HOTS Crashing frequently

This just started about a week ago, but for some reason HOTS seems to think it needs an Update every 5 minutes. It has been that way for a while now (every time I would leave the game it would update, sometimes multiple times a day). Starting last week, about every 3rd game I try to enter (usually happens after queuing in to a game) the game crashes with an Out of Memory error. Each time I can trace that back to the Blizzard App trying to initialize an Update in the middle of the game launching. I tried adjusting my settings so Updates would not occur automatically and thought that fixed it, but today I have crashed another 3 times out of 4 games. I’ve stopped playing Ranked because I lost 3 Rank levels to game crashes but even playing ARAM the error continues to happen…

Thoughts?

Out of memory usually means your system is out of memory. Assuming you have at least 16 GB of main memory check for malware and use task manager to see how much memory is free. HotS needs ~6 GB to of free memory to work reliably. Make sure page file is enabled as that can help avoid out of memory crashes at the cost of some performance.

Thanks DrS, but I’m pretty sure it is definitely something else. I have 24 GB of memory that isn’t even half used while playing, so I assume some kind of error is occurring that is causing it to crash. Like I said this just started happening a week ago. No other problems on this system for a couple years. There is definitely something fishy going on between the Blizz Updater and the game. I found last night if I quit out of the Battle.net desktop app once the game is running, the issue seems to go away.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.