Constant Lag Making Game Unplayable

Since Mei dropped, my games have seen MASSIVE lag spikes to the point that the game is virtually unplayable. Logging in to try a shot at QM is a veritable slot machine, and in the last couple of weeks I would say 1/10 games have had decent enough connection to not lag once more than three heroes were on screen.

This even happens in AI games, as I did some to experiment.

In efforts to boost frame rates, I have: lowered display resolution, lowered all graphical settings of the game, made sure no other computer apps are open at the time of playing, and even going as far as to disconnect all other devices from my Wi-Fi.

I really want to play this game, I do, but constant connection issues like this that are DEFINITELY on the host side (I experience no other issues with my computer aside from HoTS lag) make it really hard to want to play. Would really appreciate a blue reply on this topic!

3 Likes

Mine is also like this, I had assumed once the weather was removed it would work again. The game is not playable at the moment, I usually play at Ultra, but even at Low it still lags like crazy

1 Like

Unsure if this is the same issue, but my game is doing something similar where everything runs fine for about 3 seconds, stutters, and then is fine again for another 3 seconds. happens when i launch HOTS and will continue on my computer even after closing hots

Me too! I thought it was over when i saw the patch notes that the weather anomaly stuff is out.

Just tried a few games this week, always around the 07:00 - 07:30 mark the game get extreme lag spikes.

This game used to play smooth for me before the update with the weather effects. It would chop a bit when there was a lot going on, like the Zerg rush, but nothing serious. Now though, I can’t hit most of my skill shots.
I also thought it was something to do with the weather. It’s still a problem though even now that the weather has been removed.
While playing in try mode, the game is fine. If I play QM or ranked, the game is ultra choppy, pretty much throughout the match.
Enabling the in game technical meters by pressing ctrl+alt+f, it shows that my FPS is always over 70. My ping hovers around 40-70.

I have the game setting mostly at high. 1920x1080 resolution.
System:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19041)
Intel® Core™ i9-9900KF
32768MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

I have another computer in the house. I’m going to play a game on it and see if it’s just as bad.

Thank you for your reports! We’re not aware of any issues that should be causing this problem after the climate effects removal or the mei patch. I am a bit curious if there might be some similar issues that we’ve seen with some of our other games after the Windows 10 v2004 or Build 19041.

Everyone reporting the issue so far are in different location or regions so connection issues doesn’t first come to mind. It could be same behaviors but different causes in this situation that we’ll may want to troubleshoot individually, but let’s check for any common causes first.

Could you provide a DxDiag file to check and compare? Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
DxDiag Here
~~~

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

Same with my friend and me.
Since the weather update we hat lags and delays ingame, lobby and in the title screen.
We were happy to see it was removed but yesterday we tried a brawl and he had laggs after 30 seconds in the game which caused him to lag out and leave, and for me it started started 2 minutes later where it slightly got worse until I couldnt do anyhting.

pastebin(dot)com/0Lzv8QPn
:slight_smile:

Hey there,

It looks like Windows Defender was having trouble updating, be sure to run a DISM repair and System file checker as described here. Though I’m not confident that will entirely resolve the issue. We may also want to check for packet loss.

Lets go ahead and grab a winMTR so we can further investigate the problem. Here are the instructions:

1. Download the tool from this page
  2. Enter the game IP into the “host” field. The IP address for our games are listed on the winMTR instructions page
  3. Start the test and play the affected game for at least 15 minutes. Ensure the problem happens while the winMTR tool is running.
  4. After recording the problem data, click “export text” and save the winMTR file in an easy to find location.
  5. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the winMTR. It’ll look like this:
WinMTR goes here

If you have issues pasting here, please use Past ebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

pastebin(dot)com/niWwHfrh

Im having the same issue, been going on since this summer.
Insane lagspikes, feels like the fps is dropping from 150+ to 10 for 3-6 seconds.

win 10 64bit
1080ti
32gb ram 2666mhz
i7-8700k

All settings are on low / off

Its unplayable

I think I found the problem and I posted a reply on another thread. I confirmed the solution works with someone else on Reddit who was also experiencing the same problem. See if this solution works for all of you:

I too am having the same issues. Studdering and short dc inside game. Does this in AI match as well as QM. Screen and sound studders.

I also am experiencing this.

My FPS is always high (about 120 average) but there is mini freeze-ups making fighting almost impossible.

I have disabled Overwolf, Discord and Windows in-game overlays as those have been known to cause problems.

I’ll try the sound channel thing and see if that helps.