Am I in the wrong here? What do you think of rainbow teams vs non-rainbow in ranked?

TLDR - "In ranked I should not be forced into having multiple teammates 4-5 levels under me, while my opponents of equal level do not have this same handicap."

It’s pretty simple. Either stop matching me into comedically imbalanced teams, or I quit.

Having a plat 2 queue up with a bunch of gold 4’s and 5’s, and just assuming they can handle being up against plat 4’s and 5’s is a moronic form of RANKED matchmaking.

Worse still is repeatedly forcing me onto their side without a choice. I did not choose to group with them, I do not want to play with them against a stronger team in ranked. Over, and over again.

I can’t win if my teammates are being forced into a Dunning Kruger’s situation; where they aren’t skilled enough to tell what is going wrong, or how they are being beaten.

I’ll play with equal ranks on each side. I’ll wait longer in queue to not have a clueless angry ball and chain strapped to my leg. I WOULD LOVE to be put against them, but I refuse to be placed with them anymore.

So I’m done playing solo in ranked this season, if it’s not changed by next season, I’ll just stop playing and find another game.

Usually teams have such imbalance because there are rainbow party on one side or because the MMS cannot find people with the same skill level before expanding the search.

It may happens, but is not so common, if not maybe on low population regions or in strange time. On what server are you? What time it was when you get those matches?

Being placed with the rainbow party is my complaint.

Incorrect. If 30 seconds after leaving a match, I am placed with the same rainbow team, against the same non-rainbow opponents, Blizz is not expanding the search. That WAS the intended search.

It happens quite often. The majority of my ranked games so far.

If prime time on a Saturday in North America West is low pop, then this game is dead and I should move on.

My complaint is simple. I refuse to be forced into playing with teammates who are literally out of their league.

A simple checkbox of “Would you like to be matched with groups of lower MMR players for faster matchmaking?” is all that would be required. I’ll happily wait longer in queue.

I am a master and I am always placed on the worst team

This storm league is horrible

2 Likes

Not to be like that, but I don’t notice much skill difference between a random guy in gold league and one in plat league. They tend to perform , on average, about the same.

2 Likes

If you are a gold player and you are grouping with a plat or diamond, You should automatically be placed against the same rank of plats or diamonds. Allowing a diamond player to group with golds and be matched with high golds or low plats is honestly bullcrap. This season is so messed up on how it should be and its causing many players to quit.

This game was doing so well but seems like blizzard is trying to kill it.

1 Like

It’s good to know it’s not just me.

I started plat 1 and have been trolled down to gold 4. I just stop playing cause i would say 80% of my losses are not cause the team is outplayed but cause someone rages and quits 5 minutes into the game, a afker or something along those lines.

1 Like

That can often be true; a Gold 1 and a Plat 5 are pretty much the same skill-wise. But I’ll give a clearer example of what I’ve been running into.

If I was Plat-5, then the teams would have been:

Plat-5 Plat-5 Plat-5 Plat-5 Plat-5
-VS-
(Plat-3 Silv-1 Silv-1 Silv-1) Plat-5

That is too extreme of a skill difference to “average out,” and you would be able to tell the difference between a 3/5’s silver team VS a fully Plat team. It’s an ENTIRE ranked division away.

What I hate when seeing people 4-5 notches above me in my games is those people are over ranked, and the slow system wont lower them fast enough.

Something is very wrong when I am terrified to see a much higher ranked person in my game, and 9 out of 10 times they are a huge problem.

But it makes sense when you see the people in charge of the mmr system, people who you can tell have never played any team sports. They are just copying LOL mmr, which is not an accurate way to do this type of game.

You should be!

Because you, You, YOU! are most likely the problem, but cannot tell.

You are suffering from the “Dunning Kruger Effect” (click the link) because you are out of your league.

You would be the Silver tied to my Plat ankle, angry and convinced you are better, caused by your inability to see what you are doing wrong, or what your team is doing right. The massive gulf in skill between you and your better teammate, prevents you from believing you are the weakest link, and listening to their instructions.

This game is not League of Legends!

You can go 10/10/0, have 7 Merc caps, top damage, top xp, get MVP, and be the sole reason your team lost.

Conversely you can go 0/0/10, have the lowest xp, no merc caps, no time on the obj, and be the unstoppable god who single-handedly won the game.

(I’ve had the pleasure of seeing a player do just that, while our lowest MMR player constantly complained.)

Long story short, if you think you are better than the players far above you, chances are you have been matched way too far outside your skill level, and are dragging them down.

I’ve had a ton of those situations as well, I’ve never tried tracking them to see how often it occurs.

Still, dodging a game costs you 3 losses, but throwing or AFKing a game causes you 1 loss. I think they need to invert those punishments.

Players need to be able to say “No, I’m not playing with this player or team” but be heavily punished for saying “HURRR DURRR I’M THROWING”

Otherwise all they are doing is forcing us into games with short matchmaking, and horrible teammates, we cannot choose to avoid. I don’t think that bodes well for the overall community and morale inside the game.

I know what inflated ego through inexperience is, you are not original with that BS cliche syndrome on this forum. The fact you are assuming I’m the problem when you don’t know anything about the situation proves you are the problem and you suffer form that syndrome.

Make no mistake you moron: you are being matched with lower levels because you are on the SLOW decline because you are over ranked. That was my point: your decline isn’t fast enough.

I have multiple accounts, in different regions and placed all over the place. Never got over 2000 because Q times are so long and I already quit; I also went from bronze to plat5 in a week (and when you get to plat you get the bad attitude “know it alls” like you.

… and now you are just repeating what i say… while thinking you’re disagreeing… god scum like you are the reason this game sucks, go find another free to play game your poor butt can only afford. Like destiny

You think silver and plat are different? 20 mistakes a minute = plat. 30 mistakes= silver. There’s no difference, just clueless kids like you who think they know how to play. In fact in my experience, the bad attitude lifer plat platers have far outweighs most silver/bronze lack of game-sense - at least they will listen or not say gg 3 minutes in.

It’s funny in plat/diamond the players who are great mechanically I fear the most, because they are low ranked for their terrible macro, and will throw games.

My favorite would be you pick tank as your preferred role in lobby, you refuse to talk to anyone at all and you do not show anything until you are the last pick then you suddenly something like lili and go dps build or abby and just split push all game.

I think its just gotten out of hand how so many people will not be punished for actions such as i have mentioned or the usual rage at 5minutes cause someone died 1 time then chat goes toxic and people quit and yeah.

I will agree that the dodging and afking and throwing needs to be inverted and any player who says kys (kill your self) should be instant banned.

1 Like

Yeah, I definitely agree on role trolling. Part of the problem is there really isn’t any enforcement built into selecting a role, at best it’s a time saver for communication of what you want to play. But I see plenty of people choosing Heal+Tank, then instantly locking a ranged assassin.

I think there should be some sort of “role lock” put in place, and you are only freed from your role choice if someone else locks 1 of that role. Flex has to pick last, and gets forced into the remaining roles, but they get to see what the teams are like before picking.

Or maybe a quick majority team vote CS:GO style if you try to pick a champ outside your selected roles. (Also make people own X amount of that role before playing ranked, so they can’t get banned/picked out of their roster.)

But even then it’s a fine line when restricting players choice in this game. I feel that HOTS is a game without a strict Meta unlike other mobas, as there are plenty of creative ways to win.

Oh, I think we can all sympathize with having to suffer through those players with horrific attitudes. www.penny-arcade. com/comic/2004/03/19 They never seem to be in short supply, or too far away.

You’ve got me intrigued. I’m not gonna argue with you, I’m just gonna ask for some clarification on some things; like that quote.

How do you envision the way matchmaking works?

• Are you saying Plat players are equal to Silvers so the teams were balanced?
  • Or are you saying that my MMR should be equal to a Silver, so I’m being matched with Silvers, against an entire team of Plat?
  • Shouldn’t I be put against the Silvers if I am a lower MMR? If they could beat me… they’d go up, I’d go down. (Other wise it’d be like matchmaking the football teams: Kindergartners VS. NFL All-stars, that isn’t equal matchmaking. )

Cool.

I’m not sure where you are getting your MMR numbers from, but if you are using the old Hotslogs site, 2000 is Plat. so…

I don’t understand.

• You have never gotten to Plat because queue times are too long, but you can instantly get to plat whenever you feel like it?

I take it you’d be unable to show and prove a history of consistently high Plat-Diamond rankings? Because…

• it’s on another account
  • Ranks aren’t real
  • Gold or Silver is where you prefer to be
  • You could have been Diamond but you didn’t feel like it.
  • etc.

( Going forward, I’m guessing you normally rank Gold by the way you talk?)

When it comes to Ranked play…

• Do you believe “Ranks” separate players by approximate skill?
  • If you view no real difference between Silver and Plat, do you also view no real difference between Bronze and your most commonly attained rank?

From your perspective, what do you think is more likely?

• that the Plat & Diamond Ranks above you are filled with “Bad attitude know-it-alls” who are worse at understanding the flow of the game (or “Macro game”) compared to you.
  • or that when you rise through the Ranks, the “Macro game” changes, becoming more rapid and complex. Meaning the players above you who have more experience, are the ones you should be listening to and learning from. Because you may be unable to tell what actions constitute “throwing a game” at this new rank.

When you assume you make an AS’ out of U and ME. When you have numbers that’s means masters, but you wouldn’t know anything about that, now would you. Lol.

Your “questions” have no purpose, and hardly make sense. So i will not answer the ones that are such:

When you are climbing the ranks, you are matched with people higher than you, and vice versa. Ive climbed from bronze5 to D5 and lowered from gold to bronze. And also form D5 to around 1800~ i forget. Unless they changed it recently, and i cant find where anything substantial like that has been mentioned, then that’s the way it still is. An extreme example is if your start a bronze5 and win mostly every game, you can be silver matching with platinum or higher. And again, vice versa.

So if you are matched with a bunch of lower people, you are being dropped like the trash blizzard thinks you are. In your defense they are more often than not: wrong.

Now you are a Masters player who falls from Gold down to Bronze?

And can’t answer simple questions on how you think matchmaking works because questions like “Do you believe “Ranks” separate players by approximate skill?” just don’t make sense to you.

Sorry, until you provide proof, I’m gonna have to treat you as a troll.

Regardless of if you are a Troll or Master, you clearly don’t understand how matchmaking works, so this is a learning opportunity for you!

As it’s the exact opposite of what you said, being matched WITH lower Ranks against an equal or higher Ranked team is a sign matchmaking considers me equal or better than my current Rank.

Matchmaking seeks to create balanced teams, it does not deliberately create unbalanced teams as you suggest.

And it certainly does not create a weaker team VS a stronger team in a plot to cause you to fall down the ranks.

That is some conspiracy level nuttery right there.

(and once again you fall into conflicting statements. “YOU SUCK AND ARE FALLING CAUSE YOU SUCK, BUT I SHOULD BE MASTERS REGARDLESS OF BEING ABLE TO FALL DOWN TO BRONZE.” )

Being matched WITH lower Ranks against an equal or higher Ranked team means matchmaking thinks someone on your team has MMR higher than their Rank. Or an opponent’s MMR is lower than their rank.

Being matched AGAINST a lower MMR is the sign you are in decline, because the game treats you as equal to that lower rank. And should a lower rank beat you, then you have proven you are equal to or less than that Rank.

And that isn’t even the case here, or my complaint. As a calculation is applied to premade groups like a Plat 3 + Three Silvers.

It does its best to come up with an MMR number that reflects the fact they are grouped (and should be coordinated +MMR), detects there is an extreme Rank discrepancy ( and attempts to balance the groups MMR into one total value, then +MMR to counter boosting.)

The problem lies in the “averaging” of extreme discrepancies for teams; something ELO systems were never built for, and doesn’t work in HOTS.

Paraphrasing TotalBiscuit’s comments on HOTS:
HOTS is an extremely team and objective based game. Showing up with a team of equally capable teammates is extremely important, as no hero is as capable of carrying an entire team on their back like you can in other MOBAs. Individual performance does not reward individual power scaling, comebacks are extremely possible, and overall Hero power does not scale as high as other games.

And that is why rainbow teams need to be reigned in, or being matched with them needs to be a choice.

You cant tell me something different to what i experienced kid. You cant take back me being in silver being matched with plats.

Or how people like you ruin this game. You don’t even know what masters is. Like my irl friends when i invite a GM on our team… they’re like what the hell is that lol. I might read your bs someday. Today is not the day. I have things to do, you should at least focus on learning how to play, if you’re going to continue posting opinions on this game.

Instead of repeatedly dodging the question, you can just say: “No, I can’t.

I didn’t read that. Your text is annoying to read so I don’t, your writing voice is wordy and comes across as smug, while your content is usually factually wrong or your arguing with yourself by agreeing with me. When I want a good laugh i might.

No one can, its a dead game. Hots logs is even dead. And they showed me as masters even when I wasn’t because they just estimate based on people you play with, only including those who upload.

And the game has died because of people like you. I suggest watching YouTube or twitch on your future games you play, people who know how to play constantly mention what people do wrong, if your plat, you make dozens of mistakes in any game… so you can critically reflect and learn from your mistakes, you wont be here on a forum complaining about others.

In life all you can do is control yourself. So don’t focus on others.

Everyone can.

The highest rank attained every season is listed in your profile, and has been since day one. So, incorrect again.

Seems like all you do is whine and rage, while spouting misinformation :confused: