Choppy graphics and freezes for months on Macbook Pro 2018

Hello guys,

So months ago when I tried HOTS on my 2018 Macbook it was choppy and occasionally froze mid-match for a second or two and I could never get it fixed. Stopped playing for months. Now months later after updating HOTS and my Mac to Catalina, it looks like nothing has changed and I can’t for the life of me figure it out. When I’m playing the gameplay is choppy, and sometimes it just freezes for a second or two in big battles. The choppiness and freezes I think happen more often when other players are on the screen or complex battles happen.

Here’s my system:

• 15" Macbook Pro 2018
  • 16GB Ram
  • 2.6Ghz Intel i7
  • Dedicated graphics - Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
  • Integrated graphics - Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
  • Using external DELL U3415W Display that is 34"
  • Using WiFi

Here’s is what I’ve tried that has made NO difference:

1. Closed all programs except HOTS
  2. Steadily lowered all graphic settings until on lowest
  3. Uninstalled / reinstalled HOTS several times.
  4. Upgraded to a brand new Nighthawk gaming router
  5. Checked forum posts
  6. Reset in-game options
  7. Conducted an Apple Hardware Test and it said “No Issues Found”

So none of the items above made any difference. On low, it may have been a touch better but I’m not sure, still seems pretty bad. Also I did try running the game on a four year old Alienware when I first saw this problem months ago that now is gone and HOTS worked fine on that despite having worse specs then my Macbook.

It’s strange to me that a 16GB ram Macbook from 2018 with dedicated graphics that does great with everything else, can’t even run the game on low graphic settings. Other games work just fine. Also the issue is that same it had several months ago so all the patches since then did not fix it.

Whatever you can do to help is GREATLY appreciated. HOTS is one of the few games I play when I occasionally game. I’m willing to run any diagnostic I need to fix this.

Many thanks,

Gabe
------- UPDATE -------
07-25-20 - Ok so I can’t believe it as I hadn’t thought to do this but I unplugged the external monitor and it solved the problem about 30-40% I would say. Anyone know now what settings I can use to get it to work with the monitor?

1 Like

I have almost identical specs and I also experience choppy gameplay with unplayable team fights. I don’t use an external monitor. However, some weeks it runs perfectly and it seems inline with updating my mac. Have you noticed whether your game runs better or worse after updates?