Finally change the report system!

Here is what happened:
I had four games in a row -thanks matchmaking- with a mad guy. The first game of it I played Imperius. It was a bad game. After this one bad game, I played all following like usual without any violations of the rules. But this toxic guy was so mad, he shouted out to everyone and their mothers to report me. So after a few hours my account was locked. I took a screenshot of his flaming, wrote down his name and sent a ticket to blizzard.

Two weeks passed without any action of blizzard. I only got the message: “we are working on it”. My account is now unlocked, but I feel really sad about this. So I asked myself: why do you even get such stupid punishments? I mean, it’s okay to punish, but this is not okay. It only leads to people making smurf accounts and as results to more afker/leaver/feeder. (Lately I have every 2nd game one or more leaver.)

So my suggestion is: Do automated instant punishments with less duration.

For example: If someone disconnects or gets reported multiple times from multiple people during 48 hours for whatever reason, he gets punished for 15 minutes. The second time 1 hour. The third 2 hours and so on. (It’s similar to the way dead by daylight punishes.)

I feel like this would be more fair, would make the game less toxic and blizzard wouldn’t need to put so much effort in ban appeals.

5 Likes

Have you ever gotten a silence or suspension before HotS 2.0? Because they never decay.

I am 100% sure the first suspension doesn’t start at 2 weeks, it starts at either 3 days or 7 days. The third one is permanent.

If you had any account action years ago (even one of those 24h silences that no longer exist far as I know), unfortunately your next punishment may start at 2 weeks (even if it’s an automated action, from reports like Abusive Chat).

Also, one player can’t trigger the suspension even if he asked all your teammates to report you, it takes in the range of 30+ unique reports in a short time span.
Enemies can also no longer report you for Chat offenses like pre-2018.

3 Likes

Whaaaa. So eventually false reports will stack and you will get banned? Even if I have 1000 games played since with no offenses?

2 Likes

Reports decay. Account actions don’t.

You get three strikes as far as suspensions go, if you’re on your second one I’d basically abandon that account and only use it to log in for memories or to check up on friends.

Because if you get a third suspension you can never log on that account again in this lifetime.

Is this also true for OW?

I have never had any action on HotS, but on OW I once got a warning for offensive language (really?) because apparently enemy snowflakes reported me for taunting with “gg ez” after some close call ranked matches.

Should I be concerned? Is it shared throughout blizzard account or just game?

1 Like

No, fortunately the actions are game specific. So if you are temp suspended from HotS you can still play OW as usual.

I once got a warning for offensive language (really?) because apparently enemy snowflakes reported me for taunting with “gg ez” after some close call ranked matches.

I have also gotten an AFK warning in HotS after a long streak of playing SL in a premade (made a post about it), but a game master overturned it after I managed to get ahold of one on the Live Chat. They reviewed game data manually.

Warnings are very rare but if you get any I’d also appeal them if you are sure you weren’t guilty of the offense stated. It’s not good to have warnings on your file.

2 Likes

Hmm, iirc, when I talked about an issue with WoW GM that was after the OW warning, he said that he will help me given my clean record.

So I guess they do stay to their according games.

1 Like

Blockquote Reports decay. Account actions don’t. You get three strikes as far as suspensions go, if you’re on your second one I’d basically abandon that account and only use it to log in for memories or to check up on friends.

So basically your post leads to this: The more games you play, the more likely you get punished with “account actions” for random reports. This is ridiculous.

1 Like

Yes, the more you play in a short time span (especially in competitive modes like Storm League), the more you naturally expose yourself to random salt reports.

But it’s much less of an issue now than in past years, because now enemy players cannot submit abusive chat reports on you at all.

(They can still report you for other categories, but as those rely on manual review for suspensions, I’m not too worried even if I get a false warning once every few years)

Invite a couple friends to the party and your odds of gaining any false reports drops very low.

3 Likes

Blockquote I am 100% sure the first suspension doesn’t start at 2 weeks, it starts at either 3 days or 7 days. The third one is permanent.

It was my 2nd suspension. (1st one for reason a while ago, the 2nd not, because I cared after the 1st one) But in conclusion, it’s pointless to play on my account anymore (depending on the answer of the mods), because I have to worry to get banned for no reason every day.

1 Like

The easy solution is: Make false reporting have actual consequences.

As long as people can freely do it without fear of repercussions, they will.

1 Like

Blockquote The easy solution is: Make false reporting have actual consequences.

And who should check all the reports? I waited nearly 2 weeks only to get told to wait longer.

I’m convinced the reporting system should be removed the most as possible to let the team work more on the actual game.

There should only be a way to report for cheaters - not in the game, but on the website and with the condition to put screenshots or video as proof.

Afker/leaver or whatever should be punished automatically like I described before.

Other games are able to do this very well. Why not blizzard?

1 Like

You don’t need any additional checking. When someone disputes an action and it’s found that they actually didn’t do anything wrong. The reports in question have already been checked. So the players who made them should get a warning or more depending how often they do it. They already know who those players are.

This would make them less busy, not more, since fewer people would be reporting players just because they don’t like the way they play or disagree with a pick. Once it’s known that there are consequences to false reporting.

Everyone wins.

The people reviewing reports are not game designers. It would not affect the dev team’s workload.

I have already suggested them to make something close to the “Overwatch” thing Counter Strike did. The message as usual was ignored, and the community met it as usual with huge negativity. I have even put the procedure for how it should work. Basically appealing falsely would get you instantly perma banned, and appealing appropriately would get the reporting people in that particular game have their reporting rights revoked. You would always be notified if you were reported in a game, and it is your own responsibility if you are to bother the authority for it. Choosing to ignore to appeal it, turns it as successful and valid report against you with no decay(as you basically agree you did something wrong).

I barely remember when I wrote it, or what I even wrote, as it has been years.

the report system is complete garbage, punishments NEVER DECAY. also the moment you type ANYTHING in chat, even if it is GG. you can be reported by anyone and everyone in that game (even the enemy team) and it will count. reports decay over time very slowly BUT NOT over games. when you hit X amount of reports you get the next punishment on the list.

the report system should be outright removed since it can be so easily abused and causes people to get perma banned

Blockquote This would make them less busy, not more, since fewer people would be reporting players just because they don’t like the way they play or disagree with a pick. Once it’s known that there are consequences to false reporting. Everyone wins.

In theory you are right. The report system should work like this.
But in the reality it’s super abusive and it doesn’t work like it is supposed to. For example do you think the thousands of smurf accounts care about such changes?

The report system how it is now makes the game worse in all ways.

The player base gets toxic and decreases more and more over time. Blizzard earns less money. People abuse the system itself and much more I can’t even think of right now.

How would you feel having two strikes on your account? This is literally a trash account now. How does this help the game or anyone?

Even if you rework the report system completely, I don’t see anyone winning. #feelsbadman

I don’t think this will work with the current account system. Basically you would end up punishing « true » accounts and encouraging some « hate » accounts. Actually I believe that making the creation of accounts not free but something like 5 euros would help the game in several ways. And I don’t think that would it would discourage « legitimate » smurfs, those smurfs who play with different ranks in SL or those known streamers since it is not that costly to create 5 accounts for example.

And then, your system could be set up.

Last Update:
More than 4 weeks have past and after another request from me I got an answer. They gave me no explanation whatsoever, but my account remains tainted. I feel like the GM who told me didn’t even know either what’s going on.

I am 100% sure I did not violate against the rules. I played all my games to the end. I barely used the chat and did not flame anyone. It remains a mystery to me why I got this punishment. It’s for no reason at all.

So what am I gonna do? Either I will quit hots or I will start multi smurfing. It makes me angry/sad to loose my account like this, but this is Hots 2020. It has the most ridiculous report system I have ever seen in a game.

I dont know why you say 2020. The game became this toxic since 2016 actually.

For 2020 I can confirm that the playerbase is using the reporting system to defend their egos tho. There is a reason why Riot Games give the reporting option AFTER THE GAME. The last thing you need is to give tools involving responsibility to a frustrated/tilted player(including me). After the game, the player is usually more forgiving for minor things.

There are issues with the reporting system, but like most said - there isn’t much you can do about it outside of creating smurfs. Nobody looks at reports anymore and they just shoot random replies to you without checking anything, they just don’t have the manpower to do anything. And to be honest, even when they do (e.g. these forums are moderated by humans) - they got some really special people doing it …