Baal, Unholy Trinity please

Every skill he uses in diablo 2 can fit perfectly in one hero.

Q - Shoot line of fire that burns mana
W - Summon a pair of tentacles from the ground at target location
E - Shoot foward arc of cold
R - Clone yourself temporarily, your clone does its own thing
R - Teeth, just like in cinematic, similar to kaels pyro-blast.

Give him a 1. teleport ability with long cooldown so all skills baal has ever done is there, plus an escape option.

Special passive : Every 5 of your wave minions from your core, a minion of destruction will spawn with them. Kind of a wave spawn mechanic like in d2.

I just want to play the unholy trinity in one game finally.

Also had the idea of a unique hero again. Baal just sits in base, and controls what spawns from the core, summon tentacles, corrupt health globes so they actually hurt the enemy and have his laugh happen the whole time.

Mana burn in HotS is a bad idea.

What’s unique about him then?

Mana burn is a unique idea, so. idk how it could be bad.

The talents is what makes them unique, never the core talent. Ever hero has a pretty basic setup so…
And another unique mechanic would be the wave spawn of him for a passive talent. Every 4 levels the minions get stronger, along with your talents

Because it’s not LoL or DotA 2. Only few heroes can increase their mana.

Talents can be the same, but the ability itself should be unique.

Hey, I don’t really want to hop on you, because I know that SMILE has a history of being a bit overly reductive and dismissive, but since they aren’t really giving you a good answer, I’ll toss in mine.

Mana burn doesn’t work in 3rd generation MOBA’s anymore; the games where you see it were designed to have it. In Warcraft III, you have multiple units, so you don’t instantly lose when you run out of mana. In DOTA 2, mana management is a major part of the game, and serves as a major counterbalance for their extremely powerful abilities; their basic attacks are also a much larger part of the gameplay. In games like League of Legends or Heroes of the Storm, mana burn doesn’t fit in the game. Look at all the hero conversions that had mana burn in their original games; they don’t have it in HotS because it doesn’t work in this game. That is why it is “unique”.

Some hero designers came onto the forums back a couple years ago to discuss this exact topic. They said that mana burn in this game is just less fun to fight than a silence. It has no effect immediately, but eventually it will just effectively “silence” you forever. It would be a poor inclusion to the game.

Anyways, hope that clarified up why mana burn is a bad idea. I agree that Baal should be added to the game (if we are ever going to get more Heroes of half-decent quality, that is), but just in a different form than the one presented.

To piggyback off Bliztron, here’s at least part of a recorded post from a former dev:

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/6ofcai/hots_developers_thought_on_mana_burn_ability_and/dkgwxaw/

Can we have somebody with mana burn spell?

MattVi / Senior Game Designer

Some other people have already touched on this, but I think Mana Burn would be very problematic in our game. It’s basically a very unresponsive Silence (as it can take several uses to eliminate the target’s mana pool), that lasts an impractically long time (likely 30+ seconds).

The result is that it feels extremely punishing for the enemy, and even the person doing the burning doesn’t feel like they had a big impact most of the time. I greatly prefer Silence to accomplish that goal because it’s really sharp and reliable (the moment I hit you, you’re locked out of spells), but also not punishing beyond that initial window (after a few seconds of Silence I can play my hero again) - at least assuming you weren’t killed during that time.

1 Like

Great idea friend, there are many things that the guys can explore in the attacks of this primeval