Does blizzard care about this game any more?

I literally just came after 5 games. 5 games of afk/leavers/non participate. People don’t care to play the game. But of course. INSANE tryhard on enemy team like it’s ranked. In ranked same things. THen u try normal, and always you get the afker. Do you intentionally wanna make us give up on this game? Just close it if u dont care

5 Likes

I’m no fan of Blizzard, but they have no control over how hard players try to win, or if players choose to AFK. What they do provide is tools to report players who AFK.

In a recent Ranked game, a player on my team said in draft they would AFK by taking Medivh and just “fly around and land occasionally” so as not to be kicked.

One of the players on my team said the four of us should report this individual for AFK, I did, but the other two players said “reporting does nothing”, which is very true if people don’t report for the right offence, or report at all.

I get your frustration. I, too, have been unlucky and have three games in a row where someone disconnected, or trolled, it’s unfortunately the downside of multiplayer games, it’s not something unique to Hots or Blizzard.

4 Likes

and ? next game genius matchmaking pairing you with reported player :smiley: it is reall hell!!!

1 Like

Punishments aren’t instant. Do you want a system where if a single player reports your account, you would be automatically suspended?

I didn’t think so.

To avoid being matched with that player again, either leave the end screen tab open, or open a whisper with the player and wait until you see their status change to “in game” or “this player is no longer playing Heroes of the Storm” and then queue up.

I use the above workaround to avoid being matched again with disruptive players.

6 Likes

No they do not. Just like they do not care about their customer base anymore.

1 Like

What you’re complaining about are “false positives”. You don’t want certain things to happen, but you have assumed that there is a connection between a coorelation and causation of that.

Cool, you have 5 games in an unspecified mode, in an unmentioned region that may have been in “leavers queue”

I played over 20 games yesterday. Of those, I had 1 intentional leaver bail on an all-Illidan aram (1 leaver out of 4 mirror matches) and I had one pair of friends have connection issues at the end of a different match, and I had 1 butcher (in a multi-butcher game) say he was “bored” and then feed.

I didn’t have players break out into flame wars, and while the games were mostly silent, many extended “gg” even on lost games, and some even offered greetings and told, or responded, to jokes.

Mileage in online experiences is going to vary. Anecdotes that rely on exaggerated claims tend to neglect details that influence the experience of a player, esp when they’re caught up on negativity biases.

Many topics that look to blame devs, or anyone else they can, for matching concerns usually neglect their own actions and thus neglect that they may have influenced their own bad experience.

Perhaps you’ve left games and are actually in leavers queue; maybe you argue/ or faulted another player and they reacted with a form of protest.

The use of “literally” in un-literal circumstances tends to indicate a lack of concern for details that do matter, so you could “literally” make your universe better for you for unlearning that emphatical :+1:

4 Likes

I love these threads.

Nothing says “I just lost a bunch of games” like a good “blame Blizz” rant.

7 Likes

It’s telling that they ignored the advice I gave them of how to avoid being matched with the same player again.

It’s clear they are the tilted type who, instead of taking a few deep breaths in between matches, they just hit that ready button instantly and then wonder why they are on a losing streak.

2 Likes

no, I’ve never left any game. This happened too much in ranked so I stopped playing c ause ranked with champion select take too much time and then u lose rate because people wanna chill and afk in ranked game. Then u go in a fast game and same thing happens. Happens once, twice , thrice? All the time.

5 games in a row with a minimum of 1 leaver? Have you tried changing servers OP?

Also offtopic but I like your name.

So they are to blame. If they had made a normal selection of players, then there would have been less toxicity. After all, one of the reasons for toxicity is that everyone plays with just anyone, and not with equals. Groups are assembled according to the average MMR, and this is tantamount to a spread in numbers, which can be seen in games with the dominance of one team over another.

No idea why some people still think that. Its all bad human behavior when someone choose to afk. Also the only people that try hard in qm are high ranked premades that only play qm to steamrole randoms for easy wins.

Problem is too many quits even before game has begun or only joins to troll cause he hate Blzzard and tries to make as many uninstall as possible.

Before I stopped playing I had seen the same two trolls spam racist slurs and other mindblowing stuff for over a year on 100+ accounts and they never cared about if it was a waste of time or not. Doing that for over a year was enjoyable to do for those two and people like them dont care how many times you would report them cause they would just come back on a new account.

1 Like

MMR averaging is mostly a QM problem (it sometimes happens in SL if people are grouped as different ranks), unless the game has an influx of new players (and renewed investment in development), MM issues can’t be addressed.

From launch, Blizz should have added more social tools to Hots such as Guilds/Clans/Communities, but that ship has long since sailed. Stricter role and skill matching in QM should also have been a thing from launch. When they eventually made significant changes to QM matching (I think 2018 or 2017) players experienced far too high queue times (many also stated match quality went down), so the change was partially reversed, so it only matches tank/tank healer/healer ranged DSP/ranged DPS.

I’m not taking you to task or disagreeing, but I am being pragmatic. If the small Dev team aren’t even allocated the time to fix ever-increasing bug issues, and the patch loop Bug in the B.net launcher (Client stability was a stated goal in the full maintenance mode notes), then it’s unrealistic to expect that small team to improve MM this late in the game.

I agree it’s honestly baffling that people think this, why would Blizzard deliberately put AFK players on your team? They have nothing to gain by doing so and it would probably cost more time (see money) to implement such a system over the real causes, players and circumstances are often unpredictable.

People should point fingers at the absolutely dreadful reconnection system, or the lack of in game social tools, etc., there is no need to make up conspiracy theories to explain why some players choose (or are disconnected due to no fault of their own) to AFK.

I’ve also noticed that those who complain about “being matched with the same troll” in back to back matches, completely ignore the advice most of us give them to use the end screen Tab, or whisper function to avoid disruptive players. They would rather just blame and doom and gloom, rather than take some simple steps to address their issues.

2 Likes

Money. Games that are based on microtransactions use systems that encourage making purchases, including matchmaking systems. As a gamer, I would love to say that gaming companies are trying to make the most balanced, enjoyable experience for their players. As an accountant, I have worked on analyzing revenue based on changes to these types of systems. The systems are built to generate as much revenue as possible, not to create the most balanced matches possible.

Of course, the system can’t predict every player, can’t predict every afk, but it can prefer placing players who recently purchased a boost on teams with slightly elevated MMR or against teams with slightly lower MMR. Based on the stats we see at the end of each game, we know the system tracks average kills, average damage, average deaths, etc. for every hero on every map in every mode. Blizzard didn’t create those data tracking systems just to show players “you had less average deaths than other Rexxar’s on this map” at the end of each match.

1 Like

I’m going to skip over your other reasons, as, although I acknowledge such technologies exist to manipulate player behaviour to increase revenue, I highly doubt those algorithms are part of Hots.

Two reasons stand out to me. Hot is “abandoned”, and every item and hero can be forged for free, or drop for free in a Loot Chest.

I’ll admit what I stated above provides no more proof than you did, but there is yet to be any credible evidence provided to verify your theory and a great deal of evidence that Hots was very mismanaged and that the gamble on 2.0., with Loot Boxes didn’t pay off as the company had hoped.

Blizz also excludes Hots from all Black Friday sales, so it seems they don’t want your money. Many of my friends once bought the 360 boost each year when it was on sale, but never since Blizz discontinued the Black Friday sales for Hots.

Hots also gives 125 free Gems every 25 players levels, a mega hero bundle containing 20 heroes that costs a mere 100 Gems. If they really have added an algorithm to “deliberately add AFK players” to matches to encourage sales, then I will posit that strategy is an overwhelming failure.

TLDR: No need to look for complex “reasons”, when much can be attributed to random chance, mismanagement and apathy.

3 Likes

I agree with this. I think the matchmaking system geared toward producing revenue was implemented before it became abandoned though and I’m sure it hasn’t been updated since. At this point, i don’t think blizzard is tweaking the matchmaking system for HOTS either, i think what HOTS has now is like a weird, partial, hybrid-monstrosity of Activision’s matchmaking system for Call of Duty. I think they intended to use the system to generate revenue, but gave up on HOTS part of the way through and stopped making updates.

I can provide links to the matchmaking system Activision patented that encourages microtransactions that they finalized just months before the major overhaul to the HOTS matchmaking system, but I’ve done that in the past on these forums, only to find that it still isn’t enough evidence for most other players.

You are right that while I do know these matchmaking systems exist for certain, when it comes to HOTS specifically, I can’t confirm with 100% certainty that it uses a similar system. I do think it is very likely, based on timing, that the matchmaking system patented by Activision was at least partially implemented with HOTS though.

1 Like

I’m aware of this, but unless Blizzard admitted it outright, there is no way to know for certain.

If this was part of Hots, I wouldn’t doubt that MM might be manipulated for revenue. I just don’t see any valid reason such an MM would deliberately match people with AFK players, I fail to see how that would encourage anyone to spend money?

There is also the unpredictability (outside a small amount of accounts made for the purpose of trolling) that such a system could predict if a player will AFK in the first place.

Well, bah, my expectations for Hots is very low. I just wish they would fix the Client Patch loop bug and the bug with Recruit a Friend as I have IRL friend who was going to join, but the bug means they no longer receive any rewards like the free Raynor or Sylvanas.

2 Likes

Because it’s not evidence.
Let’s say that everything about that is true, that Activision has a system that cheats to encourage players to buy stuff.
That existing is proof only to its existence.
Like if I’d have a gun, that’s proof for me having a gun, but no proof for using it, especially not on “my son, Storm”.
Reddit also has some famous HotS dataminers, if they didn’t find such systems, I won’t put on my tinfoilhat.

Answering @op’s question (while ignoring the fact that it’s just an “I lost a few”-rant):
The company that has control over HotS doesn’t care about HotS. That’s why it’s in maintenance mode. Simple.

2 Likes

I’m just gonna copypasta the above in these kinds of threads from now on, it might save me from developing RSI.

1 Like

The patent doesn’t even really prove the existence of the system, simply that they have the rights to build it and use it. I have enough knowledge about businesses to make the connections between patent expenses and changes in revenue and make an educated guess that has more evidence indicating that the system was implemented than evidence that it wasn’t implemented.

I don’t understand your choice of words when you say “a system that cheats.” Could you explain what you mean?