Constant disconnections from game

I’ve been playing HotS since the Alpha and this is the first time I’ve had this issue. Starting today, whenever I’ve been playing, I disconnect from the game for 2 or 3 seconds, multiple times per game. My last game on Dragon Shire lasted for over 15 minutes and I disconnected 6 or 7 times. I’ve always had little freezes, but never to the point where it announced my departure to other players and began to hearth me home.

I logged out with no change; rebooted with no change; and finally tried to uninstall the game. I was unable to do so through the normal method of Windows 10 via the Control Panel. Every time I tried to get Windows to do it, I would see a Blizzard symbol, like the app, flash in my taskbar and nothing would happen. So I finally deleted the HotS folder and then reinstalled the game. But nothing has changed. I still drop out repeatedly, which basically makes the game unplayable.

I’m posting this here because when I try to open a Support ticket, the system constantly runs me in circles and won’t allow me to open one.

I’m on Win10 Home on an Acer Aspire VN7; Intel Core 7-6700HQ @ 2.6G; 16G of RAM.

Jackwraith,

Could you run a WinMTR and post the results here? It should help to see what is going on when the disconnects happen.

Running WinMTR

I’m trying to do so and the forum keeps telling me that “you can’t include links in your posts.”

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| dsldevice.attlocal. net - 2 | 1117 | 1101 | 0 | 8 | 552 | 4 |

|76-238-200-1.lightspeed.ypslmi.sbcglobal. net - 5 | 1010 | 967 | 0 | 35 | 260 | 36 |

| 71.151.252.49 - 5 | 1010 | 967 | 0 | 31 | 259 | 26 |

| 12.123.159.230 - 5 | 1002 | 957 | 0 | 42 | 264 | 32 |

| ggr6.cgcil.ip.att. net - 5 | 1002 | 957 | 0 | 37 | 264 | 32 |

| 12.246.90.154 - 5 | 1014 | 972 | 0 | 42 | 278 | 36 |

| ae1-br01-eqch2.as57976. net - 5 | 976 | 936 | 0 | 208 | 3975 | 32 |

| et-0-0-0-pe01-eqch2.as57976. net - 5 | 1005 | 962 | 29 | 40 | 264 | 32 |

| 24.105.62.129 - 5 | 1009 | 967 | 30 | 38 | 265 | 36 |

|____________|||||||

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

I put a space in all the links to allow me to post this. (".net") The outlier is clearly the ae1 address. This was from a 15 minute game where I disconnected 10 times, the last one being right at the conclusion of the game, which then denied me the XP and didn’t register my “first win of the day.”

Thank you for your reply!

I do see issues right at the beginning of the MTR and they continue on from there. Are you by chance using a wireless connection? If you are using a wireless connection, try using a wired connection to see if you latency issues improve.

If you are still having issues, please try the steps in the article.

Heroes of the Storm Connection Problems

I am using a wireless connection and I’m not in a position to use a wired one. However, the day after I posted this, I logged back in and played several games that proceeded without incident. It was like a switch had been thrown. No disconnections at all; not even the half second occurrences that I usually get and have gotten almost since I started playing Heroes. I’ve played for the last two days, BUT I’m now getting those small interruptions again. It’s as if I’m slipping back into whatever state it was in. I haven’t had any long disconnects that prompted me to post this, but now I’m just waiting for it to recur.

On the wireless issue: I’ve played several other Blizzard games over this same connection and had zero problem. But the minor problem that I’ve been able to live with (I don’t play much ladder these days) has been constant over three different Internet service providers and two different computers.

Hey, Jackwraith! Thank you for the details and connection test. As mentioned before, there is some major concerns with the home network here.

There is a 2% packet loss on the home network, with the worst latency spiking up to 552ms. After it leaves the home network, there’s a consistent 5% loss throughout the test. It’s possible with this briefly stopping for a bit the connection might be throttling as the ISP is trying to keep up with the traffic. If this seems to be happening during specific hours, this could be what’s causing the disconnections. Other than this, mitigation could be the issue.

Some of the basics like resetting the network devices should have helped with any caching issues causing this problem. If it seems like mitigation may be the cause, it can help to check for the following settings and see if toggling them may help.

• QoS (Quality of Service)
  • WMM (Wireless Multimedia)
  • UPnP (Universal Plug and Play)

For most situations, we advise to disable it, but if you have a netgear router it may help to enable it instead. The settings for these can vary from depending on the device model. It’s not something that we help with directly because the settings and locations can vary. The router manufacturer or Internet Service Provider (if the router/modem was provided by them) can help look for these settings.

If the problem continues, it’s recommended to contact the ISP to check out the connection routing since throttling or configuration would be the main concerns based on the test.