Incorrect alert about cpu

Hi!

I just got a new ryzen 3800 and when I m in game i get an alert about the cpu, “reduced cpu power detected”. Is there any way to disable this icon/alert since its incorrect because there is no problem with running the game.

Hopefully this is a known issue by now. It is affecting every third generation Ryzen user irrespective of CPU SKU. For example I use a Ryzen 3900X and also have this warning displayed incorrectly.

Warning shows with the defective boost AGESA ABB BIOS as well as with the beta of the fixed boost AGESA ABBA BIOS.

The warning is showing in error. Heroes of the Storm performance is being GPU limited, never dropping below 100FPS in the most intense scenes. It appears the CPU is averaging the working cores at around 2-3 GHz due to how much they are sitting idle as a result of the GPU bottleneck so there is plenty of CPU power left for HotS to use if it needs to. There certainly is no “reduced CPU power” like the warning indicates.

I am guessing the method used to generate this warning is not compatible with Precision Boost 2. Precision Boost 2 operates the CPU more like a modern GPU than a traditional CPU like those currently from Intel. As such it will very aggressively vary voltage and clock speed based on thermal headroom and thermal, power and current limits. It will even depower inactive cores for improved energy/thermal efficiency and instructs the OS scheduler to migrate heavy threads to the fastest cores of the chip. It is possible that traditional throttling detection techniques will return a false positive with this behaviour.

AMD will release a framework towards the end of this month that will more correctly return the status of Ryzen Third Generation CPUs running AGESA ABBA or newer. It is possible that this issue can only be properly fixed once that framework is released and Blizzard can incorporate it into the “reduced CPU power” detection system to correctly detect if the CPU is being throttled excessively.

A temporary work around would be to disable the warning completely if a Ryzen third generation SKU is detected. Currently it is always shown in error anyway it seems so it is meaningless to those affected.

Out of interest I recommend posting the motherboard vendor if you are affected by this in case it for some reason is a BIOS problem, which has been known to happen from time to time. I am using an ASUS (TUF) x570 motherboard.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply! I have an gigabyte gaming x 570 motherboard.
Let’s hope they will fix this soon!

1 Like

Thanks, this at least confirms it is not a motherboard vendor/BIOS issue and is related to the Ryzen third generation processors and HotS.

Hello!
Thanks for this report. This is a known issue that we are working on a fix for right now.
Sorry the alert can be somewhat annoying, but it should be safe for you to ignore for now.

2 Likes

Is there any update on this? It has been months now

Hey Nilo,

We have a change that should address this in the patch with Deathwing! If after trying again in that patch this problem persists please create a new thread on this forum!

Thanks for the help!

1 Like