Artanis Heroics

Artanis is an ok hero. He doesn’t really excel at anything, but he’s not bottom feeder either. Survival can be problematic since he has no mobility, and his sustain is kind of clunky.

My biggest problem with him are his heroics. He’s the only character that I get to level 10 with, and sometimes don’t want either of the heroics I can pick.

Suppression pulse is a 4 seconds blind, which can certainly be good. But against a lot of comps it’s worthless.

Then you have purifier beam. I honestly think this heroic needs to be reworked. When P. Beam was designed. The hero roster was a LOT smaller. And there wasn’t nearly as much mobility as there is now. I mean, Valla’s vault was the hotness back then.

These days, you can be sped up by Lucio, go through a portal, dash/ blink away or just dodge it with passive movement buffs (Raynor dodges it just by right clicking somewhere with “Giddy up” and the reworked Chromie makes her whole team immune to it). It’s a dead pick really often.

Now, I understand when some characters are very powerful baseline, and bring so much value to their team that they get low impact or narrow/situational heroics to compensate. But Artanis is not that kind of hero.

4 Likes

I don’t know… I’m having a blast getting those quadruple/penta kills after level 20 with the beam :stuck_out_tongue:
In the worst case scenario - you remove one enemy from the fight, as they need to be running away from the beam, being useless during the fight.
It’s a solid pick, if the enemy doesn’t have Butcher/Zul’Jin/Illidan/Raynor/Varian, that you’d want to blind.

3 Likes

The enemy doesn’t have to be running away from you to avoid the beam though. They just have to keep moving.

4 Likes

Every hero has AA, even if it isn’t their primary mode of attack, and a lot more heroes are dependent on AAs for buffs, self-healing, or CDR on abilities. Suppression Pulse is rarely completely useless. For example, people do not think of Tyrande as an AA hero, but she loses a lot of healing in a team fight if she can’t get the CDR on her Q through AAs.

As far as beam goes, if they are running, they can’t cast, aim skillshots easily, or channel. It is perfect for most mages and healers, especially someone like Ana who has taken Eye of Horus.

It is also very important to note that both heroics are fully global, so even if he isn’t immediately in a fight, Artanis can have an impact. I have saved team mates with both of them, nuked an Abathur who was spotted elsewhere by an Apocalypse, and killed a keep with just a sliver of health from across the map with Pulse. If you use them creatively, you can get a lot of value.

16 Likes

I think most people overestimate a blind even against “non-aa” heroes. That can still be several thousand damage pervented if you land it on a teamfight, plus deaing minor damage.

I do think that beam could use something, probably on the movement speed side of things. Or perhaps having a secondary larger aoe where it deals light damage every tick?

But, beam does indeed close off some movement paths to the enemy, but it is not enough paths removed to be meaningful.

I would like the Devs to do something about his blind’s level 20 upgrade the CD between the two charges feels too long, fights are normally finished by the time I can use the second charge. One side or the others is dead or backing off and I have no need to use the the second charge other then to maybe snipe someone at 1 heath.

If the CD is going to be that big between charges it should do something worth the CD. Get rid of the second charge add the 10s on to the 50 making it a 60s CD then make Suppression Pulse silence and blind
Wham bam thank you ma’ma
It’s a suppression pulse, at 20 make it suppress yo!

As for P Bean (thats a funny one I’m using it from now on) P BEAM!
I don’t mind it and I wouldn’t rage if it got changed either. I’m pretty indifferent to it but it has some mad value while we have back to back one lane brawls nows and Artanis can p beam my one lane brawl any day …er I mean-
what were we talking about?

I’ll be blunt, I think Purifier Beam should match a % of the enemy’s movement speed. If they use a speed boost, PB would match 80% of that boost.

that’s a really good fix, overall, to be honest. presumably with a min MS of 80% (so it doesn’t get nerfed against d.va and slowed heroes)

Was spamming my druid and just thought about what sunfire does P.Beam should do what Sunfire dose and thats target all nearby! 5 beams just blazing on faces please and thanks.
Sure they might have to reduce it’s damage but at level 20: On kills it resets with two less beams each time but it’s strength grows until the remaining beam is as strong as it is now live at 20.

Gul’Dan’s fear eat your heart out it would be the ultimate displacement…Ultimate!
how about if a team gets suck in Zarya’s or ETC’s ult? What a fireworks show
(daydreams) (^v^)

I don’t really like that idea, as if you are looking to get kills with Beam, you should be comboing it with slows and roots. Warp Sickness at 7 can make the Beam deadly without having to rely on team mates.

4 Likes

That change is boring anyway! No pazzaz what so ever!
If you want to wow wow we wow the people got to go big or go home! I vote five fantastic beams to five frantic faces fiasco! or the FFBFFFF!

Or Beam ON apply directly to five foreheads!

What if they have a Samuro? Or Rexxar? Or Nova?

The plot thickens!
Well the max will be up to 5 and there you go a nice counter to it since you only get to pick one target that the one beam will land on for sure while the other beams hit random nearest
At worst it’s only displacing one person cause everyone else is soo spread out.

Even then initiate it on someone not near a clone or rexxar’s bear but close to another teammate and you can work around the work around.

I like abilities with counters but you still have a chance to counter the counter with some smart targeting.

I think you wanted to use the word "UNDER estimate. However, I don’t see how non- AA heroes could deal several thousands of damage in 4 seconds. Most actual AA heroes can’t manage that. Care to explain?

If you’re looking to combo on roots and slows. Most other heroics will deal more damage. So picking Artanis is actually detrimental for that purpose.

I knew that was coming. And I consider that a strike against P beam.

Other heroes don’t need a specific talent to give value to their heroics. Artanis shouldn’t either. The game shouldn’t force me to pick a specific talent so my heroic doesn’t suck.

1 Like

That isn’t true. More heroics require combos or other talents to be deadly. Very few heroics are likely kills on their own. Dismissing the disruption potential of Purifier Beam on its own is shortsighted, and ignoring the fact that unlike the vast majority of heroics, it is fully global is missing one of the things that make it incredibly strong.

7 Likes

yes. i derped hard there.

if you land it in a teamfight, given it’s AOE I’m assuming you’re hitting 4-5 people.

Feel free to throw me a roster and I’ll check their aa damage output at level 10 and 20. Which can be looked at as .5 and .75 of the total, to account for movement and casting times, for how much damage prevented against “non-aa” teams.

Not saying it is good against them, but it isn’t the end of the world.

Blind is OP against auto attack comps. Otherwise take beam. Beam always works since it forces the target to move which gives it zoning potential. It also is especially strong against heroes that rely on stationary channelling such as Guldan or Whitemane.

Now imagine if you comboed something OTHER than purifier beam…

And no., Most heroics don’t require talents to be useful. Diablo’s Lightning breath slows AND damages multiple targets by itself. No talent required.

Cumbustion? No talent requried.
Bunker? Same
Carrion swarm? Same
Entomb? Same
Adaptation? same.

I’m not sure which talents you’re referring to. Most heroics are just pick and get value.

It will only work on Gul Dan if he has no health left. Otherwise, he will just stutter between casts as usual. And At level 20, demonic circle completely counters it.

1 Like

I said kill, not be useful. Purifier Beam is useful, even if it isn’t a guaranteed kill.

5 Likes

I agree with you that Artanis’s heroic is kinda lackluster. There were many time I am not really looking forward for Lv10 as Artanis. People also exaggerate the might of the blind on AA composition. Any slightly competent player that got hit blind would just move their hero away or use their ability to buy time until the blind duration is over instead of standing there and auto-attacking like an idiot so Artanis can hack and slash them to death.

As for Lv10 Purifier Beam, i found the best way to use it just to use on the tank that hitting you. Not the greatest way to use it but at least you can hope that fasten the process to take down the tank than relying on your basic attack and Twin Blade. Casting Lv10 Purifier Beam on the squish heroes are just a waste of time as just other said in this thread, you just need to move around at minimum effort to dodge the Purifier Beam completely. Lv10 Purifier Beam is not even a good for zoning tool as some people told me in the past.

Lv20 Purifier Beam is certainly awesome upgrade but it takes too long to reach there.

and yes, Lv20 Orbital Bombardment shouldn’t have a cooldown for 2nd cast. With this, maybe AA heroes would actually “fear” Artanis for real at late game.

You are wasting time on Hoku. You can have a Purifer Beam that doesn’t move or chase for 8 seconds, he will still find a way to defend that heroic. For example, “You could just Q+E swap the enemy to the standstill Purifier Beam, so yeah, please git gud”.

1 Like