new players and once mastered is stupid easy and cookie cutter. The end result is … not very fun.

2 Likes