Is this good news for hots?

Riot did a current players numbers update and the number seems way lower than most other years. Only 8 million per day. Keep in mind, that 8 million is spread over multiple game modes nor does it state how often those 8 million play each mode.

I believe during their peak, they had over 25 or over 30 million.

8 million is a huge decrease.

However, hots has it’s own design issues of why not many more players want to play the game.

if bill gates were to somehow lose 1 billion dollars tomorrow it wouldn’t really effect him. 1 billion dollars is a lot of money and more money than any of us will ever see but to him it’s only an inconvenience.

8 million players per day for any game is amazing and riot is more than content with where they are.

3 Likes

It’s also inevitable that people are going to move on to the hot new thing.

10 Likes

only losing 8 million players from 30 mil isn’t a big deal but losing 22 million subs from the 30 is a huge chunk I wouldn’t down play it so hard.

It’s the same if Bill Gates only owned 10 million dollars (hypothetically) and lost 1 mil out of the 10 he doesn’t need to worry too much but to lose 9 mill and only have one mill left he might want to pay attention to what lost him all that money.

I do understand what you are saying it’s not like they went from 1000 users to 10 just like even with only a million bucks you can rebuild your empire unlike someone going from 1000 to $10 and needed to build back from the $10…be luck to get a Mc’donalds meal with that.

Just because your competitor isn’t doing well, doesn’t mean it’s good news. Could be that people don’t like MOBAs as much anymore.

I won’t complain if we get more players though. Hopefully they’re good, and can adapt.

14 Likes

Naaah we are going to get all the trash, better luck next time. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Wake me up when Candy doesn’t open a topic that doesn’t mention League of Legends in the first 3 lines.

7 Likes

Technically there is no mention of LoL, only riot

2 Likes

Thank you forum dweller, very cool!

1 Like

guys
hots is and will go downward for ever
still a great game but come on, they don’t even do lips moving animations anymore

gg gl

I just read that someone got caught playing WoW classic druing some esports event and Riot got mad. So they fined him

No, they potentially lost 18-22 million monthly players.

Also remember, not all the 8 million will be playing ranked so there will be less players in each league.

You should read the whole post before responding, Skychase was agreeing with you.

1 Like

I didnt quote that part because my interpretation of it was “if they lost 22 of 30 million” but it seemed like to him my post was implying that they only lost 8 million from 30 million

I was replying to Ephraim who poo pooed over the lost of user as if it were only 8 million

first was mobas, then battle royales, and now?
all mobas are decreasing in numbers, since games like PUBG, Fornite and stuff like that went really popolar.

people usually move on, nowadays we have plenty of options to choose, back in 2002/04 in my region was like play CS 1.6, AOE II or starcraft 1.

I hear the next big thing is going to be Auto Chess and I’m waiting for HotS to jump on that auto chess train! Come on Heroes Devs make it happen!

i believe it was last year some time that a topic similar to this popped up. well, as it happens there is a general downward trend in MOBA as a genre. its just a shift in interest which happens a lot with the gaming industry.

in regards to something like HotS if you say they started with around 1-2 mil players. then trended down from age of the game, closing of HGC, and then the general MOBA outlook? it hurts a lot more than on something like LoL where there is much more of a playerbase.

Argh matey, tis neither good ner bad fer me hearties. Just cause a few scallywags abandoned one ship, don’t mean they’ll be joining up wit our crew. Arrrrgggh! :triumph:

4 Likes

I don’t think it means anything for HotS.

Its not like 20 million players are together wailing and gnashing their teeth, eager to all decend on the next big thing.

There are more games now than have ever been.
There is no reason to compromise on the experience you want.
People’s taste change.
People’s free time change.
Old players stop playing, new players start playing.

Look at 1 statistic and say “What can we infer about the future of HotS from this?”. Nothing. Nothing is the answer. You can infer nothing from this piece of information.

1 Like