Blaze's Bunker Drop

Is this ultimate still useful ? Or Combustion has surpassed it? I felt sad when my allies did not utilize it, plus the bunker is a double edge sword since people cant use their abilities(only the bunker’s) while inside it.

2 Likes

Bunker Drop is more useful with a coordinated team and knowledge of the map’s terrain. It’s harder to utilize. Combustion is generally what you use when you don’t have the coordination or reasons to use Bunker.

2 Likes

I usually spam my abilities if i expect to go in the bunker. So they’ll be on cool down anyway.

Yes it’s still good. It’s not the ability at fault if your team choses to stand outside of it and die. (Just like Medhiv’s portals)

3 Likes

So… should the bunker be positioned aggressively , or sometimes its just use to enter and come out to get armor?

I prefer to use the bunker as a way to dodge certain abilities and buff myself with armor, I can’t really rely on my allies going in it. Most of the time I pick Combustion anyways. It’s great for blocking certain tight corridors as well since it counts as terrain.

Usually you just use it when the fight is happening and you want to mitigate damage, especially when the enemy is pressing big buttons like last rites, pulse bomb, pyro, dragonblade and others. Just use it in the middle of a fight and it’s already a win.

And yeah, it is still the better heroic, even if people don’t use it. You can just play much more aggressive with it.

3 Likes

If the enemy has a lot of AoE an not much burst you can use it like that yes.

New Habits + Combustion = OP just saying.

Sleeper combo.

2 Likes

Bunker Drop is easily the defensive option. Delayed target spells like Malth, Kel’thuzad and Kael’thas ults can all be denied by a bunker. You can avoid strong area control on a timer such as Butcher Furnaces, Combustion (heh) and Shadow Fissure. You can evade strong damage periods like while Butcher Enrage is up, Misha’s powerup is active, or Morales or Ana stims.

But above all, Bunker is only gonna do you and your team good if it has things to reply to. Something like Jimmy or Thrall is probably more sustained than others and they rely less on their ults’ uptimes so they won’t have as much problem working around it, since they’ll be just as ready to deal damage before and during as after, unlike someone like Jaina who wants cooldowns (and effects) to be readily availed.

Plan the Bunker; it should be the reactive ult, while Combustion will punish enemies who need sustained uptime, Bunker will help more against bursty uptime.

In a worst case it’s defensive which can be better than Combustion if you’re behind and opportunities for the latter are limited.

My opinion? Yes.

The Bunker has a lot of pros and cons for both uses.

It has a short delay, and is used at Blaze’s location. And since he’s a tank, that’s often in front, where allies may have to put themselves at risk to get to it. They don’t want to get stuck in an aoe storm.
All of this makes it difficult for allies to utilize it outside of organized play.

But it only lasts 10 seconds, and the flamethrowers only shoot so far, so using it from a defensive position can be difficult as well.

I think it’s important to find the right balance given the situation.

Also at times (not too often, but sometimes) I’ve used it as a 2k+ health 10 second Force Wall that I can pass through. In the right place, 10 seconds is enough time to grab an objective (Cursed Hollow instantly comes to mind), and if they use abilities to burn through it quicker… you can think of your heroic as “set a chunk of the enemy team’s basic abilities on cooldown”
Which can be worth the 70 second cooldown, depending on the situation.

1 Like

I still never take combustion, all you really need to do to win fights is control space and you can control space better with bunker because it gives you an out if you get turned on quickly and then gives you more staying power deeper in the fight. Even if it’s just you using it. Yeah it’s great vs. DBlade and stuff as well if people pay attention to it.

Like all you need to do to win fights is (/ the situations you wanna be drafting him into are ones where you can win fights by) dropping oil underneath either the heroes who want to be following up on tank engages, or from keeping enemy tanks from getting to the position they want to engage from, or in anyone’s escape path who is too far forward that you can catch with W+E. Essentially W is everything, it’s your isolation ability, peel, and setup, and then E is just the hard-engage/hard-peel/disengage frosting. And almost never ignite your oil underneath enemy heroes unless you’re either last-ditch trying to secure a kill on someone far out of reach of anyone else on your team… or randomly if you need some AoE damage or healing and not a slow? for some reason? I mean it does happen rarely. But the W slow (+ the level 4 increased slow) are the strongest part of your kit.

So basically when that ^ is winning you fights, casting Combustion at all just becomes a waste of time. Bunker lets you do that ^^^ even more effectively than before, not to mention all the other utility it brings (blocking pathing, cleansing DoTs/effects like Last Rights, etc.) If you’re a god at landing big W+Es with the W trailing far into where the enemy needs to path… Maybe eventually an argument can be made for combustion but presently in the games I’m playing I don’t see Blaze needing to provide the damage. Maybe in hunkier teams with Earthquake and Mosh Pit/Apoc or something and some other… stuff, maybe combustion is good. I’m open to it.

1 Like

I think one question that should be mentioned here is, do people still pick Bunker’s level 20 talent? Almost all the time I pick Burn notice, I also hate how Blaze level 20s overall dont feel like…level 20, like he deserves more on that tier.

It’s something like Cain’s potions:

·KT pyroblast a friendly potatoe => bunker => potatoe evades bunker => BoOm!!!

·Incoming high damage area => bunker => potatoes run around bunker => BoOM!!! => “noob, you cut our getaway path”!!!

·etc, etc…

1 Like

For starters its better than the other option in all situations.

Almost every game

50 armor and more W’s? Blaze W is so good

1 Like

What about not coordinated teams like in QM? Do you still pick it? I ask this a lot because Blaze is my favorite tank but also the WORST I am I would say.

Yes, always bunker upgrade. More armor and throwing more Ws? It’s really good. You don’t share cooldown with bunker’s W, so you just make everyone on the battlefield get slowed, it’s pretty insane.

I’ll have to give it a try, though I dont expect my team to know what using “w” is.

Even if only you use it, it’s already very good. Someday someone will use it as well. I had a game a couple days ago where I was blaze solo lane. Everyone was using bunkers whenever I dropped them and it felt amazing :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Good to know my favourite R is still viable!
Slightly offtopic but should we be…careful not to ignite the oil? Likeintentionally not using Q on the Oil Spill? What about in the laning phase?