All About Imperius

Imperius is, currently, a well-designed hero.

He has three skill-shots, requires significant mana management, has well-known counters, and varying degrees of success on his baseline abilities. (From total failure, to one hit, to multiple hits with the same ability which can be seen as a “critical hit”.) In return for these Imperius is given exceptional bonuses against other heroes. Exceptional bonuses which are overly focused upon instead of what leads up to those bonuses.

That said, while Imperius is within the bounds of balanced heroes (currently at 52-53% winrate at Masters + Diamond using the balancing metric) his popularity is exceptionally high (22% pick rate with 44% ban rate) and will need some adjustments.

I believe, out of everyone on the forums, I am the most qualified individual to talk about changes to Imperius. I have been very accurate of my assessments of Imperius in the past, and my predictions of the effect of changes to Imperius. I care about Imperius’s hero design, but I am also objective with my assessments of him.

If the game designers wish to minimally effect Imperius’s gameplay/winrate, while diversifying talent choice and reducing popularity I strongly suggest following these changes:

In game design, designers have to look at qualities versus quantity, (utilities vs magnitude) if the designer wants change with intricate control over the outcome, focus on quality.

First two changes will be quality based:

#1. Flash of Anger - Elephant in the room. After last patch’s nerf, Flash of Anger’s popularity predictably dropped from 90% to 95%. /s

Nerfing the magnitude of FoA will have no effect on its popularity, except eventually making level 7 a tier of 3 low winrate talents. This means magnitude nerfs only negatively affect a balanced hero instead of provide talent diversity. To affect FoA’s pick rate, you will have to change its quality.

The quality you must change is to remove FoA’s area of effect damage. No change to damage, no change to shield, just the removal of AoE. The AoE is invisible damage that has much stronger impact than players realize.

Using this famous Imperius clip, you can see at 00:50 that the AoE allows him to kill two additional targets. Without that AoE damage to simultaneously attack Azmodan and Greymane, it is unlikely Imperius would have been able to win that 2v5.

#2. Holy Fervor - The honey badger in the room is Holy Fervor, sitting at 3% popularity with 30% winrate, somehow he keeps escaping discussion.

Remove all non-hero damage. Holy Fervor now only damages heroes, this brings HF directly in line with Flash of Anger. Next, increase HF’s damage depending on the number of heroes Imperius cleaves. There’s multiple ways to do this, I’m confident in Blizzard’s ability to do so.

As the designer you need to send a message to Imperius players; Flash of Anger is for single target, Holy Fervor is for AoE team fights. Imperius players will pick up on this.

This also has the benefit of diverting Impaling Light players from auto-picking Flash of Anger.

#3. Impaling Light - Finally, a talent that Narha and I both agree has its issues. While some players insisted nerfing Flash of Anger’s damage was the fix, Impaling Light’s popularity curiously increased from 50% to 75%, seemingly as if Impaling Light is a strong talent on its own.

Meanwhile Burn the Impure is sitting at a shockingly overpowered 48% winrate, even dipping to 44%, from its comfortable 51% winrate before the FoA nerf.

If only someone had mentioned these issues multiple times.

Anyways, this change will be based on magnitude because this talent just has too much potential power.

Impaling Light now reduces the cooldown of Q from 10 to 9 seconds. The bonus cooldown reduction is reduced from 1.25 seconds to .75 seconds. The change in cooldown reduction per Valorous Brand looks more like this:

Brands___________10 ____________9
1(1)_______________1.25 _________1.75
2__________________2.5 __________2.5
3__________________3.75 _________3.25
4(2) _______________5_____________4
5__________________6.25 _________4.75
6__________________7.5___________5.5
7(3)_______________8.75__________6.25
8__________________10____________7
9________________________________7.75
10(4)____________________________8.5
11______________________________9.25
12_______________________________10
13(5)

10 is current, 9 is adjusted, ()'s are minimum players required. This allows for the mythical 5 man stun instant reset, while adjusting the talent to provide significant stun reduction, but not as many “stun resets”.

Note that these are only first-round changes, naturally what I would expect to happen is Impaling Light would fall more in line with BTI, and Flash of Anger will finally share some popularity with Holy Fervor (depending on how Blizzard does it; I’m partial to Brands Consumed dealing AoE damage.)

All data comes from Heroesprofile as of today’s posting date.

1 Like

Can we have imperius balanced like nova is so he may disapear from the game and we stop having those threads already?

For you point on Holy Fervor, there’s only 30 registered games. It’s not enough to point out its win rate.
In the past, when it was on a 25 sec cd, its win rate was fine. That’s from 2.44.1 to 2.46.0. They increased the cd to 30 sec to shift the meta talent even though it was balanced. I believe that putting the cd again to 25 sec would be a fine adjustment.

Just me or did the imperius in the clip not use his ult? (He uses it, the swords survive, but he doesnt use the offensive part…?)

Oh I agree that the data is limited, but I feel there’s a reason why it’s limited. (For example, the previous patch had 200 games, and it still had a 43% winrate. The patch before that had 600 games at 45% winrate.)

Since the patch 2.46.1, the win rate is on average 47.83% on at least 12k games. Pretty weak talent.

To me, Imperius feels like Thrall in multiple points. But, I’ll just specify one of them. The waveclear. Thrall has it with Echo of the Elements lvl 1 and Follow Through lvl 7. Imperius has it with Consuming Flame lvl 1 and Holy Fervor lvl 7.

What you’re proposing is to get rid of one of his waveclear talent for an other hero dmg talent. I don’t think it’s fair. Don’t you think decreasing the cd to 25 sec like before would be better?

1 Like

Not really, people aren’t picking Imperius for waveclear, especially at level 7.

I’m essentially splitting FoA’s popularity by taking away a quality that helps makes it popular, and giving that to Holy Fervor instead.

This also has the added benefit of making Blaze of Glory the de-facto PvE talent.

You can start by not posting something so meaningless, pointless and childish in the first place.

@OP

Very good suggestions and analysis I believe that his level being tuned down would simply make a adjustment while open for possibilities of other builds to be buffed for him.

Maybe this change will also move him out of the tank role he’s being frequently chosen in recently but I doubt that.

Wtf? No hero should be balanced like that.

1 Like

But some heroes are nonetheless.
Removing brand of solarion and having IL be useless by limiting it to one hero or something would suffice

Rule of thumb, whenever someone says, “I am the most qualified” out of dozens or hundreds of people, immediately begin taking whatever they say with a grain of salt. They probably aren’t.

For example, this:

will cause exactly this:

You don’t just remove things wholesale and say, “I only changed the quality, not the quantity.”

That quality you just removed brings a ton of quantity. What you’re proposing is a big nerf, and you didn’t even bother proposing any compensatory buffs to it or his other level 7 talents.
In fact, not only did you never even mention Blaze of Glory (Imperius’ worst level 7 talent), you’re proposing nerfs to his only other level 7 talent that even approaches a balanced state:

First off, you’re just removing flex-utility from Imperius with this, which is both a nerf and generally just bad design.

Second, it’s already got a 46% winrate overall (as lucifer points out, your “30% winrate” is based on a sample size of 30 games in D+M, which means it is unreliable at best).

Third, why would we want to make this talent fill in exactly the same role as Flash of Anger anyway? Talents are supposed to provide more new and diverse ways of playing a hero, so why are you trying to strip that diversity out?

Neat, but A) this is still completely unnecessary and B) if you increase it’s damage enough to actually compensate for the nerf you’re giving it, you’ll just simply be making it the new problematic talent when paired with Brand of Solarion at level 20.
Instead of competing with Flash of Anger, this talent will just be replacing it.

Key word here being “seemingly.” Impaling Light is nice, but it only becomes a powerhouse if your teammates reliably follow up on your Qs or once you pick Flash of Anger.

And, once again, pickrate tells you nothing about the talent’s performance, so citing that is useless distracting fluff.

I don’t think you’re considering how your proposed changes will interact with the current state of talents, because once again you’re simply going to be replacing one “dominant” talent with another.

BTI already synergizes quite well with Holy Fervor (it’s just that HF isn’t really worth picking). Paired with the amount of extra damage you’d need to give HF to compensate for removing it’s PvE component, you’d end up skyrocketing BTI’s winrate at the same time you’re trying to gut Impaling Light and FoA.

It seems to me that the summary of what you’re proposing is simply to replace Q build with an AA build as his only viable build, which basically solves nothing.

I suppose that since people keep complaining about Zeratul we should do the same for him, then? Just go ahead and nerf him into the dirt so we can stop worrying about him?

Are you going to pretend people don’t want that to happen for him and samuro?
Please
Some people who love the hero will still play and may get better playing an handicapped hero, some will just stop playing.
It happened before for zeratul and all kind of heroes or wow classes so i’m used to it.
It just is funny people try to pretend they give a care about balance when it does not concern what they play.

No. I’m quite aware that many people just want heroes they don’t like guttered.

The point of my response was to… encourage, shall we say, you not to be one of them.

1 Like

I don’t think you adress this at the right person but i can respect that.