Another Excellent Matchmaking

Posting this here as a reminiscent of the terrible matchmaking on QM system we’ll soon forget(hopefully). This is immortal map, and teams are:
Opponent
Rexxar, Artanis, Malganis, Malfurion, Jaina
Us
Sgt Hammer, Raynor, Varian, Slyvanas, Auriel.

1 Like

You had a pretty good advantage.

Somehow i really fail to see what your problem is.

I only see the classic attitude of bad players:
“If you lose, blame matchmaking.”

4 Likes

I blame matchmaking when I lose vs AI.

So you got one free win, it’s bound to happen every once in a while. You have draft modes if you want more even better quality games.

I don’t know where do I start. You assume everyone can keep their distances and avoid their initiations but that’s not how it works during a narrow map objective. Varian’s taunt can only sustain the team so far. He is not a Diablo or Garrosh who can isolate a member from the enemy team. We lacked the necessary CC and frontlines. Assume the fact that all the time, they’re pushing towards your team. The question is will your combined damage(and there won’t be a combined damage because most of the time, we stay scattered) make short work of whichever frontline of theirs approach first? Turned out it won’t. All they had to do is to push forward all the time with Bear and Artanis to catch someone off guard. This is QM, so you can’t expect everyone to dodge every single initiation the opponent throws at them. An Artanis means I (sgt hammer) have to keep my sieges brief to avoid getting pulled. If I use my unstoppable for his prism, this will leave me vulnerable for jaina combo or rexxar bear. In order for Auriel to heal, you need a reliable source of damage. Since it’s very difficult to do that without risking yourself into their CC follow up, Auriel ends up with no heal charge most of the time. You see, the matter is not that we had a strong poke&wave clear and disruption. We lacked the necessary meat wall and disables. This whole anomaly could be set right by swapping Slyvanas with Artanis. I don’t know if they were premades but thankfully, devs are coming up with a balanced matchmaking system after years.

1 Like

I was hoping this thread was going to be about the game where we came back with 11% core vs. 0 structure kills - the other team royally pissed that game away.

Yup miracles happen. Recently we pulled off a game from 3% core. They’re distinctly fun I admit. :smiley:

1 Like

OUR TEAM
Arthas, ana, hammer, valla, guldan
ENEMY TEAM
Chogall, auriel, zagara, malganis.

mm garbage

2 Likes

All you had to do was single target focus a target and kite back which shouldn’t be hard given how much disengage your team has.

So you raynor and Auriel all missed your disengages? Sounds l2p problem to me.

You had both unstoppable and knockback to easily negate that. You know which one to use based on enemy position. If you’re in position where you don’t see Jaina you are mispositioned given the comp making W the obvious choice. Misha doesn’t matter one bit if she uses her short stun on you

You have Sylvanas who is one of best batteries in the game with overall damage she deals with her daggers combined with her ranged damage and mobility. Hammer provides steadfast energy source. You also have insane disengage with all the knockbacks making it next to impossible for enemy to ever engage properly.

1 Like

You open a thread blaming the matchmaking (since the title), then everybody told you that you’re just talking nonsense and you start a discussion about the interaction between the two comps, like none except you could see how it was clear that you were on the losing side because of the comps (impossible that your team had the worst players, never even consider that because you were there).

Probably people should just l2p instead of blaming the game everytime they are not on the winning side.
Everyone knows that the MM is pretty bad actually (in QM more than ever) and sometimes it leads to some awful and unfun stomp but that’s not an excuse to point at it for every single lost game and this match of which you are talking about is a good example of that: both team are pretty good for a QM game, so those who had the best coordination and skill won. MM has done its job in putting those comps up this time, everything else is on the players.

As I uttered before, it’s a narrow map objective with lots of fog of war. Raynor’s banshee and my mines help indeed. But once they get combo going, there is no disengaging. That’s the part you ignore. I don’t expect everyone in QM to do their jobs well and most of the time they don’t. It’s a casual game mod where all kinds of skill are involved unlike ranked. The strategy you suggest can’t be implemented with everyone. 5 random strangers with all expectations and gameplays of their own, there is a high chance you’ll end up winning fights not due to the skill of the player but due to the potential of the hero. Another thing that puts us to disadvantage is that Malfurion is a better support for frequent harass&disengage plays. For us to melt a single target quickly, we need to keep it in our vision and thwart their CC attempts at the same time. Long story short, for you it’s easier said than done.

That’s not what I implied. I know how to stop a dashing Artanis with Concussion Blast and counter his prism with my Neosteel Plating. My point is why do you put a particular team through this suffering? As all sorts of players with different skillsets can be in your team, why do you force them to play dodgeball? I’m not saying there shouldn’t be any CC on the opponent team, just not this whole bunch. An equal, balanced distribution of heroes is all I ask. I don’t see it necessary to complain about l2p problems since it is something that can’t be solved. And it’s natural for someone in your team not to their job well if it’s a game mode like QM. If I lost this game with Malganis or Artanis in my team instead of Raynor or Slyvanas, there would be nothing I could complain about.

Yes, and Raynor’s Banshee with careful usage and Hammer’s Napalm and bla. It doesn’t matter because we stand our ground, they can tank us until one of us dies. It’s not like all 5 of them are going to invite themselves from the front door and we will hurl everything in our storage and expect one of them to die or back down.

Everybody found my opinion flawed and should I immediately settle with the opinions of people who can barely simulate the given situation in their heads favoring the odds with the losing team and expecting the best potential? I have no complaints about the capabilities of the players in my team. It’s not a matter of they didn’t play well enough. They had to adapt to a situation like this and even if they were good at a particular build with their hereos in general, it’s not a guarantee they’ll perform well. This could be the other way around I’m well aware. All those 3 bruisers&tanks on the opponent could underperform and make the game very easy for us which probably wouldn’t propel me to create this post. The reason I lost this match may not be %100 from the distribution of the heroes but it has a fair contribution. And this bothers me, and many other players to a certain extent.

Your idea is simply to promote people to perform better, combine their abilities to squeeze the best results which is I agree. Even though our team composition was decent, it wasn’t thoroughly on par with the opponent’s line up. This is my complaint and suggesting people to l2p is not fruitful, because some people are content with the amount they perform. To conclude all the zerg rush against this post, I suggest creating another QM branch called Chaos Mode where more random things can happen. Then you can put your l2p theories to better test.

1 Like

You had three knockbacks in Auriel, Raynor, and Sgt Hammer. Artanis isn’t unstoppable during his Blade Dash (the first part of his godswap combo), so if your team was getting swapped, that means you weren’t saving them to counter his isolation attempts.

As an Artanis main, I know well the pain of having a perfect initiation ruined by the Angel of Hope’s dope rope of nope.

2 Likes

Read further through my responds and you’ll see I know how your ability works as a Hammer main.

And my point was your team had a bunch of counters for Artanis, especially if Auriel took the blind on her Q, that he should have been a non-issue for you. It isn’t even dodgeball, it is “piss off, protoss”.

1 Like

I’d pick your team 10 times out of 10, I consider that match heavily favored to your team.
-You easily win the race. You could even leave Hammer or Sylv to push during the objective and still win race 4 vs 5, the macro opportunities were heavily favored to you.
-You have whole bunch of disengage great vs melee which enemy mostly consists of
-You have Varian that denies shields from both Artanis and Jaina
-Enemy lacked poke which favored your healer

I’m sorry but you’d have to misplay that comp super bad to lose. That was your game to throw and you did just that if you lost.

1 Like

I don’t know whether she picked that talent or not, and what I stress out here is not the fact that this line up had the potential to win with the right talents and play styles. You can’t expect everyone to be reactive to the situation and play their game accordingly. There is a place you do that, and it’s called Ranked Play. I won matches with a stupid comp such as Aba, Murky, Lost Vikings, Ana and with 1 other squishy hero. Anything is possible with the right build up, cooperation and talent trees. Probability is not my concern, enjoyability is.

What? Of course they should, QM or ranked. That is pretty much how the game is designed. If I go full AA/W build on Artanis against a blind comp, even though I find it fun to play, it is 100% on me if I find myself to be completely ineffective that match.

1 Like

Well, not that I’m inclined to think our team comp was better, then there is still an inbalance in the MM if matchmaking favored us more. Of course even certain Heroes in Warrior class is superior than one another and even if a team is comprised of 1 Warrior, 1 Bruiser, 1 Healer, 1 Support and 1 Melee/Ranged Assasin, there may still be balance issues but not at this level.

Most of the time when you play a hero, you fit yourself into a role. A rexxar can’t hold Slyvanas alone so to defend that lane he would go with an Artanis or preferably with someone more. If it had been a 3-lane map, the strategy you suggest could have been easier to execute since that would split them up and make it easier to retrieve the objective. Raynor and Slyvanas are 2 heroes from the top 10 highest dps against Non-Hero targets and they could melt their immortal. But once somebody gets caught, things start to veer south fast. In QM, due to low morale, people might just sit until the enemy finishes the objective and ping you to retreat from sieging the towers with 1 person in your team already dead and enemy team has the talent advantage. While they should for example start camps or go to the other lane to soak or damage the immortal (if it’s closer to our gate) they idle and enemy team starts rushing on you. You can escape if you dodge the initations and your fort is up. Yeah it’s about the players in my team maybe but rather than expecting them to perform above average during these moments, I’d rather do a team fight with the fair chance of losing and winning.

I skipped myself as Hammer to have the high chance to be pulled by Artanis prism, but when a member of your team is caught, malfurion root will ensure that guy won’t move away. He gets low and let’s say Auriel was in range and casted her Stasis and has a good healing charge, Artanis didn’t take his blind (which suprised me) and took the other ulti and casts it on me to discourage me from sieging since he knows it’s futile to try his combo on me most of the time. So during 1 person is in the combo, I have to wait for the ulti to wear out, Varian has to endure their combined efforts along with the guy Auriel put in Stasis and let’s say she is Slyvanas and made it out with her E but being pursued. And Raynor is trying to attack the closest hero to him, which would probably be Malganis who is infamous for raping the backline. That’s how it plays out most of the time. There are a lot of things that can be done to prevent this outcome but it’s not a job for 1 person. And let’s accept this as a fact, CCs are the strongest of all abilities since it ensures a few seconds of constant rain of damage on the target.

He has that, but the game ended rather quickly and he couldn’t put it to good use after 13 because of the level gap.

It’s not like we have li-ming, chromie or junkrat kind of poke on the team. Most of our abilities and attacks oblige us to stay close and have vision to continue to damage.

We misplayed alright, but not super badly. And from the certainty you speak with, I wish you were there playing with me to prove me otherwise. It’s not that I put the blame on the players on my team, it was overall a hard play and even harder to imagine.

You’ll find no sympathy here, this place is full of trolls. Yours was an uphill battle and if the enemy was somehow competent (which they were apparently) there was no way you guys could win with that comp. All they had to do was to get a good prism swap and that player was done. Heck, you didn’t have a way to get to their backline. Oh, I almost forgot: good luck trying to siege for more than 2 seconds.

1 Like