[HC] Soldier: 76, Strike-Commander

Commander Jack Morrison, also known as Soldier: 76, is one of the most important and core members of the Overwatch cast, and has been hotly debated by the HotS community. Many people are not keen on seeing him in the game, and often say he should just be a Raynor skin, but I think he can be made into an interesting character, and we need a new auto attack carry type character in the game. This was a challenge, and I hope you all will enjoy it!

In HotS, Soldier: 76 is a powerful basic attack carry that must manage two resources to maximize his mobility and damage. He has brings powerful team utility through his healing and buffs he can provide.

Universe: Overwatch
Role: Assassin

Important Info
Attack Damage: 68
Attack Speed: 3.00
Attack Range: 5.5

Summon Mount
Z (Mount) – 4 Second CD
Increases your movement speed by 30% while mounted.

Explanation: There is no need for a special mount.

Super Soldier
Trait (Passive)
Soldier: 76 has two resource bars, side by side. He has Stamina, which is orange, and Focus, which is blue. He can have up to 50 Stamina and 50 Focus. Focus rapidly regenerates while not basic attacking for .5 seconds. Focus increases Soldier: 76’s basic attack damage by 1.5% per Focus, and depletes by 25 every .5 seconds after basic attacking for 1 second. Soldier: 76 can basic attack while moving, but moves at 75% speed and consumes 2 Stamina every .25 seconds moving and firing. Soldier: 76 can toggle the trait to disable basic attack.

Explanation: Super Soldier is the crux of the design, incorporating the idea of spread from Overwatch into a Moba-friendly design. The two resources pay into the design well, and differentiate the character from both Raynor as well as other basic attack characters. Upkeeping these resources is what makes Soldier: 76 his strongest.

Helix Rockets
Q (8 sec Cooldown)
Soldier: 76 fires a trio of rockets in a resizable target direction that explodes upon hitting an enemy or reaching maximum range, dealing 165 (+4% per level) damage in an area. Enemies hit directly by the rockets are dealt 100% increased damage.

Explanation: Helix Rockets is his signature poke and burst damage ability. He can use this in lane to dish out some damage, and a build can be made around it to make him into a mage-like assassin.

Sprint
W (.35 sec Cooldown)
(Passive) Soldier: 76 regenerates 5 Stamina every .25 seconds after not being in combat for 3 seconds. Soldier: 76 does not regenerate Stamina while using Sprint.

(Active) Soldier: 76 starts to sprint, increasing his movement speed by 25% but becoming unable to basic attack while active. Using any ability cancels Sprint. Consumes 5 Stamina every .5 seconds active.

Explanation: Sprint dictates how Stamina is regenerated, as well as giving him a powerful movement speed option for chasing and escaping.

Biotic Field
E (16 sec Cooldown)
Soldier: 76 lays down a healing field for 3 seconds at his feet, which heals allies and Soldier: 76 while in it by 38 (+4% per level) every .25 seconds.

Explanation: Biotic Field gives Soldier: 76 a powerful team heal that cements his supportive side, creating a gap between him and similar basic attack characters. The high cooldopwn on the ability makes its usage crucial.

Tactical Visor
Heroic #1 (60 sec Cooldown)
Soldier: 76 activates his Visor, gaining maximum Focus instantly. For 8 seconds, Soldier: 76 automatically basic attacks the lowest health nearby enemy, prioritizing Heroes, without being slowed, not consuming Stamina or Focus. In addition, Helix Rockets fires the rockets at the lowest health nearby enemy, prioritizing Heroes, which homes in on them.

Explanation: Tactical Visor is an individual damage increase, which makes him far more mobile, with much more consistent damage potential, as he doesn’t need to worry about his two resources or being slowed while basic attacking. It also makes his Helix Rockets homes in, which removes the skillshot element of his playstyle for a short time.

Tactician
Heroic #2 (15 sec Cooldown)
Soldier: 76 commands his allies to do something by pinging an enemy Hero, Mercenary Camp, or allied Hero. If an enemy Hero was selected, Soldier: 76 and his allies deal 30% increased damage to them for 4 seconds. If a mercenary camp was selected, Soldier: 76 and his allies gain 20% increased movement speed while moving towards that camp while within a long radius of it. If an allied Hero was selected, they gain 40 Armor and receive 40% increased healing for 3 seconds.

Explanation: Tactician is a powerful team-oriented ability which plays on his commander role, and actually allows the player to make shot calls in game, buffing his team’s ability to accomplish the goals he lays out.

Tier 1

• Sharpshooter: [QUEST!] Every time Soldier: 76 hits an enemy Hero directly with Helix Rockets, the damage of Helix Rockets is increased by 4.5. [Reward] Upon reaching 15 hits, Helix Rockets gain 25% increased range. Upon reaching 30 hits, Helix Rockets deal an additional 30% damage on direct hits.
• Focus, Soldier!: [QUEST!] For every 5 seconds Soldier: 76 is basic attacking at full Focus, Soldier: 76 deals 1% increased damage. All stacks are lost upon falling below maximum Focus or death. [Reward] Upon reaching 100 seconds, stacks are only lost if Focus reaches 0.
• Noone Left Behind: [QUEST!] Heal allies with Biotic Field 420 times, with each allied Hero being healed counting towards the goal. [Reward] Increase the radius of Biotic Field by 30% and increase the healing done to allies below 25% health by 50%.

Tier 2

• Heavy-Impact Rockets: Helix Rockets now knock enemies out of the explosion area and have a 30% increased radius.
• Trick Shot: After 1.5 seconds of having basic attack disabled, Soldier: 76’s basic attack range is increased by 2 for 2 seconds after reactivating his basic attacks.
• Group Up!: After Sprinting for two seconds, Soldier: 76 gains unit collision immunity and, upon passing an allied hero, hops behind them, granting both him and the ally 15 Armor for 2 seconds, ending Sprint. This cannot stack, but can refresh.

Tier 3

• Walk It Off: While using Sprint, Soldier: 76 heals by a minor amount every .25 seconds.
• Suppressive Round: Enemies hit by Helix Rockets deal 20% reduced damage for 2.5 seconds, increased to 40% if the enemy was hit directly. This cannot stack.
• Heal Up Here: Soldier: 76 now fires Biotic Field to a target location. Biotic Field’s cooldown is decreased by 2 seconds.

Tier 4

• Tactical Visor: Soldier: 76 activates his Visor, gaining maximum Focus instantly. For 8 seconds, Soldier: 76 automatically basic attacks the lowest health nearby enemy, prioritizing Heroes, without being slowed, not consuming Stamina or Focus. In addition, Helix Rockets fires the rockets at the lowest health nearby enemy, prioritizing Heroes, which homes in on them.
• Tactician: Soldier: 76 commands his allies to do something by pinging an enemy Hero, Mercenary Camp, or allied Hero. If an enemy Hero was selected, Soldier: 76 and his allies deal 30% increased damage to them for 4 seconds. If a mercenary camp was selected, Soldier: 76 and his allies gain 20% increased movement speed while moving towards that camp while within a long radius of it. If an allied Hero was selected, they gain 50 Armor and receive 40% increased healing for 3 seconds.

Tier 5

• Potent Tech: Biotic Field heals by 50% more, decreasing by 1.25% every .25 seconds active per ally inside the healing field.
• Mobile Healing Disc: Biotic Field’s duration is increased by 1.5 seconds and slowly drifts towards the nearest damaged allied Hero. However, its healing is decreased by 20%.
• Stealth Shroud: Biotic Field grants all allies in the field Unrevealable, which is broken for .25 seconds when attacking. Soldier: 76 gains stealth for 1.5 seconds after leaving the field for the first time.

Tier 6

• Critical Shots: While at full Focus, Soldier: 76’s basic attacks deal .75% of the enemy’s maximum health in damage.
• Opportune Moment: After 2 seconds of using Sprint, Soldier: 76’s next three basic attacks deals 100% increased damage and increases his attack speed by 40% for 3 seconds.
• On the Mark: Every time Soldier: 76 hits an enemy with Helix Rockets, its cooldown is decreased by 2 seconds and the next cast fires 25% faster.

Tier 7

• Target Rich Environment: While Tactical Visor is activated, Soldier’s basic attacks gain 20% increased range and damage, and ignore armor.
• We’re All Soldiers Now: Tactician’s cooldown is decreased by 50%, and has two charges.
• Lead Commander: Whenever Soldier: 76 hits an enemy directly with Helix Rockets, they become marked, taking 10% increased damage from allied Heroes for 3 seconds. When Soldier: 76 Sprints, his allies gain 5% increased movement speed while within 4 range of him. When Soldier: 76 places a Biotic Field, all allies in the area are granted an immediate burst of healing equal to 5% of their missing health.
• Single-Loaded Canister: Helix Rockets now has three charges that all refresh at the same time, but its projectile width, explosion radius, and damage is decreased by 50%.

9 Likes

I really like your design for him. He could use a few number changes here and there and his stamina could start regenning faster but overall a really solid blueprint for a character. I also like the secondary ult choice from tactical visor because it really adds more utility to his kit making him very versatile. I would enjoy seeing him become the next OW hero to enter the nexus.

Now that’s what I’m talking about, i knew he’s more than just a skin!!!

Also you can still use the Tactician ability itself to ping right? Or is it passive or something? And i think there’s a misspelled word in there… Its the word “cooldown” i think, just saying :blush:

This is a great build! I like how he’s not a copy or Tychus or Raynor and has his own depth.

I’m also loving this concept and I really like how you made his mobility have ups and downs. For example, having reduced movement for Basic Attacking while moving or losing the ability to Basic Attack while gaining extra Movement Speed. This is a very considerate way of introducing another mobile character to the roster.

His E ability, I must say, is strange to see on an Assassin Hero. However other than messing with QM combs, I don’t see any problems with it. The heal amount is generous even though it has 16 seconds cooldown. On the other hand, it has the downside of Alexstrasza’s W of marking the ground for the enemy to nuke. :see_no_evil:

Both heroics are nice and looking at the talent tree, he has many options in supporting his allies, which brings me back to his role as Assassin. Regardless of his damage output, I can see him labeled as a Support instead of Assassin (I’m following the new classifications here; Support =/= Healer).

You also just proved again that characters who have similar abilities to already existing ones, still have the chance to enter the nexus with even more creative kits :grin:

2 Likes

I definitely designed Soldier: 76 around being a more hybrid character, with solid support attributes in the concept. I thought that adding this support portion would really help bring Soldier: 76 into his own.

2 Likes

Shoulda put up a post about the changes you made to the concept man xP been so long since i saw the old one ya did (was still f’ing awesome mind you for both of them) that way can compare between the two in changes.

I mainly did talent pruning and made some talents cooler. Honestly, almost all of the work on this update was on the talent tree.

I usually don’t post links to the originals. I think of this more as a base concept now, for better or worse.

My old compendium can be found here, for anyone interested: Heroes of the Storm Forums

Yea deff looks smoother now and i understand that sentiment with posting the old link, thats why i throw in a sort of Update Log or Patch Notes when i do a big Rework or Overhaul like back when i did that Ashtana rework.

Looks awesome, but Sprint giving 30% increased Movement Speed is as fast as a Mount, which might be a little too much. I would reduce it to, say, 20% extra speed.

Yeah, I’ll go ahead and reduce the movement speed by 5%. Because of it’s limited nature and the restrictions to his basic attacks, I think moving fast isn’t the worst thing.