An unexpected fatal error occurred

Hello,

I am currently unable to play heroes of the storm and starcraft II in my computer. When I get to press the play button, the game immediately sends me back and says an unexpected fatal error occurred.

Could you help me, please?

453C273E-ED55-4AF4-AFEF-D09F5680B642

Someone else is reporting a similar issue.

Make sure your Windows OS is up to date, specifically the 2018 Fall update if using Windows 10.

Also, if using NVidia, make sure your NVidia drivers are up to date with a clean install. If still does not work try drivers from 2-3 months ago as some of the recent driver versions have had bugs. If not using NVidia (using AMD or Intel) make sure that the graphic drivers are up to date since they are not suffering from this problem as far as I am aware.

Thanks for the help!

However, I did try that, but it appears it doesn’t work… I’m using Nvidia and my PC is a Windows 8.1 by the way.

Hey there Nintales,

I looked up the crash code and it appears that this may be a problem between Heroes of the Storm and the Battle.net app. Lets try reinstalling the Battle.net app and clearing out a few hidden folders to see if that helps.

First, remove the Battle.net app by going to Start → Settings → Apps and uninstalling the Battle.net app from the list of installed programs.

Next, navigate to the folder containing the Battle.net directory:

1. Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialogue
  2. Type *C:\ProgramData* into the Open field and press Enter

Delete the Battle.net and Blizzard Entertainment folders.

Now download a new Battle.net app installer:

It will scan for games on your system and it should find Heroes of the Storm. Try launching the game again and see if that works. :slight_smile:

Thanks for answering! However, I’m afraid it failed to work…

Here’s the error code from that time
F5720E37-C112-40B9-A92B-1F391EF48CEB

Hey Nintales,

It looks like you may have AVG running, so make sure the Blizzard app and the games are added as exclusions in that security software. You could also try disabling AVG temporarily after that.

Hmm, I actually don’t have AVG… ^^;

May also be Avast. The line that we were seeing from the crash log is this:

DBG-MODULE<00007FFDD6E50000 00012000 “aswhook.dll”

Can do a search on the computer for that file and see if anything comes up.

Back on it. Uninstalled avast and the ashwook.dll file disappeared…

But the fatal error’s still there.

Here’s the code
D6CE24A6-DF59-4740-A8A1-0F0FC88A276A