• Peeling
  • Interrupting Rotations
  • Taking hits and dodging them

On top of other general things such as,

• Map Awareness
  • Hero/Player limitations
  • Holding Back abilities
  • Combo-ing/Countering/Baiting

Feel like things that are tough for the average player. Or at least I will not put my faith on them having those understood & applied.

But then at the same time, I’d rather have a tank go 1vs5, than perhaps anyone else (maybe some bruisers better). I’d usually call “b” or “give”, then “white ping” and leave that tank. That would give me time to get things done, even after ping spams. Kinda using their slower death to my own advantage and creating win conditions on my own, or sometimes with others who noticed what I was doing was a good idea.

People are generally really bad at tanks. From experience I’d say push more people to play it, but my gut doesn’t want to.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why this game mode is the most played.

I at least would play more healers if they had not “reworked” two of my favourites into the ground. Also total dependency as no waveclear or camping (one of the reasons i like BW so much atm.).

There is no actual problem with that.

Sometimes, very sometimes.

That was terrible and against the concept of QM.

It´s fast, it gives you maximum freedom, no people screming at you for picking the hero you like to play, regular map (not everyboby likes no-objective single-lane), no silly people feeling entitle because some label was slapped onto their account, more interesting comps than draft.

Or in other words, the superior PvP-mode in the game.

…Right. That’s why people cry over its matchmaking constantly.

1 Like

People also constantly cry about the matchmaking in SL, so what?

It also de facto dwarves SL+UD in games played, so it gives players what they want, whereas SL obviosly fails hard on additional levels.

1 Like

People constantly cry about matchmaking in [video game]

2 Likes

There are 14 quick match main tanks in the game and 2 of them have have good waveclear.
This is a 14% chance… So you really want to go there? On top of that only Muradin and Anub after 13 have good PVE for against the immortal. But not good compared to most of the assassins

1 Like

thats assuming they all have equal pick rate plus theres a bruiser in there to which could have good wave clear.

I wrote it down earlier
I hate that half the forum people never read. It happens to almost all threads

Put a loot box reward on it. Every 3 matches you play as a tank or healer you get a free loot box. Progress resets weekly.

I´m missing thw condition to win there, otherwise afk chest-farmers will flood games.

That rarely happens unless they are all in a party. And it should be known that parties can manipulate the matchmaker as much they want by queing up with specific heroes that break MM. Parties can also que up with 5 tanks/bruisers on thier team and your team would only have a main tank and tons of mages to babysit againts that.

Edit. I take that back. I just had a game now vs 5 randoms that had main tank and two bruisers againts me as solo tank. We lost hard lol.

1 Like

The exp bonus kind of sucks, doesn’t seem to translate into much. For me, I usually run a healer or a main tank in QM and just learned to love it because you really do get more even and balanced games (mostly) when both teams have a tank and a healer. I would say my win rate playing tank/healer is superior to when I play an assassin.

But there in lies the issue, whenever I feel like I need a break from playing those two roles and decide to play one of my assassins, it’s a burst/burst deathball blow up match probably 6 - 7/10 times, with the other 3 - 4 having a proper tank and healer combo.

Experience bonus should be heftier imo, maybe if you level up with a tank or healer you get a secondary basic chest or whatever.

The only problem with giving people rewards for things like this is the people who want to play those roles already are, so you have to make the rewards so strong that people who don’t enjoy them, or are not very good at them, will be the ones queuing.

I know this will never happen, due to the reduced staff and funding, but what I think would go much further in encouraging people to play tanks and healers is to put a true tutorial or training mode in the game. Unless you have a mentor along with you, learning how to effectively tank or heal can be a challenge. While it is easy enough to press a button to put a heal on someone, or to use a hard engage into an enemy team, learning how to be more than a healbot or a target dummy can require a lot of watching videos, or using other resources not in game.

3 Likes

Alternative to giving rewards: Give players the ability to decide the matchmaking they want. Sacrificing all semblance of game design on the alter of making Quick Match queue times as small as possible is a terrible cancer on the gameplay experience, the ability to choose the roles you want the matchmaking to look for or even specify a Hero to play with (PUG Cho’gall framework?) would fix the queue.

The people who want blazing fast matchmaking can queue all whatever, the people who want coherent teams can specify Healer+Tank+Bruiser, and the strange madmen that enjoy 10 Assassins can sit back and await the poor souls looking for low queue times trapped in there with them.

I want tank/healer only matches. Whee!

I have a blast playing Blaze when I got another tank or some heavy frontline bruiser like Artanis/Leoric, problem is that I dont have fun with Blaze when I have a 4 Assassins in my team and the other, they damage becomes way to high for me to react at most stuff and there are always assassin players that just dont get when to engage or disengage which ends up me being dead a lot of the times.

1 Like

On top of that, make that tutorial on “How to help your fellow tank/healer when YOU are the assassin”

3 Likes

This is really to the point of the matter and often why people don’t think you can “carry” on healers or tanks. As you said, it’s far more obvious when an assassin gets a kill, it’s usually flashy and clear who did a kill. A tank peeling and saving an ally? This can often go unnoticed by an assassin main and the same goes for clutch heals. It’s funny you wrote about BW’s pixie dust. I was so happy a few days ago when a Varian player I was randomly matched with had read the patch notes and knew I had taken the extra speed boost at 13, so he knew he could aggressively chase and safely disengage while I was in range. Most people don’t know this. I had one player say “where is the speed boost coming from?”

I hope you get this thread wasn’t my version of a MM complaint thread. It’s really a covert “I want people to discover the joys of paying healers and tanks” thread, and “gimme more stuff as I already main tanks and heals!” :wink:

I had the same concern, which is why I don’t think people should get anything that makes it too attractive to play these roles just for the sake of getting goodies. I was too afraid to touch any kind of Tank for at least the first year of playing the game, now they are my most played role. I was fortunate as I had friends who encouraged me to play in groups in QM and guided me through it. My point is, we all have to start off bad and if a small amount of shards and/or extra XP encourages people to try out these roles, then I think more good will be done than harm. Many people are already terrible at the assassin roles they main in QM anyway, they might find they are better suited to healing or tanking.

1 Like

Nah, that was just a dumb reply to something else. Healers are awesome, everyone should get good at a healer :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes