Dont focus tank!

This is the most stupid thing ppl say in the game.

Why is it a bad thing to bring up? Main reason is that you should never waste time doing nothing.

If enemy tank walk up to you, puts himself in a bad position, then its just waste of time to not attack him.

Just burn him down together if he comes to close, then you force thier healer to waste a lot of mana to keep him alive.

The worst misstake is when you ignore the tank and try to dive backliners without any communication or backup. What happens here is that you waste a lot of time trying to reach a hard target. What you rather should is to focus the most easy target and force that target to reposition, or die.

A good example is when enemy Muradin or Anub dives in. Make everyone focus him if he gets a bad position playing too aggressive.

Always focus the tank as soon he makes a misstake. This goes for any role, focus a target whenever someone comes out of position, no matter who it is.

23 Likes

It mostly comes from other moba’s in which tanks are basically gods that deal no significant damage and are mostly there to intercede for their assassins.

That being said, not focusing a tank will make you really unhappy if you’re playing a backline squishy.

There are some maintanks that come awful close to brusier in terms of damage if people let them get away with it.

9 Likes

The Tychus/Malthael won’t listen.

12 Likes

Overkill examples! I see what you did there.

1 Like

Let me just focus the healer who’s protected by 2 tanks with displacements and CC instead of the tank who’s much easier to target.

9 Likes

NotParadox had an excellent video on this. But in general, there isn’t a single rule regarding a focus target. Sometimes it is better to chain CC the tank and explode the healer, sometimes a DPS will move out of position and make themselves a juicy target, and sometimes keeping the tank too busy to make an effective engage is the best play.

13 Likes

I’ve seen tanks/assassins diving head-on to enemy backline to get to that delish Ming booty or healer while us backliners are dying to a Genji.

I always focus the Tank because it allows me to always be DPSing without killing anything. If I kill someone then I can’t DPS anymore and I just want to have like 700,000 Hero Damage.

If we lose the match I can tell my teammates that I had top DPS so it’s their fault.

4 Likes

In mura’s case this is RLY risky. I usualy go full healing static+ avatart build. If you try to rush me at lvl 20 i have nearly 13 k exp. This is insanly hard to burst down unless you have something like varian or ana.

In some cases you lot trying to kill me is what in the end losses the match. You group up near me(im close to the backlike allready so then tanks rush me as well it turns out 3 to 5 heroes are in the range of w).

This is a rly risky move. Still you must do something or give em the axe will murder your backline.

All of this aint black and white. You must adapt.

rofl I see this post one or twice a week.

I like to pick Anub’s cocoon and I always save the enemy with it. I think that’s more fun than using it to kill someone. We still win the match anyway. But it’s kind of fun to piss off my team every now and then.

I think focusing the tank is not the problem, the problem is where people are not focusing at all. Say you are using Valla and there is an Anub coming right at your face. The logical thing is to attack the easy target (i.e. Anub). But no, the Zeratul dive into the backline and attacks Alex. At the same time your Kel’thas starts throwing Living Bombs to Illidan and your Graymane was tossed away by Garrosh. Zera almost got Alex but she flew away with her ult, healing her team, killed Zeratul and landed safely in the backline. Graymane tried to recover from being out of position but was burnt down by the enemy team. And then Kel’thas saw two of your team died and tried to retreat, but Garrosh had him first. You cast Vault and rush back to the gate and got blame by the team for attacking the tanky Anub all along.

Note: Lt Moralas in your team went AFK before the team fight.

1 Like

Focus on the best option for the situation, not the general one.

2 Likes

Because tanks are designed to overextand so he can usually eat a bit of damage. It is called an engaging tank. If you do not have the capability to instantly kill him, then you shouldn’t waste your time on him.

A tank will never dive alone. He will always dive to allow his team to make a move, so his healer and assassins are not far behind.

The problem is that one usually cannot burn a tank down fast. During that time you will be hit by 4 other enemies which will likely burn down one of you by selective targeting. Once numbers are in their favour you will mostly lose the team fight.

One should only focus the tank if the tank is really out of position. For example if Stiches pulls the enemy tank across some obstacles into your team then it is a good idea to focus them as he will mostly die before his allies get to him. However this does not work well against all tanks, eg Malganis or Dehaka.

Some tanks have so much health, armor and hp regen they are effectively 30-40% of the entire teams toughness. You could kill 2-3 other players before you manage to kill their tank. This is generally why focusing the tank is a bad idea as the tank is the only hero which can afford to take lots of damage. Someone like Valla is a much higher priority target than Diablo because she dies in 1/4 or 1/5 of the damage Diablo does.

Of course dealing any damage, even to the tank, is better than no damage. It can become the opposite problem where everyone compromises formation and ends up dealing no damage trying to focus down that Kael or Valla in the back line of an all tank comp.

1 Like

Focus Morales ! :smiley:

Yes if you notice an enemy tank is far out of position, wasted their CDs and enemy teams chances of mounting a strong counter attack is low, you can safely focus tank.
Problem here is wasting your pressure CDs on a tank that can easily retreat and heal up.

For example when I play muradin with 3rd wind I try to burn enemy CDs as much as I can from a relatively safe distance. I show them a piece of meat to see if they’ll bite. If they do I retreat heal back up in about 12 sec while my healer enjoys not needing to waste mana on me and my damage dealers have some delightful time.

1 Like

In my experience sentences like “dont focus tank” are usually said by tanks after the enemy team focused them down, adding to the irony.

3 Likes

As long as they all died who care if they focused the tank or not ? But really , its all about the situation , sometimes focusing the tank IS the better options. We can just male a general blanket statement like that.

IF. People say “don’t focus the tanks” because 9 times out of 10, people go out of their way to focus them instead of focusing the healer or dps that is clearly out of position.

1 Like