Game crashing all the time

My game has been crashing all the time, I stopped playing, because it either crashes on loading screen or mid match. I really wish there would be a definite fix for it…
Here’s my DxDiag: https://pastebin.pl/view/75b83a7e
Both Windows and graphic driver have been updated with the most recent versions.
Also I wish we could not receive the leaver status, because it’s really not my fault, I even tried to rejoin mid match.

Which storage drive are the game and bnet client installed in?

I’ve just realized they are in different drives: one is in C: (Bnet client), and the other in E:
Should I move them to the same? I’d move the Bnet client to the E: drive as it’s mostly for programs.
And how can I do that, do I simply move the Bnet folder to E:?

Move them both to C

The programs prefer to be on C and will always use C regardless of where you put the files

Move them both to C
The programs prefer to be on C and will always use C regardless of where you put the files

I see, problem is I don’t have space in C, as I use it mostly for OS (it’s an SSD which is not too big enough to have all games there)

So I moved the client folder to E:, do you think that would solve the problem?

Weird thing is I’ve been using the client for years now and only recently HOTS started to crash, so it’s weird that this would be the problem now.

So, I moved both to E:, I’ll give it a try, do you think it should stop crashing like that? Is there something else I should do?

Tyvm

Edit: I just moved the folder, then opened HOTS, after 5 minutes the game crashed…

Run an error check for both C and E drives

May take hours and you must set it manually each time

Follow this guide for how to do it:

https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115005587645-How-to-use-CHKDSK-Check-Disk-to-repair-a-hard-drive

Are you on Windows 10?

I am on Windows 10.

I checked both drives, no error was found

You need to run the chkdsk /r function shown in this guide for both drives:

https://www.minitool.com/data-recovery/chkdsk-f-or-r.html

I ran it, it took indeed some hours to conclude, I just tried opening it, 5 minutes later it closed by itself…

Hey Lernem,

I took a look at your DXDIAG to see if anything stood out there. Here’s what I’d recommend:

ATKEX_cmd.exe is crashing constantly and throwing errors. This looks like it’s an ASUS Program. Look in the Windows apps list and see if you can figure out what it is, then try uninstalling it.

It’s also possible there’s another program interfering with the game and causing the crash. Try rebooting in Selective Startup:

Press Windows Key+R.
Type msconfig and press Enter.
Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
Select the Services tab.
Check Hide all Microsoft services.
Note: Skipping this step may prevent your computer from rebooting correctly.
Click Disable all.
Click Apply then click OK.
Click Restart.

1 Like

So, ATKEX seems to be a driver, I uninstalled it and reinstalled the one from the ASUS website. I got a dialog saying there was a problem with it, but it never showed again. Maybe it keeps crashing, however I really don’t know how to solve it. I tested it without doing Selective Startup, it didn’t work, game closed at some point.

Then I did Selective Startup, which didn’t seem to have worked either. The game opened and gived me a “You were disconnected” error, and in my Battle.net client I was appearing as offline (maybe some blizzard service that didn’t start with selective startup? Although I have seen that the Blizzard server are facing some problems)

In summary, no improvement whatsoever, it keeps crashing.

Hey again,

What kind of crash are you seeing exactly? I tried searching for any crash logs submitted from your IP address but I’m not seeing any. Does the game actually generate an error code or message after the crash? Or does the game just close with no error and it boots you back to the desktop?

Hi Jambrix, sorry for the late reply.

Or does the game just close with no error and it boots you back to the desktop

Exactly like that, it just closes without showing any error message and I go back to desktop, I presumed it was a crash as the behavior is the same, do you think it could be something else?

Another thing is that it’s happening with Warcraft 3 Reforged too, I played it some weeks ago and it shows the same behavior, client just closes mid game.

You have an interesting point, maybe it’s not a crash, but would there be a solution for that too? What should I do to tackle it?

Lernem,

Other than what’s already been suggested, our best bets are to assume something odd is going on hardware wise or something like antivirus or firewalls is stopping us from using your drivers. If you’re running any third party security, try temporarily uninstalling those programs.

If that doesn’t work it’s likely overheating. Grab hwmonitor and install it. Then, launch hwmonitor and play a game until it crashes. Once it does, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5. Save this as Test2.JPG
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`

Hi Drakuloth,

these are the temperatures I got while playing HOTS. I could play and finish the first match, game crashed to desktop while I was in main screen. The game was in the background, I was doing other stuff.

https://imgur.com/a/aohnrtU

What I find weird is that I play other games where the CPU/GPU reach temperatures like these or even higher, but they don’t crash…And I’m talking about a lot of other games.

Also, I’ve had this same crash behavior while playing Warcraft III Reforged, I tried to play, then it crashed to desktop mid game.

At this point, I think maybe the only possible solution is reformatting my PC, which I wouldn’t really like to at this moment…And that wouldn’t even be a guarantee that the games would stop crashing.

In any case, I’ll wait for more instructions from you.

Thank you

Lernem,

Okay, so I do see a couple concerning things here - and if your temperatures are worse in other games, you definitely want to handle that. Of note, both of the games you’re talking about (Warcraft III and Heroes of the Storm) are more CPU heavy than most games because of how the engines do calculations. Heroes of the Storm for instance is based on the Starcraft II Engine, which puts a lot of load on the CPU so it can figure out where all the units are and who is going to win fights in real time.

What this means is that CPU heat instability like what I’m seeing in your test is a much bigger deal for those game engines. If you check the second pic there, you’ll see one of your CPU cores is maxing out at ~78C, and you’ll also note that the “Utilization” beneath that never quite hits 100% on your cores, which it should have at those temperatures. This isn’t a particularly high temperature all things considered, but it is higher than expected and does exceed the recommended Case Temperature of 71 C for your CPU.

That tells me something went wrong with your CPU or heat sink. Please note that touching anything inside of your PC can be very dangerous for both you and the computer itself so I cannot recommend that you do this yourself. However, I’d have a PC tech clean the CPU heat sink of dust and double check to make sure the thermal paste doesn’t need to be changed. While they’re at it they can also look for other mechanical failures at the CPU heat sink - like a fan with spinning issue or a bracket popping loose. (That last one happened on one of my motherboards during a move.)

Hi Drakuloth,

it’s been a while since I last posted, I read your comment and just accepted that it was a temperature problem. I also just went to play other games as I just simply couldn’t play HOTS.

Recently, after an update, I tried to open the game and I checked the CPU and GPU temperature. It was a very cold day and I had just turned the PC on. CPU temperature was around 50 oC - much lower than the recommended max. Still HOTS crashed, as soon as I opened it, like 10 seconds later.

I tried it on other cold days, as soon as I turned on the PC, while checking the CPU and GPU temperature. They were on very acceptable levels, and the game still closed randomly. So I don’t really think the temperature is the issue here.

Sadly I think I have accepted that I just can’t play it anymore using my current PC. I plan on getting a new one in a not so far future, but meanwhile I just accepted that I can’t play HOTS - it’s been many months now.

In any case, if you have any other suggestion, I’d be glad to hear, if not, well, I think I’ll just have to wait until I have a new computer. It’s really sad tho, I have put a lot of time and quite some money into it, and now I simply can’t play it without an apparent reason. I’ve read many other forum posts with players complaining about the same problems, so I’m a bit skeptical about the temperature being the problem, as the players who reported it seem to have very different computers and it seems that this problem happens after certain updates.

Anyways, thank you for your help, I just wished we had found an answer to it.

A post was split to a new topic: [ElSombrero] hots crash