Bnet app daily updating

Is anyone else having the issue where everytime you open bnet and want to play hots the game has to first update? Its been really annoying me and no matter what I do I can’t get it to stop. I remember a while back there being a notification from blizz that they were aware of this being an issue…but it seems it never got resolved.

3 Likes

got the same problem

Hey everyone,

The update loop that’s happening with each time the Battle.net application starts may be due to a permissions issue. Basically it’s looking for info and can’t find or access it, thus making it try to download it again. The folder responsible for it is typically in the documents area. I’m not sure if this is for the PC or Mac version of the game so I’m including steps to fix this for both:

Windows

1. Navigate to your Documents Folder
  2. Right click on Heroes of the Storm and go to the Security tab
  3. Click Edit
  4. Ensure that “Full Control” is checked for your user account and the Administrators group
  5. Click OK to save any permission changes

Mac

1. Open finder, or go to folder option in menu (or Shift+command+G)
  2. type or copy/paste the following: ~/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/
  3. Look for the “Heroes of the Storm” folder
  4. Choose File > Get Info >
  5. Expand the Sharing and Permissions section by clicking the arrow
  6. If the lock at the bottom right is locked, click it to unlock the Get Info options, then enter an administrator name and password.
  7. Click on each user or group in the Name column, then choose the Read & Write setting from the pop-up menu.
  8. Use small circle with dots to apply that permissions to all enclosed items. This article from Apple also can help explain all this.

Hopefully this helps out. Cheers!

It already has full control for both. Yet its still trying to update lol.

5 Likes

I still have the same battle.net asking to update HoTs even though your colleague moderator locked the other main thread saying this has been fixed. It has NOT been fixed.

I have followed all the steps mentioned above. The Heroes of the Storm folder from the Documents Folder, has full control on both user account and Administrator in the Security tab.
I have also followed the steps in this thread here: [Main Thread] Log in as administrator / Update loop - #61 by Jambrix
I’ve done TWICE the steps mentioned here in this post and I have EVEN deleted everything related to battle.net and Heroes of the Storm off my PC and NOTHING FIXED IT.
I keep getting BOTH launcher updates every time I quit the game and 137MB of download every time I launch my game.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to tech support, but those work arounds don’t seem to work for anybody. The only way I can stop the download is by launching the straight from the HeroesSwitcher.exe. This workaround was provided by Hoku.

3 Likes

@Ironthorne any update on this? It is not fixed by following either your steps or the steps from the other main thread which is now locked.

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to pass on that the developers are looking into a cause of this specific issue with the 137MB download being prompted for. I’m afraid I don’t have anything beyond that such as an ETA for when a fix will be pushed.

The workaround I shared earlier is mostly in relation to that locked thread. I’m not entirely sure if these are related causes or if the workaround worked for the remnant cases relating to permissions. It was shared as working for other players for what sounded like the same symptom. If doing the workaround does not help however, then please keep an eye on the main thread for this specific problem here. We will post updates as we hear them.

Thanks everyone for the continued patience and understanding.

Okay thank you, I will use that workaround until things get fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.