Disconnected While Authenticating // Endlessly Reconnecting

Hey guys!

I’ve tried digging around the forums for a solution to an issue I’m having playing HOTS, with no luck. I really appreciate anyone’s assistance!

Currently every time I’m logging into the Americas server I get to “Authenticating” and am shortly after disconnected. The game then tries to reconnect effectively endlessly. So far, the game has only worked one time since I updated it, immediately after it was updated.

So far I have tried…

• I can connect and play on the European / Asia Servers
  • I have uninstalled the reinstalled the game twice
  • I have flushed and reset my network connections.
  • I’ve allowed HOTS through my firewall on both public and private settings
  • I have updated all my drivers
  • I have reset my IP

Anyone else been hit by this issue? Again, appreciate any feedback in resolving it!

Hey there Cappn!

Thank you for taking the time to reach out with those details. Can you temporarily test an alternate network such as a mobile hotspot or VPN? This will help us quickly determine whether the issues are network-related.

If the issue is resolved when using an alternate network, at that point we can be sure that the issue is isolated to the primary network. In these situations, ultimately we can only recommend contacting the Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance determining what is causing the issue to occur on that specific network. They might need to adjust network-level security/firewall settings on your modem or temporarily replace the device to narrow it down further. I always recommend requesting to be forwarded to a “level 2 or level 3 technician” when contacting the ISP since the front-line representatives typically only have access to basic diagnostics and troubleshooting tools.

I hope this helps you get back in-game smoothly!

It did work through the mobile hotspot on my phone. I believe it is a router issue - odd it worked once and never again after.

Currently traveling, as I had no issues back home - thank you for the reply!

Hey Cappn, thank you for providing that update! Feel free to simply reply in this thread if you have any questions going forward. :slight_smile:

Do you have any recommendations of what I could try?

Tech support seems to have awkwardly ended.

Hey there,

I noticed you mentioned traveling. If the network is Hotel or Business internet (at an office building or internet cafe,) you would need to work with the network admin to resolve the issue. This is especially true if your home network does not have the issue, and the game works on a mobile hotspot. As both of those indicate the problem is specific to the local network.

If you’re using a normal home network when the endless reconnecting issue happens, I’d normally suggest a factory reset on both the modem and router. Though do be sure to contact the service provider to ensure there is no extra setup involved after doing such a thing. Some providers require you to re-authenticate the device.

I also recommend checking for software on the computer such as “Killer Network Center” or “HP Connection Optimizer” - Neither will be active when using a mobile tether and will only impact the network when using a network card related to their software (Such as killer wifi or killer ethernet, normally built into the motherboard)

If you’ve checked for these programs, bypassed the router (connecting directly to the modem,) already done a reset on the modem/router, the next thing to do is replace the modem. Though if it’s still happening even after that only the ISP could ever truly solve the problem if it’s exclusive to their network.

While this is not a fix, a VPN may bypass the issue in some cases by appearing to network providers and security programs as a different connection. This is because you’d be connecting to the VPN not the game, and the VPN would connect to our services for you. Though these are typically paid services and it’s not a real solution. Even if this works I’d still highly recommend working with the network provider for a more long term solution.

Note, some countries have restrictions on VPN services. Please be sure to check local policies before proceeding if you chose to test one out.

I do sincerely hope the information helps. Let us know how things go!

A post was split to a new topic: Disconnected while authenticating

Thank you very much for your help! Using a VPN was able to resolve the issue!