[HC] Kalec, Steward of Magic

Kalec, also known as Kalecgos, is the current Aspect of Magic and leader of the Blue Dragonflight. Serving Azeroth through the restoration of the Sunwell, being a loyal friend for Jaina and a supporter of Dalaran, being a member of their Council of Six. Kalecgos controlled immense power, but sacrificed much of it to permanently defeat Deathwing at the end of the Cataclysm, but continues to fight for Azeroth to this day.

In HotS, Kalec is a disruption-based tank who uses iconic mage spells to lock down foes. He also specializes in enabling his allied mages, and benefits more from spell armor reduction. He plays like a mage, but performs the role of a tank.

Universe: Warcraft
Role: Tank

Summon Mount
Z (Mount) – 4 sec Cooldown
Increases your movement speed by 30% while mounted.

Explanation: There is no need for a special mount.

Prismatic Armor
Trait (3 sec cooldown)
Kalec switches between three Armors, which grant him additional protections. Regardless of his Armor type, he gains 5 Armor, which is increased to 20 for 3 seconds after switching.
• Mage Armor: Kalec’s spells deal an additional 10% damage, and when damaged by an enemy, he restores mana equal to 20% of the damage dealt.
• Frost Armor: Kalec reduces the duration of disabling effects on him by 35%, and when damaged by an enemy, they are slowed by 20% for 1 second, not stacking but refreshing.
• Molten Armor: Kalec deals 11 (+4% per level) damage every second to enemies within 4 units, and when damaged, his attacker is dealt damage equal to 10% of the damage he suffered.

Explanation: Prismatic Armor is where most of Kalecgos’s survivability and protection comes from. He is encouraged to alternate between the Armors often to maintain maximum armor upkeep, which offers enemies times to exploit his weaknesses, depending on which effect they want to avoid.

Primal Blast
Q (5 sec Cooldown)
Kalec creates a primal blast of energies in a semicircle area (3 units long) within 6 units after a .5 second delay, dealing 150 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies hit and reducing their Spell Armor by 15 for 3 seconds. This deals double damage against enemies that have their Spell Armor reduced.

Explanation: Primal Blast is Kalec’s main poke ability, his primary engage ability, as well is his key tie to other mage-based ranged assassins (and his associated Council of Six members). With Primal Blast, Kalecgos can greatly amplify his allies’ power, and it also improves his other abilities if he hits enemies with it.

Ethereal Rend
W (12 sec Cooldown)
Kalec dashes 3 units in a line quickly. After 1 second, he unleashes a spectral rend using arcane energy in a semicircle towards his cursor location. Any enemy hit is dealt 180 (+4% per level) damage and is silenced for 1.25 second. If an enemy has their Spell Armor reduced, the spell armor reduction’s duration is increased by 2 seconds, and the enemy is polymorphed instead of silenced.

Explanation: Ethereal Rend gives Kalec an engage tool, as well as a powerful disruption tool. The delay on its second effect is to give enemies an opportunity to flee or stun him, as the silence/polymorph duration can be fight ending.

Frost Nova
E (8 sec Cooldown)
Kalec unleashes a blast of ice magic around him, rooting all enemies within 5 units for 1 second. If any enemy has their Spell Armor reduced, it’s duration is increased by 2 seconds, and this roots them for .5 additional seconds.

Explanation: Frost Nova is a fairly simple area control and disruption tool that adds to his main tank power. While the character can play from a midrange, Frost Nova requires him to play in a more melee role, as is customary for a Tank. This is an excellent peel option when an enemy Assassin tries to dive your team.

Dead Zone
Heroic #1 (60 sec Cooldown)
Kalec causes the innate arcane of the world to flee out of a target 2 unit area within 5 units. Any projectile or ability that touches the dead zone is instantly ended. In addition, any player who moves through the dead zone has all positive and negative effects on them ended. Whenever one of these effects happens, the Dead Zone grows .2 units larger in radius. This lasts until Kalec reactivates the ability, and starts the cooldown once finished.

Explanation: Dead Zone is a unique heroic that creates an area of complete and neutral denial. The area prevents all enemy and ally effects from crossing the threshold, which can protect your team or objectives from enemy poke and disruption. With timing, this can also be used to stop enemy combos by blocking abilities like Graviton Surge, Pyroblast, Shadow Fissure, and the such.

Release Arcana
Heroic #2 (140 sec Cooldown)
Kalec calls upon the Eye of Eternity, releasing a 7 unit radius area of free magic around him for 6 seconds. While any allied Hero is in the area, they have half ability costs and their cooldowns regenerate 30% faster. While within the area, Kalec can activate this ability twice more to conjure 8 unit long, 2 unit thick beams of magic in a target direction, dealing 240 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies hit and extending their cooldowns by 1.5 seconds.

Explanation: As opposed to preventing any abilities from crossing a threshold, Release Arcane overflows an area with power, allowing your allies to have an extremely heightened combat potential with their spells. This has a long cooldown due to its ability to win a fight.

Tier 1

• Crystalline Claws: Kalec’s basic attacks deal an additional 25% damage, and deal spell damage. In addition, after using an ability, Kalec’s next two basic attacks gain 60% increased attack speed, and reduce his cooldowns by 10% each hit.
• Breath of the Stars: Kalec’s true form exerts itself through space around him, dealing 11 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies within 4 units every second. When Kalec switches his Prismatic Armor, he unleashes an additional pulse that deals an additional 55 (+4% per level) damage.
• Crystalsong’s Influence While an enemy Hero is within 3 units of Kalec while Frost Nova is on cooldown, its cooldown refreshes 50% faster. While off cooldown, the air within 3 units of him crystalizes, reducing enemy attack speeds by 15%.

Tier 2

• Infused Dragonflight: After dismounting, Kalex gains 30% increased movement speed for 3 seconds. In addition, after dashing with Ethereal Rend, his next mount channel duration within 1.25 seconds is made instant.
• Nexus Hunter: While an enemy Hero within 7 units of Kalec has their spell armor reduced, Ethereal Rend’s dash distance is doubled. In addition, if Ethereal Rend polymorphs an enemy, Kalec can reactivate the ability within 2 seconds to dash 3 units in a line.
• Glacial Step: Frost Nova is now a target ability that blinks Kalec to a location within 3 units before unleashing its effects.

Tier 3

• Unraveling Touch: Kalecgos’s basic attacks against enemy who do not have their spell armor reduced deal 10% increased damage and give a stack of Unraveling to his target. Upon reaching 3 stacks, the next basic ability Kalec hits them with have a 40% reduced cooldown.
• Restrain Spellweaving: If Primal Blast hits a silenced enemy, the silence duration is increased by 1 second, and Ethereal Rend’s cooldown is reduced by 2 seconds.
• Rime Enchant: For 3 seconds after using Frost Nova, Kalec’s next Primal Blast deals an additional 20% damage and roots all enemies hit for .75 seconds if their spell armor is reduced.

Tier 4

• Dead Zone: Kalec causes the innate arcane of the world to flee out of a target 2 unit area within 5 units. Any projectile or ability that touches the dead zone is instantly ended. In addition, any player who moves through the dead zone has all positive and negative effects on them ended. Whenever one of these effects happens, the Dead Zone grows .2 units larger in radius. This lasts until Kalec reactivates the ability, and starts the cooldown once finished.
• Release Arcana: Kalec calls upon the Eye of Eternity, releasing a 7 unit radius area of free magic around him. While any allied Hero is in the area, they have half ability costs and their cooldowns regenerate 30% faster. While within the area, Kalec can activate this ability twice more to conjure 8 unit long, 2 unit thick beams of magic in a target direction, dealing 240 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies hit and extending their cooldowns by 1.5 seconds.

Tier 5

• Azure Descent: (Active) Kalec channels for .5 seconds while he marks his current location, then teleports to an enemy within 7 units of him, dealing 85 (+4% per level) damage. For 3 seconds, Kalec gains Unstoppable and 35 Armor. Casting any ability causes him to cancel the ability instantly after use. When the ability ends, or after cancelled, Kalec teleports back to his start location. 15 sec Cooldown.
• Comet of Power: Kalecgos gains a small mote of magic that circles him with a .4 unit width at 5 units from his current location. The comet will rotate around him at a speed of 1 rotation every 2 seconds, and any enemy it passes through is dealt 95 (+4% per level) damage. For 6 seconds after being hit, future hits deal 50% less damage.
• Coldarra’s Reach: If one of less enemy Heroes are hit by Frost Nova, Kalecgos sends a 2.5 unit wide wave of frost in a 6 unit range, dealing 110 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies hit and rooting all enemies hit for .65 seconds. Enemies who are already rooted are instead stunned for .65 seconds.

Tier 6

• Stalwart Suppressor: Whenever Kalec roots, silences, or polymorphs an enemy Hero, he gains an 80 (+4% per level) health shield that lasts for up to 8 seconds, and can stack, up to 400 (+4% per level) health total.
• Admixture Shell: Prismatic Armor options are now enhanced into three forms: Comet Armor, Frostfire Armor, and Infernal Armor. Comet Armor has the properties of Mage and Frost, Frostfire Armor has the properties of Frost and Molten, and Infernal Armor has the properties of Molten and Mage.
• Seal of Alodi: Primal Blast additionally reduces the damage dealt by all enemies hit by 20%, which is doubled when it hits an enemy with reduced spell armor, for 3 seconds.

Tier 7

• Restore Order: Whenever a Dead Zone grows in size, its cooldown is reduced by 1 second and Kalec is has 2% of his maximum health and mana restored.
• Overcharged Mana: Enemies within the area of Release Arcana now also benefit from the passive effects, but are silenced for 1.5 seconds after they cast an ability within it.
• Anveena’s Gift: Kalec heals himself for 1% of his maximum health and mana every second. In addition, 35% of the damage he deals to enemies with their spell armor reduced heals Kalec.
• Blessing of the Blue: Kalec marks an allied hero as his champion, which remains on them until they die, where it is removed and put on cooldown. While the mark persists, they deal 15% increased spell damage. 60 sec Cooldown.

2 Likes

I apologize for my tactlessness, but where are the Dwarves? :face_with_monocle:

Hello Lalution, it’s been a while. Since there are quite a few Dwarves in game atm, I’ve been bouncing between characters I want to see in game and characters that should probably make it in. My only Dwarf concept, Brann Bronzebeard, was unfortunately lost on the other forum, so I’d have to spend time remaking him for this forum. It’s in my list of things to do, alongside Hemet Nessingwary, but I’m working on a different project for now.

1 Like

Thanks for the serious response to my joke post about dwarves (Although I really want to see the blackrock dwarf).

You have ultimates written in level 4, I assume this is a mistake. The character does not impress as a tank, but rather as a Bruiser mage. I think W-build Ragnaros would be a good example of such a bruiser. Reading his abilities and improvements at each level, I got the feeling that no matter what skill up I took, the abilities are too overloaded with utility, although I may be wrong. All the same, all the benefits of abilities are revealed if the target is weakened in “armor”. But with talents, it persists. The feeling that they are too profitable. :sloth:

I’m not seeing this. They are under Tier 4 (level 10) under the talent section.

I’m not quite sure how this design comes across as a Bruiser. His damage numbers are quite low overall, barely keeping up with other Tanks of similar ilk. Instead of damage, he brings disruption and armor shred, which is his central gimmick. Additionally, he lacks any effective dueling capacity, relying on armor upkeep (like a tank) instead of any form of healing or sustain. He comboes best with allies, and falls flat when by himself.

As for the overloaded aspect, while the abilities may seem slightly wordy, their effects are quite simple, and he has multiple flaws. For example, Frost Nova just roots enemies around you for 1.5 seconds if they were hit by your Q earlier. This is a slightly longer root duration than Arthas’s W with the sacrifice of being only usable in close range. His Q is just a damage skillshot that shreds armor. His W is the most “overloaded” part of his kit, because it has both mobility and disruption, but we see this in Blaze’s Charge, which this functions similarly to (Blaze’s stun lasts shorter, but this one has a delay on the CC). If you compare the abilities to a similar hero (Blaze, Johanna, Mei), I assure you they bring very similar amounts of utility. Perhaps you are comparing him to a Bruiser too much?

As for talents, some of them might be overtuned. Would you be more specific?

I was wrong and read Tier 4 as lvl 4.

Yes, I imagined he would stand on the solo line and sleep with his Q all the time, but you’re right this is not a bruiser. If I look closely enough, he looks like Medivh (He is also a famous KekW magician). He benefits the team in fights and is soooo weak in clearing the lane and fighting 1x1

They don’t look like Tier 1 talents, they’re overwhelming. Well, except maybe AoE burning.

It sounds like a little more and he could turn water into wine. There is irresistibility and armor, and he also returns back. Cooldown is only 15 seconds. A bigger cooldown would be more realistic. :t_rex: