[HR] Rehgar- Rework CDC #10

Rhegar used to be the aggressive support but now is played more like a back-line healer and not aggressive enough compare to other new and reworked supports.
The purpose of this rework is to make him more aggressive but without buffing him so we wont get a Rehgod again

I wrote down only the changes in order to make them clearer.

made some changes to the talents, they appear with an underline

[TRAIT] Ghost Wolf.
Added functionality- Basic Attacks in Ghost Wolf form also make your basic ability recharge 75% faster for the next 3 seconds.

Rewarding players for aggressive play-style, preventing the back-line healer play-style.

[Q] Chain Heal
Increase cd from 8 seconds to 10

Increased cd because of the improved trait.
I think its impotent to keep this ability simple as is.

[W] Lightning Shield
Increase cd from 8 seconds to 10
Reduced damage from 64 to 50 . Deals 50% damage to non-heroes
Added functionality- Casting lightning shield on an ally also casts on rehgar.

Currently Lightning Shield works like Cloud Serpent- You drop it on an ally and forget about it. Now it can deal even greater damage but only if Rehgar is committed to the fight as well! Without being able to merc and cleare wave like in the past (its the norm of healers)
and increased cd because of the improved trait.

[E] Earthbind Totem
Increase cd from 15 seconds to 17

Increased cd because of the improved trait. Earthbind Totem is fine as is, Rehgar should not have a lot of cc.

[R1] Ancestral Healing
Left unchanged

I think its in a good spot right now so don’t fix what ain’t broken

[R2] Bloodlust
Added functionality- Passive- Basic Attacks in Ghost Wolf form now increases your aa speed by 40% and causes you to heal for 30% of the Basic Attack damage to the primary target. last 3 seconds. does not stack with Bloodlust.

Bloodlust is overshadowed by Ancestral Healing heal potential even with a fitting composition.
Giving a self buff that gives damage and sustain will promote taking Bloodlust to protect yourself and be more aggressive.
the ability itself should not be changed because it has too much potential to get out of balance like it did in the past.

Talents

The talents should give Rehgar a choice between an aggressive play-style that also grant him some extra survivability. Or safer one, in case the enemy team is not one to mess with.
Lightning Shield now works both on Rehgar and the target so some changes are needed for balance

tier 1

(W) Electric Charge- Changed Functionality: refund 2 mana per enemy hit, up to a maximum of 40 (its per shield) and increase Lightning Shield size by 20%.
(E) Colossal Totem- unchanged
(D) Wolf Run- Added functionality: Basic attacks in Ghost Wolf form increase your speed by 15% for 3 seconds after attacking from wolf form

(W) Electric Charge- combined the two talents so there is not just an unlimited mana talent.
(D) Wolf Run now provides some way of disengage after Ghost Wolf attacks
(E) Colossal Totem is the most picked right now so i left it unchanged.

Tier 2

(Q/W) New! Chain Reaction- Healing an ally affected with Lightning Shield with Chain Heal create a burst of energy that deal 100 damage. only once per shield.
(-) Farsight- Moved from tier 3. Added Functionality: passive- increase health and mana regeneration by 75% while in Ghost Wolf form. cd increased to 24 sec.
(E) Totemic Projection- Added Functionality: also increase totems hp by 50%.
(-) Healing Totem- Unchaged
(D) Feral Heart- Removed
(W) Stormcaller- Removed

(-) Farsight couldn’t compete with other tier 3 talents. Im sure that on tier 2 with the extra utility it gives now it will be more viable.
(E) Totemic Projection needs to add hp to use this talent.

Tier 3

(-) Cleanse- Rename: Purify Spirit- cd increased to 80. Hitting enemy heroes with lightning shield reduce cd by 1 sec per hit.
(D) Blood And Thunder- Added Functionality: Basic Attacks in Ghost Wolf form grant you 15 armor for 3 secodns.
(Q) Tidal Waves- Moved from tier 5. Increase cd reduction to 1 sec per target.

(Q) Tidal Waves should give the safer build a good choice compared to Blood And Thunder.

Tier 5

(Q) New! Spriritwalker’s Grace- primary target is healed for additional 65 per target hit.
(Z/Q) Earthliving Enchant- Changed Functionality: Chain Heal heals targets for additional 75 over 5 seconds, Basic Attacks in Ghost Wolf form heal them for additional 75 immediately.
(E) New! Grounding Totem- Earthbind Totem reduce enemies’ ability power by 25%.
(W) Earth Shield- Changed Functionality: If the shield hits an enemy hero grant shield equal to 2% of targets max hp, last as long there is lightning shield.

giving more Q talents for either support or hybrid build.
(W) Earth Shield worked too well with any build, now it only works if the target plays aggressively
(E) Grounding Totem should give some love to the totem build, and a choice for a less supportive and a more aggressive build.

Tier 6

(E) Earth Grasp Totem- Reduce increased slow amount to 60%. _Added Functionality:_every 5th second Earthbind Totem is active, increase the slow to 60% for 1 second.
(D) Hunger Of the Wolf- Added Functionality: Eliminations refresh Z cd.
(W) Rising Storm- no longer cast shield on you (its on basic).

i agree with the feedback, Earth Grasp Totem in its current form is too easy to get value of. with this change it will still have some of its initial effect, but require the enemy to ignore the totem in order to get the full effect and have more interaction with talents like Totemic Projection.

Tier 7

(R1) Farseer’s Blessing- Changed Functionality- grant the target 50 armor and for 3 seconds, and reduce the cd by 20 seconds.
(R2) Gladiators Warshout- Added Functionality: Basic Attacks in Ghost Wolf form reduce Bloodlust cd by 3 sec
(D) - New!- Spectral Bite- Attacks in Ghost Wolf form reduce targets armor by 20 for 2 seconds.
(-) NEW!- Ancestral Protection- Activate to give all nearby allied Heroes a Shield for 20% of their max Health for 3 seconds. Hitting enemy heroes with lightning shield reduce cd by 1 sec per hit. 60 sec cd.
(-) Stormshield- Removed
(-) Rewind- Removed

both heroics talents weren’t chosen. i think reducing the cd in a way is a must for both talents.
Farseer’s Blessing reworked from aoe, to a single target buff to different it from Ancestral Protection.

New quotes:

• Malfuraion takedown- Where is your shapshifting druid? (I know there is already one for druids, but this can be an alternative one just for malf about his inability to shapeshift in this game)
  • Mechine takedown- Ahh, I think I broke a teeth.
  • Valeera takedown- Have you forgot your training already? (Rehgar was Valeera’s trainer)

New skin- Kitsune:

Change his Ghost Wolf form to a fox with two tails (there could be more but i think it can get visually crowded and unpleasant).
Base white color with red on the edge of his tails.
2nd option orange with white on the edge of his tails.
His orc form will have a more Samurai oriented armor (similar to Samuro’s Burning Blade skin) with foxes heads on his shoulders instead of wolfs that glow in the fitting color (white or orange) and a fox head helmet.
A nice additions could be that every time he shapshift there will be a subtle hyena like laughter (in order to portrait Kitsune’s playful mischievous way)

3 Likes

I was considering Rehgar as my entry. His current design is rather plain. My idea was to give him additional totems that could be toggled between with the 1 key.

3 Likes

Rehgar has 3 really impactfull abilities on basic (Q,W,Z) that provide good healing damage and escape. So what could the additional totems add? He is only missing cc (utility), and i cant think of any other fitting buff/debuff that can do the job better on basic.

I think it’s a really interesting idea though. And i would love to see this mechanics with different heroes, that don’t have other strong abilities on basic.

1 Like

Total Score - 18/20

Creativity - 4/5
Overall, your changes tended to be baselining a couple talents. The Ghost Wolf change is baselining Blood and Thunder (in a mildly different manner, but it’s still CDR for wolf attacking), and the dual Lightning Shield is baselining another talent I can’t quite remember the name of now. I think the effects do a good job of pushing your intended playstyle, which is good, but it’s not very creative/exciting. The new Bloodlust passive you chose is interesting, and I think it works well.

Cohesiveness - 4/5
Like I said above, the changes you made push your intended playstyle of making Rehgar a more aggressive support. The cooldown increases could feel clunky though, and I think pushing Rehgar so much more to be aggressive with no extra survivability in the base kit could make him just worse to play overall.

Thematic - 5/5
None of your changes violate Rehgar’s identity; to the contrary, making him a more aggressive support feels like it matches Rehgar even better.

Interaction - 5/5
I don’t see any problems with interaction in the kit, so no points off here.

2 Likes

Overall Score

Category Rating
Creativity 5/5
Cohesiveness 5/5
Thematic 5/5
Interaction 4/5
Overall 19/20

Creativity

5/5

While perhaps not all of the changes are particularly creative, none of them are so uncreative that I feel like I should take off a point for it, especially with some of the more interesting ideas, like Chain Reaction(Tier 2|Level 4).

Cohesiveness

5/5

Not adding any baseline survivability into Rehgar’s kit makes me a bit hesitant to give this a 5, but with the various options for an aggressive build within the talent tree, I think the intended playstyle is supported enough to not take a point off.

Thematic

5/5

Rehgar being made into a more aggressive support really captures the right flavor identity for the character, and I’m glad to see that’s the direction being taken.

Interaction

4/5

A couple of Rehgar’s talents seem pretty good in comparison to their peers. Wolf Run(Tier 1|Level 1) giving Rehgar the full mounted speed plus help escaping to support his aggressive playstyle might be a bit too strong for such an early talent. Also, Earthgrasp Totem(Tier 6|Level 16) not having any changes made to it feels like a mistake. It’s a pretty powerful effect with little to no counterplay.

Additional Feedback

No other concerns. (^_^)

2 Likes

1 i am guessing you meant to write that basic attacks against heroes in ghost wolf form will make basic abilities recharge 75% faster.

2 increasing lightning shield damage to none heroic enemies makes no sense he doesnt need siege damage the only thing rehgar suffers currant in meta is the lack of cc.

3 rehgar doenst need to be more aggressive this nerfs his potential in higher level of play by a huge amount.

4 bloodlus still sucks i like the change but it still doesnt hold in comparison to ancestral.

5 i liked all the tier 2 changes.

6 the nerf to cleanse is just crule this is a huge nerf you have no idea how much this alone could completely destroy all potential plays with rehgar, cleanse is his most important talent even more than ancestral this change is huge.

7 again nerf to earth shield is also huge, earth shield was the perfect tool to keep you ally alive just that one second so your ancestral can heal them. nerfing this will make rehgar have a really tuff time to heal backline heroes like valla raynor.

8 you never wrote the cooldown on ancestral protection.

i liked the basic idea especially the higher focus on the W which making it also cast on rehgar isnt a bad idea the problem is that rehgar is a healer making him aggressive is just wrong. overall this is a huge nerf to rehgar and will make him unplayable in ranked.

1 Like

I’m glad you liked some of the ideas!
I think our view of what a healer should be is different and that’s OK.
I really tend to like aggressive ones and love seeing hybrid builds (like Tyrande in beta) and in light of recent reworks to Tyrande, Lili and Malfurion, That made them have to participate in combat in order to heal more. I made similar changes to Rehgar who used to be more Aggressive than them (at list Lili and Malf).

1. Not only vs heroes, vs anything (like Blood And Thunder talent, Tyrande’s aa etc…) so its not as restrictive.
  1. It deals 50% of the damage not 50% increased damage. The reduction is because the lightning bound old talent is on basic now.
  1. I don’t think it really sucks, remember it was recently (ish) nerfed for a reason.
  1. Uther got a similar rework. I think it can work on Rehgar as well. now you can reduce the cd even below 60 seconds so its not really a Nerf, but a change in play.
  1. Earth Shield overshadowed any supportive talent and wasn’t thematic with Lightning Shield aggressive role. also now it gives shield for both you and the target while being able to get a greater maximum shield of 20% of targets max hp (vs current 12%) so its not a nerf but a change in role. Consider that alongside this changes i also made changes to Chain Heal talents, so he still have a good less aggressive choice.
  1. I didn’t write it because its unchanged = 100 sec. i wrote only the changes because it felt better arranged and clearer.

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll still consider it for some upcoming changes!

i pointed this out already but earth and shield was the perfect tool to keep you ally alive that 1 more second before ancestral hits without that burst shield rehgar is going to have such a hard time keeping hit team alive especially squishy back line heroes.
ps storm shield is a 45 seconds cooldown not 100

I’m sorry i misread it as Ancestral Heal (maybe not such a cleaver name picking).
Ancestral Protection’s cd now appears and is 60 seconds.
Thank you for pointing it out!
As for Earth Shield interaction with Ancestral Heal, Chain Heal can also be used for that propose and right now Ancestral Heal is the dominant heroic. So an indirect nerf can be not that horrible, but if we could test it and it would show to be a weak heroic, its cd can be always reduced.

Also i will use this comment to notify i made small changes to talents and added new skin and new quotes sections.

Total Score - 20/20

Creativity - 5/5
I was surprised to know there isn’t a Valeera-Rehgar quote too much in the game which is really weird so top notch there, the Kitsune skin is pretty interesting too as it reminds me of alot of things in other media (and not MoBA ones mind you so forget Ahri), kits pretty interesting too ill give it that.

Cohesiveness - 5/5
Other than the awesome Kitsune skin and surprising Valeera voiceline there isn’t much to add as this kit seems to work nicely.

Thematic - 5/5
Aggressive support healer and your skin is still matching that.

Interaction - 5/5
I don’t see any interaction problems with this kit myself at the time of this review.

Jesus a perfect score? must be drunk xP

2 Likes

Honestly, I"m imagining the Anime-themed skins in Smite and how they dramatically changed the type of graphics used on the character. From your point of view, how do you think it might change Rehgar’s personality?

2 Likes

Heroes of Newerth did it dramatically as well even going as far to vastly change the ability looks (sometimes it made it really confusing), and to how i envisioned that style was more spiritual and mist like as opposed to life and water like Rehgar already has.

2 Likes

Although an anime theme skin could look impressive, I think a more subtle change is better and more in line with current skins norms. It also prevents confusion, and make it easier to recognize its Rehgar and not some other hero.

I think when you do an asian/anime-themed skin, you either go with the flashy, poppy commotion or you go with the more spiritual and religious calm.

2 Likes

I defiantly see a more calm and spiritual personality. To fit his healer supportive role, that represents life.

LuckyTiger - 100/100

Creativity: 10/10
Cohesiveness: 10/10
Thematic: 10/10
Interaction: 10/10
(+2 Thoughtfulness, +1 Game Fluidity)

2 Likes