Game crashing randomly

Since new patch of today, HOTS its crashing randomly. Sometimes crash in the finishing match screen, and now i cant even enter the game. In “authenticating” screen, game get crash into black screen and my PC restart. Is not the temp, i check it and temp its fine. The other games (Overwatch, PUBG, BF3, etc) runs without problems. HOTS its exclude from antivirus.
Last nigth i play HOTS several hours without any problems.

My GPU: Asus Radeon R9 Fury Series of 4Gb
My gpu driver version: 20.8.3
My DxDiag: pastebin.pl/view/fbeda1d4

Hey there,

Sorry to hear about the crashing issues that are going on with the game. :frowning: Black screen crashes (with no error log generated) and PC restarts can often be caused by system instability, problems with the BIOS, or hardware issues. Different games will use the hardware in different ways, so it is definitely possible to see crashes show up in some games but not others.

I don’t see anything obviously wrong from your DxDiag. You may want to try resetting the game settings and then set the game to run in Windowed mode to see if that helps work around the problem.

1. Start the Blizzard app
  2. Select the game icon on the left
  3. Click on the Options menu (below the game logo) and select Game Settings
  4. Check the box “Additional command line arguments”
  5. In the new text box, type the following command:
    -displaymode=0
  6. Click Done at the bottom to save the changes, then hit Play to launch the game again.

I dont think its a hardware problem, because i was playing HOTS fine before yesterday patch (and others games). I have all drivers and BIOS updated.

I tryed what you say, and also i did a repair of the game from Blizzard App. I play without problem in window mode, but in fullscreen it keeps crashing.

There isn’t really a difference in terms of performance between Fullscreen and Windowed mode, other than that the system will be under less load while the game is in Windowed mode. Lower resolution means less stress on the CPU and GPU.

Since you can run other games in Fullscreen mode that should indicate it’s not an issue with the Windows OS. Also since Heroes of the Storm runs fine in Windowed mode that would indicate the game itself is fine. If it were a problem with Fullscreen in Heroes of the Storm then we’d be seeing tons of reports of others reporting the same thing happening.

You may want to make sure that your BIOS is up to date, and beyond that if you are comfortable working inside the PC try re-seating the video card and making sure the power cables are plugged in securely. We’re not able to get into hardware troubleshooting so you may end up needing to take it to a professional or try swapping hardware to test out the individual components.

Im kinda having the same problem but i cant even get into the game. ive tried everything you said here.

But is very random. I play yesterday without problems, now game crash and restart my pc in windowed mode. Several players are having problems, random crashes since last patch. I think its some incompatiblity with driver.

Duende2211,

Usually incompatibilities in drivers are going to be something with a setting or the driver itself. The reports we have of other issues are all pretty distinct from what you are reporting right now. As Jambix mentioned, a hard restart is not something the game itself can cause.

More likely it’s going to be a different program on your PC - typically a security program or just another application that is trying to fight for your drivers. Try uninstalling any third party security/firewalls you’re using, as well as disabling other background programs.

Beyond that, you’d probably need to work with microsoft or a PC technician to find out what’s failing, as this would most likely be a critical OS/Driver issue (which we can’t help much with, that’d need to be something you work with Microsoft of your GPU’s support team on) or a hardware issue which would need special PC technician tools and utilities to test.

I fixed it went into my heroes folder and deleted everything besides the folder itself. games working now.

1 Like

What heros folder? in my documents or where?