[HC] Cairne, Chieftain of Thunder Bluff

Cairne Bloodhoof is a big name in the Warcraft universe, yet one most people seem to glance over. He was the proud and powerful Tauren warchief, and close friend of Thrall. He fought for Durotar through bravery and wisdom. We need another Tauren, and who better than an actual Tauren Chieftain? Baine could be used instead, but I prefer Cairne.

In HotS, Cairne is a powerful melee bruiser who can take a lot of punishment while keeping enemies down with moderate damage and disruption. His ability to recast abilities grants him a unique playstyle loop and decision making.

Universe: Warcraft
Role: Tank

Summon Mount
Z (Mount) – 4 Second CD
Increases your movement speed by 30% while mounted.

Explanation: There is no need for a special mount on the character.

Bloodhoof Runespear
Trait (Passive)
Cairne uses a secondary resource called Valor. Cairne can hold up to 4 Valor, and upon reaching full Valor, he can use one of his basic abilities for free (ignoring cooldown), healing him for up to 170 (+4% per level) based on his missing health (50% healing to 200% healing based on heath between 100% and 25%). Doing so consumes all Valor, and the free attack does not grant Valor. Each time he uses Valor, he gains 1 Rune on his Spear for 15 seconds, increasing the healing he receives by 10%. This can stack up to 3 times.

Explanation: This resource is what makes Cairne so unique. It encourages players to be in combat and fight bravely, relying on the heal from using your bonus ability. Being able to use an ability twice in quick succession can be very powerful, giving Cairne either huge CC, good burst damage, or more survivability. The key to a good Cairne is building and maintaining full Runes so that you can stay healthy.

Shockwave
Q (12 sec Cooldown)
Cairne slams his spear in a line after a .65 second delay, dealing 220 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies hit and stunning them for 1 second. Generates 1 Valor, plus an additional Valor if at least one enemy Hero was hit.

Explanation: Shockwave offers Cairne a solid addition to his CC and damage. It doubles as the best Valor generator, which helps Cairne keep up with the Runes. Missing Shockwave is a crucial mistake, however, as it will not only deprive Cairne of a Valor, but it will remove Cairne’s only hard CC.

Endure
W (12 sec Cooldown)
Cairne prepares to endure all attacks, gaining 75 Armor for 1.5 seconds. This can be used while CC’d, and grants him Unstoppable for 1.5 seconds. If he receives an attack from an enemy Hero, he gains 1 Valor, plus an additional Valor per 20% health he would have lost (before mitigation).

Explanation: Endure gives Cairne his survivability. Without any mobility and a very conditional heal, Endure’s Unstoppable and heavy resistance makes him a juggernaut, albeit for a brief time. It is the player’s duty to build up Valor while Enduring so that he can get the heal and extra ability.

Enhancement
E (14 sec Cooldown)
(Passive) Every third basic attack grants Cairne 1 Valor and deals 80 (+4% per level) bonus damage. In addition, Cairne gains passive benefits based on his tier 1 talent.
(Active) Cairne slams down in a cone after a .35 second delay, dealing 180 (+4% per level) damage to all enemies hit plus bonus effects based on his tier 1 talent.

Explanation: Tauren Chieftains often have their weapon blessed by a shaman before the go into battle. Enhancement takes that theme fully, while still being different than Kharazim’s. Enhancement gives Cairne a passive way to build up Valor, and gives the player the choice on what about Cairne they want to augment.

Reincarnation
Heroic #1 (60 sec CD)
Cairne instantly gains full Runes, and upon receiving fatal damage, all Valor is consumed, healing him by 15% of his maximum health per Valor consumed. Effects end when Cairne runs out of Runes, or if he reincarnates once.

Explanation: Reincarnation is an ability Tauren Chieftain had in Warcraft III, and I wanted to add it into HotS. A passive resurrection would bleed too much into Kharazim and Leoric’s territory, So i decided to pair the mechanic with his Runes, which further emphasizes his feel.

Totem of the Ancestors
Heroic #2 (30 sec CD)
Cairne throws a totem at a 1 unit diameter target location within 5 units. Any enemy hit is dealt 200 (+4% per level) damage and is rooted for 1.25 seconds. For 4 seconds, the totem remains, releasing spiritual energies in a 4 unit radius area around it. Allies within the area deal 20% increased damage and gain 40 Spell Armor.

Explanation: I wanted Cairne to have another way to disrupt enemies and provide a more team-oriented heroic, as opposed to Reincarnation. I thought that his totem would be a good way to tackle it, and I wanted spell armor because spell armor is lacking in the game. It also has a low cooldown, because I wanted another low cooldown heroic in the game.

Tier 1

• Flametongue: [Passive] Cairne deals 30% increased damage with his abilities. [Active] Generates a Valor.
• Earthliving: [Passive] Cairne receives 15% increased healing from all sources. [Active] Caire is healed by 50% of the damage dealt.
• Frostbrand: [Passive] Cairne’s empowered attack slows enemies by 20% for 1.5 seconds. [Active] All enemies hit are slowed by 50% for 2 seconds. Slows cannot stack.

Tier 2

• Fueled by Valor: Increases the healing amount of consuming Valor by 50%.
• Chieftain’s Wisdom: If Cairne is dealt at least 330 (+4% per level) damage while using Endure, the cooldown is reduced by 25% and the mana cost is refunded.
• Runic Perseverance: Each rune now increases healing and shielding received by 15%.

Tier 3

• Imposing Warrior: Enemies in the hit area of Shockwave while Cairne is preparing the strike are slowed by 70%.
• Dragging Strike: Enhancement pulls in enemies within the first half of the range.
• War Stomp: When Endure is used with Valor, Cairne hesitates for .25 seconds before stomping in a 3 unit radius around him, stunning all nearby enemies for .5 seconds.

Tier 4

• Reincarnation: Cairne instantly gains full Runes, and upon receiving fatal damage, all Valor is consumed, healing him by 15% of his maximum health per Valor consumed. Effects end when Cairne runs out of Runes, or if he reincarnates once.
• Totem of the Ancestors: Cairne throws a totem at a 1 unit diameter target location within 5 units. Any enemy hit is dealt 200 (+4% per level) damage and is rooted for 1.25 seconds. For 4 seconds, the totem remains, releasing spiritual energies in a 4 unit radius area around it. Allies within the area deal 20% increased damage and gain 40 Spell Armor.

Tier 5

• Shaman’s Honor: Enhancement now generates 1 Valor on use, and when used with valor, it deals 50% increased damage.
• Fissure: Shockwave sends a wave of power 3 units past the end of Shockwave, damaging all enemies hit and counting towards the bonus Valor generation, but not stunning.
• Lead By Example: Cairne gains 30% increased movement speed while using Endure and moving towards an enemy Hero.

Tier 6

• Windspeaker’s Charms: Every time Cairne gains Valor, reduce Enhancement’s cooldown by 1.5 seconds.
• Double Blow: When Cairne lands an empowered basic attack from Enhancement, he attacks a second time immediately afterwards.
• Press the Advantage: If Cairne uses a Valor empowered ability within the first 2 seconds of gaining full Valor, the ability generates Valor as normal.

Tier 7

• Earthmother’s Blessing: Reincarnation passively increases the duration of Runes by 50%, and has a 25% reduced CD if Cairne ressurects.
• For the Horde!: War Banner grants Cairne 1 Valor every second he is within its effects.
• Ancestral Protection: For 3 seconds after consuming Valor, Cairne takes 35% reduced damage.
• Endurance Aura: Endure is now applied to all allies within a 4 unit radius around Cairne.

7 Likes

I like what you did with the character. Fresh ideas while staying close enough to original.
Also I’m not expert on this but he seems more of a tank than bruiser to me (CC and selfsustain and what not).

Good and inovative trait. I like that it gives him option for tactical decision on.
Just what seems to me as almost constant 30% additional healing is strong.

Simple and efficient. How wide would you think the line would be?

I like that. It reminds me of Medivh’s Force of will and its high reward playstyle.
That Rune refresh part seems really strong to me.

On its own is just like Stitches’s slam but Level 1 talents fix that nicely. More on them later.

While its good to try avoiding overlap between heroes I’m worried about the fact that without Valor this ability just doesn’t do anything. Maybe add small baseline heal.

Good area control here. Can the totem be destroyed?

I like the ability to choose your Enchantment. I’m bit worried that all the healing buffs would make him very hard to kill as long as there is healer around.

That is very powerfull when you consider that Endure is always going to use Endure to mitigate damage.

This makes avoiding Shockwave almost impossible but maybe that is the intention.

Do both of the conditions have to be met? If that is the case then it is very conditionaly useful talent.

Rest of the talent is good as it is.

So my final verdict is that the concept itself is very good. Only with all the healing increases he will be much more of a teamfight hero than solo laner IMO.

Thanks for the review again Marrossi! I see you are getting yourself all reviewed out before the CDC :wink:

I think you are right with this one. I wanted to slide him into the bruiser category because I want his damage to be respectable, but with his powerful CC and survival, I think tank fits better.

With the long cooldown on Cairne’s abilities, he needs to stay in combat in order to build up the runes; I do think it is a bit easy to maintain with Endure, though (discussed later).

Maybe 1.5 units in width or so.

You are right. I will remove the rune refresh.

The idea with Reincarnation was to really play into his trait’s mechanics. The Cairne player could choose either a large revive heal or using his abilities again. I supposed I could add a baseline heal, but his dependency on his Valor was supposed to be important to the use of the ability. I don’t want him to freely rezzing out of combat with use health.

No, the totem is indestructible.

You are right, I’ll make it like Medivh, where he needs to endure a certain amount of damage while using Endure.

Enemies can still use mobility moves to escape it, but it does keep players from simply walking out. I can reduce the slow if you feel its needed?

I don’t feel like it would be that conditional. It’s like Butcher’s move faster towards his brand talent, except it’s towards all enemy heroes while using Endure. It turns Endure into an engage tool.

1 Like

Well I have lots of assignment to school so of course I’m here on HotS forums. :joy:

Could be a good talent IMO.

True, this way the Ress is more interesting and I haven’t really tought about the Valor granting part.

I was just wondering if that was the intention. It seems balanced to me.

I never liked that talent on Butcher but I suppose it could work.

Also completly unrelated question: Do you think that hero can have to many abilities? (Up to 3 actives + 4 basic abilities + 1 ult)
I’m currently working on Adjutant concept (Global support)

I know that feel :skull:

You should come over to the HotS hero designer discord that Damian set up. There are several people who would be able to help you whenever you have a question about things (and you can see some of my in the works projects :smiley:).

Link here: https://discord.gg/ncRJsex