Artificial Intelligence

I just played a Ranked game where our Deathwing disconnected at 2:04 minutes into the game and never returned. The AI system proceeded to miss objectives and refused to cancel the Molten Flame cast when it ran in 1v4 or 1v5, allowing the enemy team to nuke the AI Deathwing. Over the course of the 16:37 game, Deathwing died 11 times.

ALL of us know the sorry state of the AI. That is not my intention with this post. We all understand that Blizzard hired that biologist to attempt to fix the priority assignments (good luck!).

Regardless of their attempt to fix the AI, my question is why are Ranked games allowed to continue on with the AI? Blizzard admits there’s an issue with the AI system considering they’re completely re-working it, yet they allow my Rank to rely upon the performance of such a horribly designed AI. My Rank depends upon the other 4 players on my team, regardless of my performance, and still the AI is allowed to die 11 times and miss objectives and get stuck in a loop of deciding which lane to clear vs the camp that’s near by, which in turn is responsible for my loss of Rank points if and when we lose the match.

It’s unacceptable. When I press Play to find a Ranked game, a few minutes pass by as an algorithm attempts to make the best match-up possible. When one player leaves, that algorithm that was used is no longer valid considering the match-up is now different than when it was first chosen.

If I wanted to play Ranked AI, I’d ask for that specific game mode. I want to play Ranked against actual players. I don’t care if the player is horrible, at least I can communicate with them and actually attempt to synergize with their Hero.

To conclude, I would rather play a game and exit safely with no penalty to ranked than play with a Deathwing that dies 11 times and runs in circles between lanes.

This happens more often than not, so clearly something is wrong and needs to be addressed.

1 Like

" awkwardly waits for a Dev response" HAHAHAHHAHAHGAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

. Ill b on the sidewalk kicking tiny rocks. Awkwardly . Waiting (wind blows)

The problems with ai have been a known issue for so long do you really think they will ever fix it?

Yes, the AI is horrible; that’s not in dispute.

The issue present pertains to why Blizzard thinks it’s acceptable to allow AI in Ranked play.

For the same reason they believe its ok to allow game throwers in ranked, They do not care.

2 Likes

Because there is no good alternative.

Cancelling the entire game the moment someone disconnects is not a viable solution. Even disregarding how disruptive it would be, it also allows for ridiculously easy rank manipulation. Just have a smurf in your party; Every time you’re about to lose a game, have the smurf disconnect so the game is cancelled and everyone else gets to leave with zero consequence. Behold, your entire party is now completely immune to rank loss.

1 Like

Add 20% loss forgiveness when someone doesn’t reconnect for 3+ minutes, problem solved.
Whoever disconnected pays extra 20% points.

Then if you want to improve the system you can replace this rudimentary placeholder.

No idea why it’s taking over 4 years to implement. First mentioned in 2016 by devs.

It feels mind-numbingly unfair to lose full points (and even gain a “your team favored” reduction) when you played 4v5 for twenty or more minutes.

1 Like