[HC] Xaril, the Poisoned Mind

Hello everyone! I just overhauled one of my older concepts and decided to post it here too. If you’d like to check out the HeroesFire page for the concept (with its colorful formatting and ability icons), the link is available below! Otherwise, the concept is posted here in its entirety.

https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/concept/xaril-7988

EDIT: Talents are done and some minor changes to base kit! Also fixed the HeroesFire link through shenanigans.

One of the paragons of the Klaxxi, the mantid Xaril was renowned for his expertise with deadly poisons. I’ve tried to build his kit around the idea of a poison-wielding rogue, applying lots of toxins to his enemies and setting up for large chain reactions with Catalyst and the on-death explosion of poisoned enemies. His high damage potential is balanced by his low durability and general lack of crowd control; while he may have decent sustained damage and a lot of potential burst, staying alive to make use of it requires skillful play of Xaril.

Statistics
Health: 1,684 (+4% per level)
Regen: 3.88 (+4% per level)
Mana: 500 (+10 per level)
Regen: 3.00 (+0.098 per level)
Atk Speed: 1.05 per second
Damage: 136 (+4% per level)

Trait: Toxic Injection
Xaril’s basic attacks and abilities afflict enemies with Toxic Injection. Each basic attack applies 1 stack of Toxic Injection.

Toxic Injection lasts for 6 seconds against heroes and stacks up to 10 times, with each application refreshing its duration. It lasts indefinitely against minions and mercenaries, but doesn’t stack. Toxic Injection deals 4 (+4% per level) damage per second per stack to afflicted enemies, and when they die, they explode, dealing 32 (+4% per level) damage per stack to all nearby enemies.

Q: Envenom
Cooldown: 7 seconds
Cost: 35 Mana
Xaril strikes with his poisoned daggers, sweeping a cone to the front right and front left of him. Enemies hit take 76 (+4% per level) damage and have 1 stack of Toxic Injection applied to them.

Envenom can hit an enemy multiple times if they are in front of Xaril, in the intersection between both strikes.

W: Catalyst
Cooldown: 16 seconds
Cost: 60 Mana
Xaril tosses a flask of catalyst at a target location. The flask shatters upon landing, leaving catalyst in a medium area (size of Kel’Thuzad’s Death and Decay) for 4 seconds. Catalyst Slows the movement speed of enemies within by 20%, and the first time they enter its area of effect, Toxic Injection’s explosion effect is triggered on them based on their current amount of stacks.

E: Serpentine Strike
Cooldown: 14 seconds
Cost: 50 Mana
Xaril quickly dashes to a target location in an “S” pattern (moving to the right, then to the left) , then performs a sweeping strike in a circle around him. Any enemies in his path or in his final strike take 46 (+4% per level) damage and have 1 stack of Toxic Injection applied to them.

Serpentine Strike can hit the same enemy multiple times. Additionally, the less distance Xaril travels, the wider the “S” shape becomes, allowing a maximum of 4 hits on an enemy in point-blank range.

R1: Raining Blood
Cooldown: 85 seconds
Cost: 100 Mana
Xaril prepares a two-part attack on an enemy in melee range. First, he disengages from them, dealing 11 (+4% per level) damage to his target, applying 2 stacks of Toxic Injection to them, and launching himself into the air, becoming Invulnerable briefly.

After 1.25 seconds, Xaril performs a diving attack on his original target, dealing 104 (+4% per level) damage and triggering Toxic Injection’s explosion effect on them based on their current amount of stacks. Additionally, all enemies affected by Raining Blood’s explosion are Stunned for 1.25 seconds.

R2: Volatile Reation
Cooldown: 70 seconds
Cost: 90 Mana
Xaril mixes several poisons together, then carries a large fuming flask for up to 10 seconds. While carrying the flask, Xaril cannot use basic attacks or other abilities, receives 30% increased movement speed, and leaves a trail of poisonous fumes behind him that linger for 3 seconds. Xaril can recast Volatile Reaction to throw the flask at a target location, spreading the fumes over a large area (size of Kael’thas’s Phoenix) shrinking over 5 seconds.

Volatile Reaction’s fumes apply 1 stack of Toxic Injection to enemies within every 0.5 seconds, but cannot raise an enemy above 4 stacks. Additionally, Toxic Injection’s damage over time deals 50% more damage to enemies while they remain in Volatile Reaction’s fumes and is continually refreshed.

Talents

Tier 1
Paragon’s Purpose - Whenever an enemy dies while affected by Toxic Injection, Xaril deals 10% more damage and receives 50% increased Mana regeneration for 1 second per stack of Toxic Injection they were affected by. Duration, but not effects, stack.
Crystalline Vial - Catalyst’s projectile speed is increased by 50%, and its radius is increased by 15%.
Python’s Coil - Serpentine Strike also Slows the movement speed of enemy heroes by 10% for each time it hit them, decaying over 2 seconds.

Tier 2
Caustic Blood - Enemies receive 15% less healing while affected by Toxic Injection. Additionally, Toxic Injection lasts indefinitely on enemy heroes below 5% of their maximum Health.
Venomous Flurry - Reduce Envenom’s cooldown by 0.75 seconds each time it hits an enemy hero, up to 3.5 seconds maximum.
Tenderizing Strikes - Xaril’s basic attacks reduce his target’s Physical Armor by 2 for 4 seconds, stacking up to 5 times. However, Xaril’s basic attacks do not receive increased damage from this.

Tier 3
Firebloom Toxin - Whenever Xaril applies Toxic Injection to an enemy hero, they burst with burning toxins, dealing 16 (+4% per level) damage to them and all nearby enemies per stack of Toxic Injection applied.
Red Catalyst - Catalyst now burns in its area of effect, dealing 22 (+4% per level) damage to enemies within every 0.5 seconds. Each time it triggers Toxic Injection’s explosion effect, this damage is increased by 50% for the duration of the ability.
Briarthorn Toxin - 10 second cooldown active talent. Xaril drinks a vial of poison made from Briarthorn, increasing his basic attack speed by 15% and basic attack damage by 50% for 4 seconds but dealing 84 (+4% per level) damage to himself over the duration.

Tier 4
Raining Blood - See above.
Volatile Reaction - See above.

Tier 5
Fadeleaf Toxin - Envenom and Serpentine Strike also grant Xaril Unrevealable for 0.75 seconds if they hit at least 1 enemy hero.
World Serpent - Serpentine Strike also heals Xaril for 2.5% of his maximum Health each time it hits an enemy hero.
Kingsblood Toxin - 20 second cooldown active talent. Xaril drinks a vial of poison made from Kingsblood, granting him Unstoppable for 3 seconds but dealing 149 (+4% per level) damage to himself over the duration.

Tier 6
Bloody Explosion - When an enemy reaches 10 stacks of Toxic Injection, they immediately take damage equal to 5% of their maximum Health.
Purple Catalyst - When Catalyst triggers Toxic Injection’s explosion effect on an enemy hero, they lose control of their hero and are forced to run forward for 1 second.
Bloodthistle Toxin - 30 second cooldown active talent. Xaril drinks a vial of poison made from Bloodthistle, causing his basic ability cooldowns to refresh 100% faster and not cost Mana for 8 seconds but dealing 255 (+4% per level) damage to himself over the duration.

Tier 7
Angel of Death - If Raining Blood’s second strike or the subsequent explosion kills its target, reset its cooldown.
Paralytic Fumes - Volatile Reaction’s fumes now Stun enemies for 0.25 seconds for every 2 seconds they remain in it.
Deadly Sting - After applying 12 stacks of Toxic Injection to enemy heroes, Xaril’s next basic attack will trigger Toxic Injection’s explosion effect on its target based on their current amount of stacks.
What Doesn’t Kill You… - While taking self-inflicted damage, Xaril receives 15 Armor. Whenever an active Toxin wears off, Xaril is healed for 5% of his maximum Health.

1 Like

Hey Nortin! I am so sorry this took so unbelievably long. Here is the review I promised you! I love the Klaxxi and Mantid in general, and would love to see one in the game.

Toxic Injection is quite interesting in concept, though I fear it will act too similarly to Lunara’s trait. The explosion component is definitely cool, though. Envenom is also pretty simple, though would feel good to use. However, with how hard it is to stack up Toxic Injection, I think reducing the cooldown would make the character more active and engaging.

Catalyst is pretty cool, honestly, and directly connects to the best part of the concept in my opinion. I think it serves to further the combo potential of the character in a fair way, while also giving some lasting disruption and area denial. Overall, really solid.

Serpentine Strike really cements the Serqet connection. The character stacks poisons on an enemy, they explode when they die, and you have a serpentine strike that can be resized? I’m not sure if intentional, but this is starting to look a ton like Smite’s Serqet character. I love her in Smite, so I’m a fan of this concept. I’m just concerned it might be too similar. Additionally, the cooldown seems like it might be a tad high.

Raining Blood is certainly interesting. The low damage was curious at the start, but the real utility clearly comes from the stun, the effective “execute” of the dive attack, and the invulnerability. It would be really fun to use, no doubt.

Volatile Reaction supports the damage over time of the character, but because the stacks are capped relatively low, and because he is incredibly vulnerable for the duration with none of his abilities, the heroic looks a bit weak. I get what you were going for, but I’m not sure it works with the character.

Tier 2 seems really weak, honestly. 15% healing shred is rather minor of a debuff, though it does last for a long time, so I don’t mind it. The infinite duration under 5% health will almost never matter. Venomous Flurry is slightly more promising, but its low range, minor reduction, and cap really makes the talent unrealistic. Tenderizing Strikes is a maximum 10 physical armor reduction after 5 basic attacks. That is a long time for a horribly weak armor shred that will probably get overridden later on, and he can’t even benefit from it.

Firebloom Toxin is really interesting, giving a reverse Burning Rage effect to an enemy. What Doesn’t Kill You really brings that build together, and is really cool overall, similarly to Deckard Cain’s Gem build.

Bloody Explosion could use some more damage for how rare it will go off, and because the delay is pretty long.

I’m having trouble finding really solid build comboes and build paths in the talent tree. There are some vague ones, and the themeing of some of the talents is rather cool (such as the self-hurting talents), but it’s difficult to really create a playstyle you want, either with attack speed, catalyst, Envenoming, Serpentine Striking, or stacking DoT’s.

He seems quite interesting but I agree with the guy above me on tier 2 talents, most of them are quite weak.

I like his abilities, but since he makes poisons, it would be cool to see more varied effects or poisons, possibly as a random effects on some talents, like Catalyst may give so many effects on random, so he can be a little more random.(Like WoW Hunters’ Snake Trap.)

Thanks everyone for the feedback and opinions! I’ll address some things, but changes aren’t coming yet because I’m still trying to come up with what the changes wil actually be.

I’ll try to think of ways to vary it up from there. It originally had healing reduction baseline, but with the explosion effect it might be too much… Not sure where I’ll take it but I’ll try to make it more interesting that just a DoT.

Serpentine Strike itself was very Serqet-inspired. I was trying to come up with an ability that offered both damage and mobility for Xaril, forcing him to make a trade-off on which he needed more in a fight. I found an icon I liked and based the ability off of Serqet’s 1 since it was pretty much exactly what I wanted. I thought one similar ability would be fine, but didn’t really think of the other connections with the poison DoTs and on-death explosion :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t want Xaril to be too much like Serqet, so I’ll try to come up with some other ability that fills the same role, but is a little more creative.

Volatile Reaction is supposed to let Xaril apply lots of stacks of his trait widely so he can set up a good Catalyst in teamfights, but I see that in the current implementation it just falls short. I’ll try to come up with a better heroic that does a similar thing.

Tier 2 suffered the most from me being bad at putting together talents trees… Tenderizing Strikes specifically is a super filler talent taken straight from Xaril’s raid fight in WoW without thinking about its applications in this concept, and it was a very bad move on my part :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll hopefully come up with some better ideas when I do a talent overhaul.

Again, I’ll try to do a talent overhaul to fix Tier 2, and hopefully include some more talent combos and build paths. I want to avoid making arbitrary talent paths, but the talents really need more synergy, and I’ll try to keep that in mind when reworking it.

I definitely don’t want to inject RNG into the concept :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t think poisons are inherently random, and I’d like to keep the kit more consistent so that a good Xaril will always be able to know how to best set up strong Catalysts and get maximum value out of his detonations. As for more varied poison effects, I tried to do that in the Toxin talents and colored Catalyst talents, but I can see that in making a lot of the Toxins affect Xaril himself (based on the Hearthstone card where a bunch of the Toxins are beneficial effects for friendly minions), I could’ve missed that point. When I do a talent overhaul I’ll also try to add more poison types; maybe ability specific poisons that combo in some way.