Is anyone else having to update every time they play?

I’m forced to clik update every single time.

Imgur

1 Like

I had that happen to me ages ago, but it hasn’t happened to me recently. I’m pretty sure I’ve reinstalled the game several times since it last happened to me.

If you uninstall Microslave Edge, the updater will automatically detect your internet prowess and keep itself in line.

Did you turn off automatic updates?
For me it still happens on its own whenever I leave the game - or restart the launcher, in case I exited during the game.
As far as I discovered it only happens after playing a game.

Are you French Canadian? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you been away from the game for extended periods of time? :thinking:

The update bug, to my knowledge, hasn’t been fixed for 2 years now.
I still get it to this day.

1 Like

It happenns all the time. Every time I open the launcher. Ever since I re-installed.

I haven’t changed any of the settings.

Yes.

1 Like

It happens to me if I use the B-net launcher. I have auto updates disabled, I’ve uninstalled both the game and launcher, I’ve done everything but reinstall windows and I’m not doing that.

The HeroesSwitcher_x64.exe, means no “updates” when I log in or out, so I just stick to that for Hots.

Blizzard actually makes a dollar ever time you click to update the game so they did this to bring in money for their pizza party Fridays.

Don’t. I’ve done a clean install on my PC recently and I still get this bs. I don’t have the issue where I have to “click” to update the game, because mine does it automatically, but I got tired of the switcher because I started experiencing the stupid “version mismatch” error too often so I went back to using the launcher. Even a fully clean install of windows won’t fix this issue. Its an issue with Blizzard’s launcher and they’re ignoring it because they see it as “fixed”, when its clearly not. At least its good to know the issue isn’t your pc though right?

2 Likes

I thought they had sausage parties?

2 Likes

Just to save you some time or brain cells…

Not relevant. On one hand, having so many people with the issue proves it’s not installation specific. On the other, I purchased a new laptop in September, installed HotS and it has the same behavior.

Given it only occurs if I actually start a match, I assume during the loading the game changes something which then the launcher resets. I would need a file system monitor to go beyond that. Such as, I could create a backup, play a game and check differences, somesuch.

However, I have better things to do! :laughing:

3 Likes

Technically they do, except its on the pizza haha.

This is the first time the forum has genuinely made me laugh, even if its just a smile.

1 Like

I know it’s an actual problem, tech support both confirmed so and dismissed it. The trouble is because some people don’t have an this issue, they think it’s user error.

I love this. My favorite joke theory was posted on Reddit where someone joked the patch loop was Blizzard mining crypto!

2 Likes

Wonder what those Hots Notes on your desktop is.

1 Like

Oh, some data from my former NGS team, various notes, and also notes for a video I never did.

Best bluff ever.
I mean, I know, the error is installing Heroes. Surely they mean that one! :rofl:

3 Likes

lol! Don’t give the “dead game” posters fresh ideas Aphandra, they are always on the look out for new catch phrases.

3 Likes

The same thing happens to me. But what doesn’t make sense to me is that it even does it when it recently updated around 15 minutes ago, multiple times. I wish they could at least notify us what it was updating so much so it wouldn’t seem as if the last one didn’t go through.

These files are changing:
…\Heroes of the Storm\Launcher.db
…\Heroes of the Storm\HeroesData\data\data.013
…\Heroes of the Storm.product.db
…\Heroes of the Storm.patch.result
…\Heroes of the Storm.build.info

It might change the last chunk (014) but not anymore, also there was a patch recently. Notably the index files don’t change, despite.

Patch result is a single 0.
Product DB includes info specific to the country, installation (path).

Not even Blizzard knows. You would have to compare files and stage all changes whenever they happen. Someone theorized there is a wrong hash on some servers so it automatically detects a change, rewrites the same content. Or possibly the game servers themselves are also content servers (might explain erratic loading times) and the game is also self-updating, in this case to a different version, and the installer resetting it.

I’m afraid we have come to the point where the original devs 5-15 years ago introduced some storage idea and the current operators are effectively on user level. They can’t even flip seasonal chests, toggle shop items, or fix the Woodland Guardian mount. They seem to get a few hours of support a year to set up seasons and somesuch. Same about the (C)D pipeline.

Kicking a dead horse here.

1 Like