(CDC7) Spyro The Young Dragon

Role-Melee Bruiser with a hit and run style that has a second health bar restored by collecting Butterflies (cough) I mean Health Globes.

Lore- Spyro is a small dragon from the faraway lands of the dragon realms with his best friend Sparks the dragonfly they’ve been on many adventures… and reboots. Regardless they’ve found themselves a place in many of our childhoods and are probably the only Activision crossover character that wouldn’t start a massive panic.

Trait-Sparxs- Sparxs has a separate health bar equal to about half of Spyros health, Sparxs absorbs all hero damage (not minion, merc or tower) that Spyro takes until Sparxs runs out of health. Sparks can be revived by collecting 3 health globes. 2 Health globes can be collected in advance of Sparxs next life, Sparxs cannot be healed by allied heroes. Sparxs health and globe count can be seen ware Spyros mana would be.

Q-Breath Attack-Chosen at tier 1

W-Wing Jump- Spyro Jumps in the air ignoring unit collison for .75 seconds. 6 second cooldown.

W2-Glide-If Spyro cast Wing Jump while Charging he will glide at the speed he jumped at ignoring walls and unit collision for 1-4 seconds depending on how fast he was moving. Spyro will be kocked back and stunned for .5 seconds if he wouldnot be able to finish crossing a wall by the end of the glide. Spyro cannot turn while Gliding but he can end it early by pressing W.

E-Charge-Spyro Charges forward picking up speed over the course of 3 seconds (starts at 100% speed maxes out at at 160%) Spyro can keep charging at this speed as long as he dosent hit a wall or enemy hero. if Spyro is moving at least 130% speed when he hits an enemy hero they are both pushes back 1.5 units, Spyro is stunned for .5 seconds while the enemy hero is stunned for 1.25 seconds and takes 300 damage. Spyro is also stuned and knocked back if he hits a wall. (this controls like Dvas Q) 8 second cooldown.

R1-The Dragons Breath- Spyro charges up his selected Breath attack increasing its damage, size and effect to triple its original value over 3 second. (note this does not increase the width of the dragons breath) 60 second cooldown

R2-Sky Dive- While Spyro is in the air with Wing Jump or Glide he can drop down knocking enemies within 3 units of him back and dealing 100 damge. If there is an enemy directly underneath Spyro they will be stunned for 1.5 seconds and take 300 damage. 35 second cooldown.

Edit: Turned Elemental Breath into the Tier 1 talents and gave Spyro a new Heroic to replace it.

Tier 1 all abilities

Q-Fire Breath- Spyro blasts fire 2.5 units forward in a 80 degree cone dealing 240 damage.

Q-Lightning Breath- Spyro blasts lightning 4 units forward in a 40 degree cone dealing 190 damage.

Q-Ice Breath- Spyro blasts snow 2.5 units forward in a 80 degree cone dealing 190 damage and apply a 25% slow for 3 seconds.

Q-Earth Breath- Spyro blasts green rocks 2. units forward in a 120 degree cone dealing 150 damage and lowering enemies healing by 25% for 3 seconds. Allied heroes caught in this attack will receive 25% increased healing.

Tier 2

Momentum- After reaching 160% speed Spyro becomes unstoppable until his speed is lowered.

Sparxs Appetite- toggle- While active Sparxs will seek out health globes within 4 units of Spyro.

That Last Bit of Air- Instead of canceling Glide when Spyro reactivates Wing Jump he performs another Wing Jump.

Avalar Soil-Requires Earth Breath-If Spyro or Sparxs pick up a health Globe less than 3 seconds after using Earth Breath it will leave a seprate health globe that can be picked up by other allied heroes, noly heals 1 person but is useful for helping clear collection quests.

Tier 3

Anti-magic Scales- every 15 seconds, Spyro gains a stack of Anti-magic Scales witch reduces the next spell damage that Spyro (not Sparks) takes by 40%.

Sparks Exclusive Stage-Sparxs will auto attack nearby enemies (prioritized by closest minions, mercs, heroes, than bosses) for 50% of Spyros attack damage. Sparxs can also attack enemies while collecting a health globe with his Talent Sparks appetite.

Headaches- After Spyro hits an enemy hero or a wall with Charge, Spyro (not Sparks) and the enemy hero have there armor lowered by 20% for 3 seconds.

Nexus Speedway- Requires Lightning Breathg- Spyro can activate Lightning Breath while Gliding to reset his glider timer, however this buts his Lightning breath on its cooldown when he lands.

Tier 5

Enter The Dragonfly- After reviving Sparxs, Spyros next breath attack will deal double damage.

Speedrunning Trick- after hearthing Spyro will enter a full speed Charge for 5 seconds the next time he leaves the alter.

A Satisfing Meal- Health globes now also heal sparxs by health globes for 3 times there original amount. (this effect is reduced to double if Best Friends for Life is Taken)

Icy Flight-Requires Ice Breath- Activating Wing Jump less than 3 second after activiating Ice Breath will give all enemy heroes within 2.5 units a 15% slow lasting for 4 seconds.

Tier 6

Booster Pad- ability- Place a booster pad on the ground lasting until spyro runs through it or another is placed, takes 8 second to activate. Running through the booster pad in the direction its facing sends Spyro into a cooldown free Charge. 40 second cooldown.

Wind Geyser- When Spyro uses Wing Jump he now goes much higher in the air and gains and additional 30% vision and can see over walls for the duration of Wing Jump. However this increases Wing Jumps cooldown by 3 seconds.

Sparx Determination- killing enemy heroes will count as gaining a healing globe for Sparx.

Reignited Charge-Requires Fire Breath-If Spyro activates Charge less than 3 seconds after Charge than at 160% he will deal an additional 15% of his and the enemy Heroes Max health.

Tier7

A New Beginning-Reselect your first talent once, this effects Dragons Breath and will swap out any Breath related talents as well. (this means you can technically have 2 talents in 1 Tier)

50% Effort-Skydive no longer has a cooldown but also no longer damages enemies outside of the 1 underneath Spyro.

Best Friends for Life- Sparxs no longer has a separate Health bar but instead half of his health is now Spyros. From this point on every time They collect 3 health globes their health and basic attack damage is increased by 2% they also gain the 2% for every 3 health globes they previously collected.

3 Likes

Just saying, good concept, but this cant be added since he’s not ANY of the Blizzard games(Activision dont count).

Just call him “Spyrygos, the Blue Dragon” :stuck_out_tongue:

anyway, interesting concept, I like it.

Good skin. Myabe you can change it or rename him to a Drake. An idea is the Chromattus, a five-headed Chromatic Dragon. Each head is literally a different flight.

1 Like

Just hitting this up for contest purposes in case you change your mind (and if you missed Bliztron’s post too): This concept definitely falls within the bounds of the CDC contest so it’s a fine submission. On top of that, I think it matches the contest theme better than the new concept you put together to replace it. If you do decide to switch it back (which I’d encourage), make sure you do so before the deadline coming up soon!

2 Likes

I like the idea of throwing Activision characters in the mix, I’d be so down for the Skylanders to show up… but probably not gonna happen

Total Score - 16/20

Just FYI, you’ve left the “no longer CDC” note on the bottom of your concept. Might want to edit that out :stuck_out_tongue:

Creativity - 4/5
There are definitely lots of creative elements in this kit, from the second healthbar to Charge and how it interacts with Wing Jump. Elemental Breaths does feel a little bland in terms of effect (Ice Breath’s slow feels overtuned, and Earth Breath’s knockback seems somewhat counterintuitive since Spyro is knocking people out of it’s damage). Fire Breath is also a little boring, but not bad.

Cohesiveness - 4/5
Spyro’s abilities generally work together in interesting ways. The interaction between Wing Jump and Charge is neat, and Charge can set up for Fire Breath nicely. The trait does feel a little bit isolated, though; maybe his other abilities can have varying effects based on whether Sparks is active or not.

Thematic - 4/5
This concept is a very good adaptation of a 3D platformer character to a MOBA kit, and from what I know of Spyro (I haven’t played many of his games) the kit fits him well. As for the game changer theme, I really like the idea of 3rd party characters showing up in the game (obviously, in more limited amounts like how Nexus originals will work; the core of the game is still a Blizzard hero battler). While that is game changing, it does feel a little light for the contest theme; besides being 3rd party, Spyro doesn’t do much else that is brand new.

Interaction - 4/5
The kit is generally balanced; nothing would be obnoxious for his team, and nothing feels too lacking in counterplay. However, the damage of Charge might be a little overtuned, some of the Elemental Breaths have problems (as noted under Creativity), and Sky Dive’s direct hit effect feels too strong especially for its cooldown.

Overall Score

Creativity - 5/5

Cohesiveness - 4/5

Thematic - 5/5

Interaction - 5/5

Total - 19/20

Creativity - 5/5

I really enjoy the design’s creativity! Every ability has its own quirks and unique attributes, and the talents all feel fresh and interesting as well. I particularly like the idea of Sparxs being an additional health bar, similarly to Fenix’s shield in many ways. I think the choose your Q ability is okay how it is, though I think the fire and lightning breaths could use a little bit more difference between them. His first heroic also seems a bit boring, and I think you could add something more to it.

Cohesiveness - 4/5

The concept definitely has some good cohesive cores to it, with the Glide mechanic from his W, the Q combo talents, talents such as Enter the Dragonfly, and similar effects. One of my concerns is that I think switching your level 1 talent, your breath, is just a little too difficult. I think that the restrictions placed on his breath contribute to something of an anti-cohesiveness; I think making his level 20 talent that lets him change it should be more than a 1 time thing. I really like the Sparxs talent line, but besides that and the elemental charge buff talents, there seems to be a distinct dissonance amongst the talents. It would be nice to see some more build paths defined. Also, is Enter the Dragonfly useless when Spyro takes Best Friends for Life?

Thematic - 5/5

I’m not of the opinion that other companies’ characters should make it into the game, but regardless of personal opinion, the introduction of a different company’s character into HotS would definitely be a gamechanger. I think the abilities fit Spyro very well, pretty much perfectly capturing his gameplay in his native games.

Interaction - 5/5

While the character can definitely be countered by applying pressure on health globes, dodging his Charge, stunning him during Glide, and other such things, I think his Breath might be a bit too easy to poke enemies with. Other than that, everything seems good.

Creativity - 4/5

I think this is a very good, creative take on adapting Spyro into a MOBA setting. The talents have some especially cool options among them, such as Avalar Soil. While Lightning Breath feels too similar to Fire Breath, and his First Heroic is a little underwhelming in this category, they’re certainly not enough to detract from the overall score. However, the lack of anything for Week 3 flavor does mean I’m still going to dock a point.

Cohesiveness - 4/5

While there is a good bit of cohesion present with both his base kit and talents, I will also use Cohesion as the place to mention Spyro’s New Beginning talent. It feels uneccessarily restrictive to prevent more than one change, which, combined with a bit of anti-synergy present within specific talent choices, contribute to the docked point.

Thematic - 5/5

The kit is very reminiscent of Spyro, and really feels fitting to him as a character. In addition, the fact that he stands as an Activision(among others) owned character, not Blizzard, feels fitting enough as a gamechanger to me.

Interaction - 5/5

Nothing here looks at all problematic to fight against or to fight with. While a character with decent poke and a lack of resource can be particularly frustrating to fight against, I don’t think it’s too large of an issue with this kit.

Overall Score

Creativity - 4/5
Cohesiveness - 4/5
Thematic - 5/5
Interaction - 5/5

Total - 18/20

Additional Notes

Still glad to see you changed back to Spyro. (^_^)

Don’t ruin blizzard games.

I think it’s better as a BW skin

For all we know, this kit could work for a yet to be known WoW welp and his firefly buddy (think of Lunara, she wasn’t known prior to her release). In my opinion, Pdunz really did nice job with this kit, it really doesn’t deserve such comments. :smiley:

1 Like

Pdunz - 83/100

Creativity: 7/10
Cohesiveness: 8/10
Thematic: 10/10
Interaction: 9/10
Incomplete Submission: -5
(+0 Thoughtfulness, +0 Game Fluidity)