Is HOTS done making new heroes?

Are you always so dramatic? It is true that was the offical decline of HOTS, but it obviously started earlier, it was just the offical confirmation of it. I’m honestly amazed that in 2021 you can still get instant queues in ARAM, QM and under 5 minute queues for ranked on the US server. This is far better than what I would have personally predicted when the bad news arrived in 2018.

Xenterex makes some excellent points here:

I wish that Blizzard would allow more community involvement with HOTS, such as allowing modding or community created skins and mounts. Retaining and engaging with the loyal core audience (HOTS clearly has one) is probably the best hope for it retaining its appeal moving forward.

Here are is a Doom song for HOTS Tooton, it’s 2018 and HOTS has met its:

Click the video if you’re a masochist!

4 Likes

Yeah I’d like modding so I’d make my custom maps and hopefully get people to play on it in customs

3 Likes

Which means that the game really had (has) potential, away from the complexities and mechanical annoyances of the similar titles.

It’s really sad that the company is actively strangling it, instead of giving it some love and trying to enable and grow it.

People will eventually move on. A lot of high profile streamers moved Four-ward, even those I really didn’t expect to. Maybe just temporarily, and still play off-stream, but it shows the lack of their perceived potential and support.

Truly sad about the Cash Cow argument I’ve seen over at WoW forums (EU), in response to WoW (and Blizz) shutting down gloriously, with a big (positive) bang, “was a good run, people” - “It’s not how it works with cows. You milk them until they run dry, you squeeze the last drops out of them, and then you hit them on the head and leave them to rot, or maybe make a fine stew.” Like sticking to a really bad, failing marriage.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Though this may open doors for cheating if implemented wrong, I’d advocate for it. I’ve been talking about the importance of community management ever since I got here.

2 Likes

Baal must happen. Like seriously. I just want to play the tri-force in a game.

3 Likes

maybe, dont forget as big of a team the wow team is, due to the lawsuit happening at blizzard it caused a patch of theirs to be delayed by 3 weeks, no telling how much it might of delayed HoTS stuff

We didn’t even get a halloween event my man

Holy! It does say that in the main screen, didn’t notice it.
Is it related tho? Or has it been there for a long time?

Pretty sure it’s been there since May. And seen how things are going, that line has even lost the irony in it.

4 Likes

I still see people with boosts. So HotS is still earning them cash money. Probably part of why they don’t want to just come out and say they are done.

They are making a new Hero, but at a rate that the ancient egyptians built new pyramids.

1 Like

Yeah I’m the same. If they said that’d we’d get say 1 per year minimum (at blizcon etc) i’d be happy. Then if they made some others inbetween it would be awesome.

2 Likes

And this information alone should be enough for us to not overthink it. Yes the development progress is heavily slowed, but it’s not nothing. There will be new heroes, but only at some ‘critical timed spots’, where it’s beneficial for the company most likely.

Ah here we are again with Tooton and his fail statements. :joy: Just FYI: Rome empire don’t exist anymore, but we have still game servers and some updates, even heroes since then.

2 Likes

I have a boost right now, but that’s only because I received a 3 day free boost in a loot chest. It’s hard to be sure how many players you see with them active have received them for free in chests, forged them with free gems from gaining account levels, or actually spent cold hard cash on them.

3 Likes

Ah shoot right, I forgot you can get them for free. Definitely changes things then. I thought I hit reply to you.

1 Like

Guess some people like you still hold out hope when the signs were already there

I guess you’re so deep in your own bubble that you can’t even see what there really is. But keep doomsaying it’s amuses me.

1 Like

Here in EU (or: in my little world) the boost ratio is around 10-20% per match.
Considering I didn’t find any for about 2 years, and I got from 450 to 850, and I’m also not really meeting fresh accounts (getting 2 weeks iirc), I’d say plenty of people take it.

If somebody is truly enjoying the game, the usual Black Friday yearly is a fair way to support things. You also get faster leveling, more items and gold. Kinda nicer than buying bits of gems. Downside: if you stop (or slow down) playing like I did (in 2018/9), it’s wasted.

1 Like

A lot of that depends on where you are looking. In QM, my experience is that most low level accounts are smurfs, same in SL. In ARAM, I see more of a mixed bag of smurfs/new people. However, last night I had a WoW guildy ask me what this HotS thing was all about, since I had been grumbling in guild chat that I hadn’t played in 3 days because a bunch of guild stuff kept me in WoW almost all weekend. So I told him to install, go through the tutorial, then ping me when he was done with that and I would run him through some co-op AI for funsies.

We started on medium difficulty (I forget the names), had an instant queue, and there was another duo on our team with an account in the 1000’s paired with a level 3 account. The solo player was level 40ish. My guildy and I played 4 or 5 matches together, and each time we saw people who were definitely new to the game, several of them partnered with a friend who was clearly teaching them the ropes.

I was pleasantly surprised by how many people were picking the game up, and I wonder if most of them just stay in AI, rather than moving to the PvP modes. I don’t want to say that this means the game is in a healthy place, but it does mean that just looking at SL won’t give us the full picture of how many people are playing at any given time.

5 Likes