HOTS needs a extra layer of complexity

A very large part of Hots’s appeal is in its simplicity. I love hots because it cut out so much redundant crap from other mobas, many of which were vestiges of moba roots (e.g. last hitting and individual leveling). The game is supposed to be simple because of the highlight of team based combat.

5 Likes

Just a little to simple imo. Just needs one more system, one more thing to add depth, just a nudge.

I do agree with this 100%. I hate last hitting as well. Meticulous and boring.

Since the game is so simple nobody takes it seriously. I played anduin today to try him out. 4 years I have been playing this game, and I still saying “Please soak lanes” after all this time.

How else can we make players take this game more seriously if nothing changes? Game is so simple, that everyone just plays like monkeys bashing on the keyboard.

Another layer of depth / complexity may help people take this game a little more seriously, and actually learn this game in depth.

I dont think it’s a case of hots players finding the game simple therefore dont bother learning how to be better. It’s more about external people taking a brief look at HoTS then discarding it due to its simplicity.

In warcraft 2, the player had to manually click every peon trained to go and harvest the gold mine. In warcraft 3 you can set a rally point so new peons would harvest gold automatically. This simplifies the game, but frees the player up to do more interesting activities.

In HoTS, laning is significantly downplayed to free players up to do more interesting activities (like team fights). However, because the lane phase is such a huge component of other MOBAs, the first impression they get when playing this game is that laning is easy therefore the rest of the game is easy too.

4 Likes

Something needs to be done to pull these people in rather than driving them away. Or MM is just going to get worse and worse due to the population issue.

I am not interested in complicating this game just for the sake of complexity. I do see what you are saying however.

Which is 100% fine imo.

It IS easy though. Sure there is some depth once you scratch the surface, but all in all hots is easy AF

Im really enjoying this discussion, thanks for keeping the thread flowing.

Whilst people have different opinions on topics such as items and shared xp, most players seem to agree that hots games have good pacing and good match duration. Multiple maps also seems to be a unanimous plus.

1 Like

Nobody is going to take it seriously, imo. Heroes of the Storm joined into an already competitive market years too late and offered little. Nobody is going to join because of ‘additional complexity’. If you want to make a game stand out, you don’t make it like everything else.

Hey we may not agree on everything, but I respect your opinion and class speaking on those opinions. Kudos.

I do agree these are good things in this game.

Have a good night man, have a :heart:

1 Like

Either you are 1k mmr in dota, or you lied about having thousands hour on dota.
Seriously, i swear, everytime i heard hots fanbois defending the game by comparing with dota, they have no idea how dota work.

All they can say is “support” matter here, team play matter here.

The only thing i know is if you play on 1k mmr dota, you will have vry small chance to meet people playing good at support.
Let me give you this analogy, if you play low rank here where almost everyone play ranged assassins, your logic also will say that support don’t matter here.

give me one guide of how to play support on hots, really, let me see the content.

Or you just stay acting like you know moba by keep spamming “support matter here”

Lol

Back in 2008, I was super into dota-allstars and did all sort of things to try to think of out-the-box strategies. Some of my particular interests were with the neutral creep zones, the jungle, and how to manipulate it in ways other people wouldn’t bother to think about.

Of particular note, I would try various ways in trying to get other players to see the merit in having a particular hero, crystal maiden, contribute to her resource contributions by killing units in the jungle.

Fast forward to the beta, releas and updates as far as say 2016 for Dota 2 and it wouldn’t be uncommon to find the occasional voice attempt to point out maidens’ potential in the jungle. some 2017, maybe 2018, then yea, traction builds to finally see cm having regular rotations and jungle work as part of her lane-sitting support role.

I could arguably suggest that about a decade has passed before people caught on to something I tried to get to catch on, but people ‘knew better’ and stuck to the assuredness of what they perceived to be better.

I doubt any in the dota community would remotely know of, let alone recall anything i could have done in that regards – esp with the lack of stable archiving of dota’s past – so I’m not sharing this for accolades or whatever, but of what I share, its not an isolated incident. People aren’t the sort of ‘masters’ they want to claim, and simple stuff can easily be overlooked because they’re unwilling to try.

The basis of the most in-depth of sciences still comes down to having a hypothesis that looks to ask the right question in the first place. Layers of ‘complexity’ tend to not compare when it comes to gratification instead.

In that regard, maybe like my bit on cm, perhaps all hots may need is another 6 years under its belt before people are willing to try a little harder to broaden their perspective :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Really?

So please, enlighten us and tell us how it is.
If we are such “fanboys” and don’t know how dota works.

Obviously you mastered it already, so you can teach us a thing or two.

As for the guide, use google. There are guides from pro teams on how to properly play support.
But hey, you are the pro here, why do you need a guide how to play support?

I played Smite for a bit and I hated the item system. I used the auto pick items feature which makes picking items an unnecessary part of the game. Hots is a casual game and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Then your doing it wrong. Just like in HOTS where you pick talents to fit the situation / enemy comp, you pick items to go against the enemy composition. Nobody at a high rank auto fills items.

However thank you for mentioning smite. I do think it is rather forgotten about in this discussion. It is a different take on the moba experience. I wonder if smites population is greater than our own.

1 Like

Since HotS is the 3rd biggest moba, no, Smite doesn’t have a bigger population.
The fact that it got forgotten here for a ton of comments should be sign for it.

And I’m still wondering what are the ranks of ppl who think this game is not complex enough.

1 Like

you claimed that doubting if anyone is reliant on “support” in dota or LoL, the burden of proof is at your side.
if you can’t provide one, then please carry on with your dream of acting like a pro, or an “ex dota/LoL player”

1 Like

you know that smite keep their championship event with bigger prize pool right?
the community is growing and stable.
talk about “3rd biggest moba”, you do know that pro team here disbanded right? some of the pros even switched to smite.

nevermind, delusion is strong

for a kid, tic-tac-toe is extremely hard, some of them thinking that it require in-depth strategy.

I remember this kind of discussion were hot during the beta, and all stop after I quoted the words from developer where they make this game easy on purpose.
it’s almost the same time when Blizzard foolishly killed WoW TCG for a kid’s game called Hearthstone. so I think it’s part of Blizzard program or something.

1 Like

imo supports in other mobos have more playmaking potential. You dont need a ton of items, or levels to CC someone to setup a kill. I gotta agree with noodles on this one.

Supports here are basically healbots and that is it. I feel like I have more impact playing a supp in the other games than here in HOTS.

Also the supports in the other games bring other utilities, such as OMG WAVECLEAR?? Something hots did away with a year ago. The mass support nerfs really took the flavor out of the role tbh. I get why they did it, I just think it could have been handled another way.

2 Likes

HotS on twitch: 2,355,546 Followers · 2,992 Viewers
Smite on twitch: 1,801,034 Followers · 1,878 Viewers
(Allow me to mention that the HotS numbers went down after HGC cancelation and yet higher than the “growing big price Smite”.)

https://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/top-10-most-played-mobas
If you search for most played mobas, most famous mobas, top mobas, all list them in the following order: LoL, Dota 2, HotS (and after that Smite).

So who is the delusional?

This game is super easy, right? What is your rank? I guess you’re obviously GM or at least Master, right? Since it’s so easy.

4 Likes

Are we rank shaming for any particular reason bro? Not sure how that is relevant to the conversation. But since you keep bringing it up, which karabars are you on hotslogs? The one in EU or US?

I really do not get the correlation that the lower ranked you are the more you want to add complexity. Seems like it would be the other way around?

Anyways enjoy your E-peen contest. Thank you for bumping my thread regardless of your intentions.

1 Like

No rank shaming here. Just think it is funny that ppl who can’t even master the current game asking for extra complexity with the reasoning that it is atm too easy.

And I’m probably both Karabarses, since I’m from EU but started to play on NA as well because of friends.

I don’t understand the logic between how big Moba game with the twitch follower. you realize the queue time for the game is long for moba right?
LoL active players are way way way more than Dota, but still Dota able to compete with LoL, even held the biggest esport event in the past that surprass LoL prize pool.
if you talk “most played” then it’s true.

how old are you? i’m starting to talk with fortnite kids after reading this. your inability to understand this thread translated into ranks.
what if the logic is used back to you, oh you think LoL and Dota is easier? whats your rank there?

1 Like